United Hiring (again!)

I think you meant don't go south or east of Downtown? Don't go south and if you go east, well, you know...

At one time, there was a proposal made to drain part of Lake Michigan to put in a new airport. Kind of an interesting story.

At one time, there was a proposal made to drain part of Lake Michigan to put in a new airport. Kind of an interesting story.

I'll stand by original thoughts from my younger years, when I thought of demolishing South Bend or Gary.

Daley was a moron and took the bulldozer down the original airport on the lake. I'll never forgive him for that.

With the NOC move to Arlington Heights, how feasible is it to live with someone working downtown? My wife works in the loop which, until recently, would have been ideal, but now the options seem limited without one of us taking hour+ commutes daily. Does anyone at UA know if it’s doable to live in the Logan/Lincoln Square or Irving Park areas? Would also imagine traffic at least wouldn’t be terrible with junior • shift hours lol

With the NOC move to Arlington Heights, how feasible is it to live with someone working downtown? My wife works in the loop which, until recently, would have been ideal, but now the options seem limited without one of us taking hour+ commutes daily. Does anyone at UA know if it’s doable to live in the Logan/Lincoln Square or Irving Park areas? Would also imagine traffic at least wouldn’t be terrible with junior • shift hours lol
There’s definitely folks living Logan Square and Irving Park, from what I’ve heard it’s not too bad.

Logan / Irving aren’t terrible. About 35 mins outbound for day shift. 45 - 60 depending on traffic inbound with kennedy construction to the California exit.

I live in Irving Park and I would say it has added a total of about 20 mins to my commute per day. There are also tolls.

To me living in the city is well worth adding 20 minutes to the commute.

I remember seeing a post that UA was going to be hiring 120 dispatchers this year…I take it that’s no longer happening?

I’ve heard there should be at least another posting here in the next few weeks for a late spring class as well as one more very likely but still tentative later in 2024 depending on actual need observed as the year goes on. Granted, however, this is just what I’ve seen from a post or two online and from what people in my shop have said. Could still be on track for multiple more classes

I remember seeing a post that UA was going to be hiring 120 dispatchers this year…I take it that’s no longer happening?
80 have been confirmed for the year so far. 40 have already started. Next two classes are still up in the air for their tentative start date. With all of the recent hiring, there is now a backlog on the international side and heard the training department is trying to play catch up with getting international quals going. I imagine the delays in aircraft deliveries may also be slowing down the growth and hiring slightly.

Last known plan for the final 40 to be hired this year was to start interviewing for the first class early June and the second class to begin interviewing early July just after 4th of July. Unknown start dates but if you look to the past. Folks that interview around that time tend to start in September/October. Unless anything changes, plan for another posting probably around late April/early May.

Bit of an unfortunate update for anyone that may have been anxiously awaiting for those next two classes to post. Finance pulled the plug on them due to the reduced growth forecasted for the remainder of this year tied to the issues from that company that makes aircraft in Seattle and Charleston are experiencing.
Definitely disappointing news, the update is still much appreciated and glad to know what’s going on. I’m sure I’m not the only one that’s been checking everyday

Bit of an unfortunate update for anyone that may have been anxiously awaiting for those next two classes to post. Finance pulled the plug on them due to the reduced growth forecasted for the remainder of this year tied to the issues from that company that makes aircraft in Seattle and Charleston are experiencing.
If the company across the pond was able to guarantee delivery at or close to what the USA company had promised would those 2 classes kept going?

If the company across the pond was able to guarantee delivery at or close to what the USA company had promised would those 2 classes kept going?
Initially 6 classes were approved for calendar year 2024. That was under the assumption of the 200+ new aircraft that were originally scheduled to be delivered this year. As those delivery numbers dwindled so did the classes.

Initially 6 classes were approved for calendar year 2024. That was under the assumption of the 200+ new aircraft that were originally scheduled to be delivered this year. As those delivery numbers dwindled so did the classes.
200? That's a remarkable number.

200? That's a remarkable number.
I mean they did order something like 700 planes through the end of the decade. Most were Boeing if I recall correctly. As someone above asked, Airbus isn’t in a position to really take on additional orders as they’re backed up for demand, and have the PW-GTF issue to also worry about. Now that spirit is forfeiting their orders through 2030, I’d imagine there’d be a mad bash between carriers to try and convert those orders for themselves. I obviously don't work in acquisition, but Airbus was already trying to covert orders from smaller carriers to larger carriers earlier this year when the AS incident happened.

I mean they did order something like 700 planes through the end of the decade. Most were Boeing if I recall correctly. As someone above asked, Airbus isn’t in a position to really take on additional orders as they’re backed up for demand, and have the PW-GTF issue to also worry about. Now that spirit is forfeiting their orders through 2030, I’d imagine there’d be a mad bash between carriers to try and convert those orders for themselves. I obviously don't work in acquisition, but Airbus was already trying to covert orders from smaller carriers to larger carriers earlier this year when the AS incident happened.
Honestly Airbus shot themselves in the foot when they decided to only offer one engine to airlines. If they had offered other engine configs alongside PW they would only have an issue with a small sector of customers who demanded PW engines vs entire fleets of grounded jets.

Back