United going after 22-yr old

No, United is not the government. And even if they were — rather, especially if they were — they would not have the power to stop someone from publishing information. You might want to check the First Amendment yourself if you believe otherwise.

MMmmmmmmmmmmmmm…. Depending on how they got the information.

Like if I copy and pasted a copyrighted news article.

Technically, I may or may not be in violation of their copyright if I reposted, if they really wanted to press the issue. But, by virtue of the magic of SEO, I'm actually driving more traffic to their site and… ultimately, eyeballs on their ads.

I'm not an attorney, but I drank moderately with one who had yet to pass the bar exam, but if his site is causing monetary damages to UAL, using UAL's (potentially proprietary) pricing information, a corporation with shareholders would be absolutely idiotic if they didn't try to shut it down.

You know what. This kid had used the system against it's creator. If they cast fix it, it's in them, not him. It just has brought to light how bad the system screws people. Fix the system, don't sue the messenger.

You know what. This kid had used the system against it's creator. If they cast fix it, it's in them, not him. It just has brought to light how bad the system screws people. Fix the system, don't sue the messenger.

Again, remember it's a faceless, soulless corporation with shareholders.

What part of "Congress shall make no law" is too difficult for you to grasp?/QUOTE]

Wow, you really don't understand the First Amendment, do you. If the person writing the blog were an employee of United, United could fire him but they cannot make him take down the information. That's because his employment isn't covered by the First Amendment, but what he posted is. You can look up the loads of case law on that yourself. If the person were an employee who disclosed confidential information then United could force the information be taken down. He wasn't. You can look up the loads of case law on that as well. If the information were copyrighted then United could file for copyright infringement. It isn't, and they didn't. You can look up the loads of case law on that yourself as well.

In your interpretation 60 Minutes and other news "exposés" would never come to light because, according to you, the private entities being exposed could merely demand the story not air or be printed.
What part of "Congress shall make no law" is too difficult for you to grasp?

Those are the first words in the first amendment. Now, go on, tell me what interpretation of the first amendment has the first damn thing to do with United Airlines, a private company. Please, by all means, cite some case law that shows it.

Otherwise, be a grown up, say I was wrong, and move along.

Wow, you really don't understand the First Amendment, do you. If the person writing the blog were an employee of United, United could fire him but they cannot force him take down the information. That's because employment is not covered under First Amendment protections. You can look up the loads of case law on that yourself. If the person were an employee who disclosed confidential information then United could force the information be taken down. He wasn't, and he didn't. You can look up the loads of case law on that as well. If the information were copyrighted then United could file for copyright infringement. It isn't, and they didn't. You can look up the loads of case law on that yourself as well. If the story were false United could potentially sue if it was defamatory. United isn't claiming that. You can look up the loads of case law on that yourself as well, because I'm not here to do your research for you and you are the one who is demonstrably ignorant on the subject. In other words, there is nothing this kid did that any news organization couldn't have done and United would have been powerless to stop because of . . . you guessed it . . . the First Amendment. And he's as protected as the news division at CBS. The only reason United is going after him is because they know he won't have the financial means to fight them. That is what they are counting on — not case law because there is no case law on their side in this and they know it.

In your interpretation 60 Minutes and other investigative reporting targeting companies or individuals would never come to light because, according to you, the private entities being exposed could merely demand the story not air or be printed. The mere fact that they are routinely on television and in print (including even "confidential" emails and intra-corporate memorandum) pretty much makes of mockery of what you think you know. Perhaps you'd care to pass along your theory of First Amendment protections only applying to those reporting on the government to the lawyers for Trinity Industries, Ford (Pinto), Greg Mortensen, those exposed in CBS's report on High Frequency Trading, pharmacy giants Sanofi and Novartis, and the hundreds to thousands of exposés run every year in the press and in blogs.

Finally, I'm not the one who needs to grow up. I actually passed my civics classes. And since you obviously did not, and since you do not know how to properly conduct yourself in discussions on the web in a polite and civilized manner, we're done here.

Good day.

MMmmmmmmmmmmmmm…. Depending on how they got the information.

Like if I copy and pasted a copyrighted news article.

Technically, I may or may not be in violation of their copyright if I reposted, if they really wanted to press the issue. But, by virtue of the magic of SEO, I'm actually driving more traffic to their site and… ultimately, eyeballs on their ads.

I'm not an attorney, but I drank moderately with one who had yet to pass the bar exam, but if his site is causing monetary damages to UAL, using UAL's (potentially proprietary) pricing information, a corporation with shareholders would be absolutely idiotic if they didn't try to shut it down.

Have to disagree with you, Derg. As far as I know United isn't pressing this as a copyright issue. And their pricing isn't proprietary if it's readily available for viewing at multiple websites, which I'm sure it is or you wouldn't be able to book online through multiple non-United channels.

The frequent flier community has been very active in this area for quite some time. "Hidden City" ticketing and "Fuel Dumping" (dropping the exorbitant fuel surcharges charged on international fares and award travel via same hidden city methods) have been very popular and simultaneously "encrypted" topics on sites like FlyerTalk.
Many facets of this same principal exist including a pricing error(now largely defunct) on LifeMiles(Avianca) award tickets which would charge domestic award rates for tickets from mainland US to Guam even with a connection in NRT, HND or ICN. You just do a carry-on and you could walk off the plane in NRT after flying trans-pac in ANA first class for less than the amount of miles it would cost you to fly in a crappy domestic first in a 3 class United plane to Hawaii.

Many more loopholes of a similar lucrative nature exist in this netherworld of travel hacking, with a few having to do with FAA/ICAO/IATA "translation" issues.

