United Pilots reach Agreement in Principle

A) Scope Choke is working

B) In the initial communications concerning these talks, scope was an item to NOT be discussed.

Is it working, really? You guys keep buying new seventy-five seaters, for the likes of Mesa and SKYW.Fifty seaters are goin away, yes. But it just seems to be more of a swap out of fifty seaters for seventy seaters. So while yes there is less regional glut out there absent fifty seaters, the regionals are just getting newer plans that fly longer/farther. And less "regional" than the planes they're replacing.

Is it working, really? You guys keep buying new seventy-five seaters, for the likes of Mesa and SKYW.Fifty seaters are goin away, yes. But it just seems to be more of a swap out of fifty seaters for seventy seaters. So while yes there is less regional glut out there absent fifty seaters, the regionals are just getting newer plans that fly longer/farther. And less "regional" than the planes they're replacing.

Yep! It is working! The above post explains it nicely.

UAL doesn't have MEMRAT?

I think this is the opposite issue. The concern isn't that the MEC will sign something without the membership getting a chance to vote on it but rather that the MEC will kill this without letting the membership vote on it.

EDIT: I see Seggy already posted this answer. nevermind.

The number of 76 seaters they can outsource is limited, much lower than the # of 50 seaters. In fact, they've pretty much reached the limit already. The only relaxation that can happen is if they bring the E190/CS100 onto their own certificate. Then again, the number of 76 seaters is capped at a hard number.

When we were voting on our JCBA they had comparisons from different airlines and I was surprised to see that 50-70 seats is another category outside of the 76 seat limit.
Can they add more of those 66 seat crj-700s?

There's a hard limit on the number of 70+76 seaters they can have too. I believe this is actually the number they are currently running up against...so no, they couldn't add 66 seaters.

Another numbers example of scope choke at United doing its job is this: UAL can have a max of 255 (could be off by a few on this) total RJ's in the UAX system. They can bring that number up to a total of 325 (what I believe DAL allows total) but to bring that number up to 325 then United would have to bring the New Small Narrow Bodies to mainline and actually have them on property and ready to fly with United pilots. I don't recall the ratios of NSNB's to RJ's but it would mean significant growth on the United side with regards to pilots.

United is pretty much at or very close to the 255 and because they're unable to add anymore RJ's the company has pretty much resorted to buying the used 319's we've heard about to cover the flying. In the end due to the scope choke, United is stuck between having to decide if they want some used First Gen E190/195's or waiting a few years for the Second Gen 190/195's/CS100's or adding 319's to cover that flying instead. The other issue is will United have the patience or time to wait a few years for a NSNB and if not are they willing to go with some used 190/195's that are available or can they find enough 319's to fill the gap for now?

Either way, scope choke is working and it's a win win for both mainline and regional pilots.

Little bit off topic, but the united FFD call mentioned that they want to see around 3-4 LOR's on a pilot's airline apps. Does anybody know if they like to see internals, fellow pilots, or just any letter from someone that would recommend you?

Little bit off topic, but the united FFD call mentioned that they want to see around 3-4 LOR's on a pilot's airline apps. Does anybody know if they like to see internals, fellow pilots, or just any letter from someone that would recommend you?

They can be from folks who can speak about your character. Doesn't matter who they are.

Any clue on how long until the details are made public? Seems like the agreement was reached a few weeks ago.

To Our Fellow Pilots,

As you are aware, the United Master Executive Council has been meeting in special session this week to consider a UPA Extension Letter of Agreement (LOA) that was negotiated with the Company. Your elected representatives received the final language of the Tentative Agreement (TA) on Tuesday, December 15th.

After a week of review, we received a full briefing by the MEC Chairman, Negotiating Committee, Subject Matter Experts and ALPA’s Economic & Financial Analysts. The MEC deliberated for the past two days on the contents and merits of this agreement. This morning the MEC voted 13-7 to accept and endorse the TA and unanimously agreed to send it to you for your consideration.

Over the next few weeks you will receive information from the Negotiating Committee and have the opportunity to engage your representatives and ask questions of the Negotiators. The decision to accept or reject this agreement will rest with you.

Fraternally,

The UAL MEC

Please find attached with this email a copy of the UPA Extension Tentative Agreement, as well as an Executive Summary of the document and a Redline Copy of the changes to the current UPA.

Balloting for the Extension LOA will begin on Tuesday, January 5, 2016 and run until Friday, January 22, 2016. We will provide voting instructions once they become available.

We have built a webpage dedicated to the Extension Letter of Agreement. At www.ExtensionLOA.org (website active after 8pm CST, Dec 22), you will find documents, videos and a question-and-answer section to help you understand what is in this Tentative Agreement. We want you to make an informed vote, and this webpage is intended to help you do just that.

We are planning on conducting two webinars, scheduled for Monday, January 4 and Tuesday, January 5 that will address your questions concerning this TA. Dates, times and call-in information will be made available once plans are finalized.

We also have a dedicated Facebook page devoted to the TA. You can "like" this page by clicking here.

Prior to the opening of the ratification ballot, it is important that we have your current contact information in our ballot distribution database. Please go to the Update Email/Contact Info link on the MEC website to make sure we have your current email address and mailing address on file. If you cannot find your information or need to let us know of a change in email or mailing address, you can call ALPA Member Services at 888-FLY-ALPA (888-359-2572) to update your membership profile.

Please monitor your email inbox, the TA website and the dedicated Extension LOA Facebook page for updates and important information on the UPA Extension LOA.

I have attached the documents.

Here is also a video link...

https://vimeo.com/user13985327/review/149189960/2c11225e47

I think this will easily pass 70%. It is a good deal and will be voting yes.

Attachments

• UPA Extension LOA Language FINAL 12-15-15.pdf
    122.5 KB · Views: 227
  • UPA Extension TA Overview MR Final2.pdf
    530.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Extension LOA Redlined-vs-UPA Final.pdf
    295.5 KB · Views: 127
What will it be @Seggy - CSeries or E-Jets?

If I had to take a WAG, I'd wager that which airframe they bring on board will depend on their planned implementation schedule. I imagine you can get an EMB-190 on property in a few weeks to start a new program, and then you can likely start funneling them into your program pretty quickly, with E2's coming online as soon as they're available.

The C-Series? Not so much. Oh and additionally, you'd have to roll with the punches of being the first major operator of the aircraft.

Again, just a WAG.

Back