United Flight 232

Just think, some of the mouthbreathing politicians think that Al Haynes is an overpaid bus driver.
confused.gif

The man did an incredible job. Simply incredible. I just watched the videotaped interviews that United gave the crewmembers in a class of mine. That was the best example of effective Crew Resource Management I have ever seen. And whats more! If anyone saw the deformed wreck of the cockpit after the crash, it will just boggle your mind as to how ALL FOUR pilots made it!

Capt. Haynes travels around the country speaking about it. If you ever get the chance, GO! It is a great seminar, and well worth the trip.

I read an article somewhere that the captain woke up in the hospital, saw the accident being replayed on TV and asked what crash that was. I guess he couldnt believe that anyone lived through what he had just seen. Its definitely amazing.

This may be too long to post but it is a transcript of a talk Capt. Hayes gave.

Well it didn't work, sorry. If anyone is interested i have about a five page transcript that is great to read. Send me a PM and i will email it to you.

Here is the whole thing from the Horse's Mouf

This is a link to the transcript from a speach that Captain Haynes gave. Kind of lengthy but very good nonetheless. It clears up what happened after the crash and exactly what was going on in the cockpit.

Al Haynes Speech

The first part is some of the transcript from ATC and the like.

ABC made a TV movie about it. It was pretty good. I think some cable channel got it and changed its name, some thing about hereos. In the movie they said that when UAL put that situation on the sims, none of the pilots even got close to the airport. They sure did a great job that day.
grin.gif

I have also been amazed by what Al Haynes did on United flight 232. I also remember that movie you are referring to, didn't Charelton Heston play Al Haynes?
I'd like to see Al Haynes speak sometime, anyone know where I can find out about his seminars, that is if he still does them anymore.

[ QUOTE ]
Just think, some of the mouthbreathing politicians think that Al Haynes is an overpaid bus driver.
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah..i've also heard of politicians referring to pilots like that. I'd tell those politicians to go get a life I ever saw them in person.

[ QUOTE ]
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And people wonder why I don't like the Airbus line.

smirk.gif

I've gotten the 'pilot hater' mentality figured out already. I had a friend (believe it or not) that was a pilot hater, but after a few drinks, it turns out that he hated his job enormously and was jealous that I could do something immensely cooler than answering memos and drawing boxes and make a good living.

Politicians are no different. They get all of the media attention and make speeches all day, but when they're on a jet, they have no control, arent' the superstars they think they are, but love to rustle up the publics angst (read: jealousy) of our profession for their own political benefit.

Ala John McCain and Trent Lott.

[ QUOTE ]
it turns out that he hated his job enormously and was jealous that I could do something immensely cooler than answering memos and drawing boxes and make a good living.

[/ QUOTE ]
Zactly! I absolutely - unequivically - undeniably - cannot STAND my job right now. So much so, it's to the point where my jaw is sore from being clinched from stress all the time.

I'm grouchy, miserable and intolerable a lot of the times. Praise GOD for a forgiving and understanding wife!!!!

I said that to demonstrate this: If you can't beat `em... join `em.

That's what I'm doing.

I hate my job so, I'm getting out. Moving on. Moving up. This ain't for me (legal field)... that is (aviation).

Maybe a lot of other folks - Politicians included - should try it.

Just MHO.

R2F

[ QUOTE ]
I've gotten the 'pilot hater' mentality figured out already. I had a friend (believe it or not) that was a pilot hater, but after a few drinks, it turns out that he hated his job enormously and was jealous that I could do something immensely cooler than answering memos and drawing boxes and make a good living.

Politicians are no different. They get all of the media attention and make speeches all day, but when they're on a jet, they have no control, arent' the superstars they think they are, but love to rustle up the publics angst (read: jealousy) of our profession for their own political benefit.

Ala John McCain and Trent Lott.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've encountered a few "pilot haters" as well when someone asks me what I want to do when I get older. Suprisingly, in some of my cases the reason why they hated a pilot was not jealousy but because of some negative stereotype they hear about pilots. I just ignore them, and politely tell them that not all pilots are like that. If they insist that they are, then I just tell them to buzz off and get a life (hey, I just graduated high school, so yes I still use that phrase occasionally..LOL)

I agree with you though that jealousy is the main reason why people hate anyone because of their career.

I was unaware that John McCain was one of the "pilots are overpaid bus drivers" speakers. I have to say that I really can't stand this man. He is also trying to ruin the USOC, he doesn't realize that under his new "ways" that the USA pretty much will not be able to host another Olympics. But that's for another discussion board that I visit
smile.gif

Have a good one!
Adam

Back