United Pilots reach Agreement in Principle

If I had to take a WAG, I'd wager that which airframe they bring on board will depend on their planned implementation schedule. I imagine you can get an EMB-190 on property in a few weeks to start a new program, and then you can likely start funneling them into your program pretty quickly, with E2's coming online as soon as they're available.

The C-Series? Not so much. Oh and additionally, you'd have to roll with the punches of being the first major operator of the aircraft.

Again, just a WAG.

I think used sister-ship E190/E195's (like the Boeing Capital/Air Canada planes) are going to be tougher to come by now, at least in the quantity UAL needs, so they may be looking toward new. That is, unless UAL is comfortable taking 1-2 aircraft from various airlines/leasing companies in different configurations (would just be a logistical/technical ordeal re-configuring the different previous layouts, as opposed to sister-ships where you just reconfigure one layout 20+ times) - then they could piecemeal a fleet together. E2's won't come online until 2020+ so there's a bit of a gap to bridge.

I agree completely on the risk associated with being an effective launch customer (North America, at least). Hopefully this "launch" risk, as well as BBD company risk, is being priced into the acquisition/support costs of the aircraft.

Is there a displacement clause for E/C series? I know over here if you were on property at JCBA date your pay wouldn't drop if displaced to the small jets.

I think used sister-ship E190/E195's (like the Boeing Capital/Air Canada planes) are going to be tougher to come by now, at least in the quantity UAL needs, so they may be looking toward new. That is, unless UAL is comfortable taking 1-2 aircraft from various airlines/leasing companies in different configurations (would just be a logistical/technical ordeal re-configuring the different previous layouts, as opposed to sister-ships where you just reconfigure one layout 20+ times) - then they could piecemeal a fleet together. E2's won't come online until 2020+ so there's a bit of a gap to bridge.

I agree completely on the risk associated with being an effective launch customer (North America, at least). Hopefully this "launch" risk, as well as BBD company risk, is being priced into the acquisition/support costs of the aircraft.

If I were structuring the deal, I'd want to see things like a Bombardier service center magically showing up in a major MX hub and some kind of indemnification against loss of revenue when the aircraft inevitably goes down due to initial operating problems.

Problem being, who knows how much cash Bombardier can put up against potential losses. EMB is in a much better position to support a known airframe.

Like I said, academically interesting :)

If I had to take a WAG, I'd wager that which airframe they bring on board will depend on their planned implementation schedule. I imagine you can get an EMB-190 on property in a few weeks to start a new program, and then you can likely start funneling them into your program pretty quickly, with E2's coming online as soon as they're available.

The C-Series? Not so much. Oh and additionally, you'd have to roll with the punches of being the first major operator of the aircraft.

Again, just a WAG.

If I were structuring the deal, I'd want to see things like a Bombardier service center magically showing up in a major MX hub and some kind of indemnification against loss of revenue when the aircraft inevitably goes down due to initial operating problems.

Problem being, who knows how much cash Bombardier can put up against potential losses. EMB is in a much better position to support a known airframe.

C-Series hater! :)

The MEC put out a PRO and a CON statement concerning the agreement.

Attachments

• UPA Extension LOA PRO Statement 12.29.15 Final V3.1.pdf
    461.4 KB · Views: 137
  • Tentative Agreement Con Letter December 29 final.pdf
    472 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

Initial problems?

It's a Bombardier airline jet, son, there will always be problems.

Initial problems?

It's a Bombardier airline jet, son, there will always be problems.

Lies. There is nothing wrong with anything flying that Bombardier has ever produced. Just ask them and they'll be happy to tell you. I don't miss being on the fleet advisory board for the Q400...

Back