United to require minimum stay

gtpilot

Why would United require this? All this is going to do is drive more business travelers over the to the fractionals, if they're not there already.

Who are the idiots who come up with these ideas? If you need to raise the ticket price, then raise the ticket price. Don't charge for the ticket, charge for the bag, charge for the snack, require a minimum stay, etc. If I can swipe the credit card once and be done with the whole thing, I would be much happier.

They actually ARE increasing their prices. If the low fares require a stay of a day or two or a weekend stay, then the net effect will be to jack up prices, especially for business travelers who want to fly in that morning and fly back that night.

All the reason as a business traveler, I go with Southwest more and more. Their Business Select allows me to board first, deplane first, and I get to decide where I want to sit.. FIRST!

The legacy airlines are behind the times in many respects.

I flew NWA from PHX to MSP this last week and will NEVER fly NWA again. Not because the service was bad but rather because the seats were as old as my grandma, the planes had no technology for the long haul (ie TV or inflight WiFi) all for the price I could've flown jetBlue or even Delta.

I flew to NYC recently on USAir. What a joke that airline continues to be. Again, I'll never fly on them for business. My time is too valuable both in the air and on the ground.

I am amazed that companies like jetBlue and Frontier haven't DOMINATED the marketplace with their in flight options. The legacy carriers are just that, an old [dinosaur] legacy.

Who are the idiots who come up with these ideas? If you need to raise the ticket price, then raise the ticket price. Don't charge for the ticket, charge for the bag, charge for the snack, require a minimum stay, etc. If I can swipe the credit card once and be done with the whole thing, I would be much happier.

To the business traveler, United will certainly and quickly become an unpopular choice.

Nice move United!!

Why would United require this? All this is going to do is drive more business travelers over the to the fractionals, if they're not there already.

Do you know how much it costs to charter an aircraft? You have to realize the majority of the corporations don't have $20,000 per flight to cart their salespeople around.

I am amazed that companies like jetBlue and Frontier haven't DOMINATED the marketplace with their in flight options. The legacy carriers are just that, an old [dinosaur] legacy.

They really don't have the network that the bigger carriers do. You'd be surprised looking at the connections list.

But I do agree, their product is infinitely better. Agree 100% on SWA too, they are the shizzle. US Air is a joke, and with no extra cash to revitalize their fleet, Doug's hands are tied.

Well, its good to see everyone in agreement! :D However, my question is - why does United think minimum stays will help the bottom line? Why was a minimum stay required by most major airlines in the past?

Back