United Tells WW2 Zero Killer to Take an 8 hr Nap at LAX

Well, I'll probably get shot for saying this, however the fact the displaced passenger was a WWII vet is irrelevant to the story. Whether he is a member of the Duggar mob or a decorated veteran - it doesn't have any bearing on the profit of an airline. What if it said "Meth addicted drifter from the Midwest gets bumped off..." ? No one would care. Just a tactic used by the media the grab attention. I applaud the gentleman in the story for his military service, he participated in one of the greatest events of our military and lived to tell about it.

People in the lowest handful of fare classes go on a potential "bump" list in order of check-in in these situations. I heard people on the news talking about the guys actual weight. Sorry, he weighs 185lbs as far as United is concerned. They take volunteers, but in a situation where you need more than a handful, someone will always get bumped. If the man had a wheelchair or special service request, they wouldn't be able to involuntarily deny him boarding. So I'm guessing he did not. It is usually elderly folks and families on these lists as they have no miles and don't check in online. It happens a lot. I'm sure anyone who flies the Bro for Skywest has seen weight restrictions of 20 or less out of 30 pax for SFO-OTH. Hell, even when UA to Hawaii was mostly wide-bodies up until a year or so ago, the 777 flights to OGG would sometimes get weight restrictions of 30-40 people depending on the winds over there.

I like how everyone is up in arms, but obviously no one on the flight was willing to give up their seat for the guy.

Last edited:
People in the lowest handful of fare classes go on a potential "bump" list in order of check-in in these situations. I heard people on the news talking about the guys actual weight. Sorry, he weighs 185lbs as far as United is concerned. They take volunteers, but in a situation where you need more than a handful, someone will always get bumped. If the man had a wheelchair or special service request, they wouldn't be able to involuntarily deny him boarding. So I'm guessing he did not. It is usually elderly folks and families on these lists as they have no miles and don't check in online. It happens a lot. I'm sure anyone who flies the Bro for Skywest has seen weight restrictions of 20 or less out of 30 pax for SFO-OTH. Hell, even when UA to Hawaii was mostly wide-bodies up until a year or so ago, the 777 flights to OGG would sometimes get weight restrictions of 30-40 people depending on the winds over there.

I like how everyone is up in arms, but obviously no one on the flight was willing to give up their seat for the guy.

This is why "crowd sourcing" a solution through social media is a failed proposition.

Back