United's new commercial

Timbuff10

United\'s new commercial

Check it out!

http://www.unitedrhapsody.com/commercial/

I know I have been very critical about United in my posts on here in the past but I think this commercial is great!

Something about that song just gives me that "I wanna be a pilot" feeling all over again. Although I thik they should have focused on their planes or at least shown them a bit more... Very classy commercial in my opinion!

Re: United\'s new commercial

I like it, but it is WAY too confusing. Maybe it's just that I haven't actually been in the corporate world. Either way, I like the new track they are taking as far as branding themselves. Maybe this will help some.

Ethan

I like the look...and I like the feel. But it doesn't make me want to do anything. There's no call to action...which if I recall, is one of the rules in the ad world.

It works to grab your attention and watch the commercial all the way through...the hardest thing to do in advertising. But I agree with Bert, it doesn't make me feel compelled to go and book my next trip with United.

United doesn't want you to pick up the phone and say I'm going to fly you guys just because of the ad. That's what their ads in the paper pushing low fares are for.

What they want to do with this campaign is stay in your mind as a cool airline to fly on so that when you do fly, you think about them.

Does anyone go and buy beer when you see a beer ad, for example? I don't. But it's good for keeping the brand in people's minds when they do head to the liquor store.

Thats kinda what I was thinking when i saw it the first time. It just something about that Rhapsody in blue song. I just associate it with the thrill of flying and sometimes it even gives me the chills a bit... you know the good ones. a planegasm!

The only problem is, even though they have the new commercial, I hope that guy booked months in advance and ended up finding a nice place to stay to fullfill his two day stay requirement... see the thread about "United compared to selling paint" from last week... They may have a new commercial but its still the same old United me thinks.

My guess is that the campaign is all image. It's to make you think, yeah, United can help me get somewhere when I need to fly. You'll note that there was not one mention of fares or costs or anything like that in the spot. It was all about how United can help you get to an interview so that you can get the job.

I'm also not sure about this, but I think they're playing a bit on the bubble cartoon ads that American ran back in the 60s. Those ads are used in advertising classes as an example of a great campaign.

I think its a pretty boring ad to be quite honest. I was a big fan of the AA ads right after 9-11 that showed all the aircraft, employees, passengers, etc and had really great music. This ad puts me to sleep. I know the Rhapsody is United's song, but the storyline and the lack of color is plain terrible.

I saw the commercial and speaking as a former ad agency type, what hit me was the new tagline, "It's time to fly". In a word, awesome. It's crazy, but people need direction; even if it's something they've been thinking to themselves, they need to hear it from someone else before they'll actually believe it. The new spot pretty much says this: "yeah, we know you've been a little apprehensive about air travel since 9/11. Perfectly understandable, but ya know what? It's safe to get back in the water; get back on that horse, it's time to fly." It's damn near poetic.

Also, it targets the business traveler which is what they really need.

Very classy i thought. It remind me of the old united commercials where they had the classical music, cant remember teh name of the song, but glad to see they are advertising. I hope to see Continental, Delta, and USAir back to advertising soon too.

any comments on the artwork folks?

beachlady_218X371.jpg

Reminds me of the starbucks when it initially began: get people to come to a classier, more user-friendly cafe....

Remember the old Delta commercials based at twilight with the Enya music? Those were great, they made me want to go travel somewhere at night!!

that wasn't enya... that was ADIEMUS, very similar. I have the mp3, I'll send it to you if you PM me. I'd put it on my site, I'm just afraid the bandwith would get shot.

Back