University of Central Missouri

mocm

Anybody have any experience with UCM's aviation department? I'm currently in tech school for the Air National Guard and UCM is a big possibility for me when I get back home. TA and the GI Bill will help out with costs, but I don't know how it all works with flight fees and what not. Any info is appreciated

Anybody have any experience with UCM's aviation department? I'm currently in tech school for the Air National Guard and UCM is a big possibility for me when I get back home. TA and the GI Bill will help out with costs, but I don't know how it all works with flight fees and what not. Any info is appreciated
There are quite a few alums on here. I don't know how much we can help you, other than point you to the right people, as most of us left there over 3-4 years ago, and the program has completely changed since then.

Based on the past, they have always worked well with the GI Bill. Whiteman AFB is 10 miles away, so they get a lot of people from there. The new head honcho there (I lost track if he was Dean, or dept. chair) is a recent AF retiree, and ex-B2 pilot, so I would guess it's even more military friendly now. The program redesign is for the better, and the program is really strong now. Personally, I would highly recommend it.

If you happen to visit campus, be sure to sit down and talk to Dr. John Horine. He is a true legend in aviation. As far as money goes, talk to Scotti out at the airport. She handles all the money for flight fees, and will be able to advise you best.

Feel free to PM me if you have an questions

I'd be happy to answer any questions as well.

I graduated from UCM Aviation in 2009.

And I haven't been back since. If you're going to spend that much money on a flight education, go someplace that won't waste your time, then kick you in the teeth by grossly underquoting the realistic cost of training to draw you in (the financially responsible but dangerously unknowing, trusting investor) and making obtaining more debt to follow through to completion a pain in the $%^. At UND or ERAU, sure you'll pay more, but you'll complete your tickets and possibly even cheaper than running your bill up with wasted time in Warrensburg. AND the UND/ERAU cardboard (degree) makes a better point for conversation in an interview than 'Warrensburg? Where's that?' That's from experience.

The problem with UCM Aviation is they treated people like crap. Both their own as well as their students (or, in my eyes, their CUSTOMERS that now write REVIEWS for them). Which is a tregedy, because people like the above referenced Dr. John Horine are indeed fantastic assets to the University, to the student populus, and to Aviation. But the people with the most influence in UCM Aviation are not those with power in that department, and for that reason, as I left, it was suffering to the point their accreditation was in question.

Notice, I said treatED. The new guy in charge: Monetti is his name. He's a genuine man, from what I understand, and is making fantastic progress turning the place around. I'd venture to say that I'd give it a second look if I was ever in the neighborhood, but the sour taste left from what it once was is tough to overcome. At this point, I wouldn't send my kid to school there, that's for sure. But again, 2009 was 5 years ago. Things change, and, to a lesser extent, so do people.

Hello guys,

Does anybody knows if their flight instructor positions at UCM are paid by the hour or you have a salary.

Thanks

UCM's flight school is as crooked as ever. The faculty will treat you like garbage. Just wait and see. TexasT couldn't of been more accurate with his comment. I actually question the flight school's accreditation. They operate out of a moldy hangar and have cubicles that make your shortcomings public to everyone during the debrief. As a graduate of the program I would not recommend the school to anyone.

Bummer to hear about all the problems in the past with the brick and mortar flight department but I am in the MS Aviation Safety online right now and have no complaints.

Necropost, I know, but stumbled back on this, and some of what has been said irked me.

@PropSettin' and @mocm, sometimes, you have to hear what's not being said with the complaints. As with most every institution that is out there, you get out of it what you bring to the table. If you bring an attitude problem, or unrealistic expectations to the table, then you will have a bad experience. I myself had a great experience, and feel that my career has been well served by my time and money spent at UCM. I know a significant number of UCM grads that have gone on to do very well in the industry.

Back