Have to disagree with you, Derg. As far as I know United isn't pressing this as a copyright issue. And their pricing isn't proprietary if it's readily available for viewing at multiple websites, which I'm sure it is or you wouldn't be able to book online through multiple non-United channels.

That's cool.

But it's pretty obvious UAL doesn't like it enough in order to sic it's legal department on it.

That's cool.

But it's pretty obvious UAL doesn't like it enough in order to sic it's legal department on it.

Oh, agreed. They hate it when this stuff gets publicized. But as I noted earlier, when a major news organization with its own legal department backing exposes this stuff they don't bother with it because they knew they can't win. This is strictly a legal intimidation maneuver, and I'd love to see them get called on it.

Why don't airlines just charge smaller airport passengers more?!?
Example: I was going from ATL to CLT two months ago. RT was like $500, but if I drove two hours to CHA and then flew "through" ATL, on the same flights, it was $198! Guess what? I decided to drive because it wasn't worth $500 to fly non stop and it wasn't worth $198 to drive two hours away to go through my hometown airport...

Why don't airlines just charge smaller airport passengers more?!?
Example: I was going from ATL to CLT two months ago. RT was like $500, but if I drove two hours to CHA and then flew "through" ATL, on the same flights, it was $198! Guess what? I decided to drive because it wasn't worth $500 to fly non stop and it wasn't worth $198 to drive two hours away to go through my hometown airport...

Makes me wonder how much it would have been if you went on Airways ATL - CLT - XXX, got off in CLT. Then booked Delta CLT - ATL - XXX and got off in ATL, probably still over 300 bucks with taxes and depending on how valuable your time is it might still have been better to drive.

Wow, you really don't understand the First Amendment, do you. If the person writing the blog were an employee of United, United could fire him but they cannot force him take down the information. That's because employment is not covered under First Amendment protections. You can look up the loads of case law on that yourself. If the person were an employee who disclosed confidential information then United could force the information be taken down. He wasn't, and he didn't. You can look up the loads of case law on that as well. If the information were copyrighted then United could file for copyright infringement. It isn't, and they didn't. You can look up the loads of case law on that yourself as well. If the story were false United could potentially sue if it was defamatory. United isn't claiming that. You can look up the loads of case law on that yourself as well, because I'm not here to do your research for you and you are the one who is demonstrably ignorant on the subject. In other words, there is nothing this kid did that any news organization couldn't have done and United would have been powerless to stop because of . . . you guessed it . . . the First Amendment. And he's as protected as the news division at CBS. The only reason United is going after him is because they know he won't have the financial means to fight them. That is what they are counting on — not case law because there is no case law on their side in this and they know it.

In your interpretation 60 Minutes and other investigative reporting targeting companies or individuals would never come to light because, according to you, the private entities being exposed could merely demand the story not air or be printed. The mere fact that they are routinely on television and in print (including even "confidential" emails and intra-corporate memorandum) pretty much makes of mockery of what you think you know. Perhaps you'd care to pass along your theory of First Amendment protections only applying to those reporting on the government to the lawyers for Trinity Industries, Ford (Pinto), Greg Mortensen, those exposed in CBS's report on High Frequency Trading, pharmacy giants Sanofi and Novartis, and the hundreds to thousands of exposés run every year in the press and in blogs.

Finally, I'm not the one who needs to grow up. I actually passed my civics classes. And since you obviously did not, and since you do not know how to properly conduct yourself in discussions on the web in a polite and civilized manner, we're done here.

Good day.
United is not the U.S government. That is the entire point you are missing. The only way the first amendment would be applicable is if United was owned and operated by the US Government.

There is a terms of service (contract) when people buy these tickets and this blatantly goes against that contract. Chances are the services these websites use for data collection also have such a contract. United likely wouldn't randomly go after the kid if they had no ammo.

Last edited:
Makes me wonder how much it would have been if you went on Airways ATL - CLT - XXX, got off in CLT. Then booked Delta CLT - ATL - XXX and got off in ATL, probably still over 300 bucks with taxes and depending on how valuable your time is it might still have been better to drive.
Just tried it for some leave I have in February...
ATL to CLT RT is $172!
US Airways ATL-CLT-JAX
Delta CLT-ATL-BWI

Basically the exact same times for flights is $387 on Delta and US Airways!

$269 with starting and ending from CHA...

Pilots who want a raise, defending a business whose main goal is to find cheaper airfares by exposing holes in the system.

Yeeeeeeeeah, Peter, I'm gonna need you to go ahead and come in on Saturday.
Causality is a difficult thing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about shaking my first at "The Machine", but I don't work for a $5 billion dollars in profit corporation focused on giving shizzle away for free or cheap.

and tha' bass.

United is not the U.S government. That is the entire point you are missing. The only way the first amendment would be applicable is if United was owned and operated by the US Government.

Oh, I don't think I'm missing anything here. What this kid is doing is no different than if he posted advertised Sunday supplement specials from the local newspaper of differing prices for an X-Box. And it would be no different than Target going after him because he pointed out that Best Buy had a better deal.

Let me illustrate why this is so ludicrous using past mainstream and nontraditional media outlet stories to show how this kid is being targeted not for what he's posting, but because United knows he doesn't have the resources to fight back.
And that is but a sampling of many, many articles going back years on this subject, only from sources United know they cannot intimidate.

Why don't airlines stop ripping people off? Smf to Slc is double on Delta if you buy the direct flight compared to Smf to Sea with a stopover in Slc. This is just smart shopping.

Back