United DOUBLES fee for second checked bag

They are either going to charge more for tickets or charge for bags.

Either way gets them the money they need to cover the increased gas bill.

A couple people probably find out at the airport that they'll have to buck up even more for their bags but most can probably factor it in to their ticket price comparisons when they're shopping around online to book the flight.

I personally want an all-inclusive price. Got surprised when flying American a couple weeks ago - what a pain in the ass - just charge me an all inclusive price and be done with it.

I personally want an all-inclusive price. Got surprised when flying American a couple weeks ago - what a pain in the ass - just charge me an all inclusive price and be done with it.

I completely agree. It just takes more time and planning to pay these ridiculous "baggage fees" when comparing your airline tickets. Your baggage fees are ultimately a fuel surcharge, and they might as well just add it into the total cost of the ticket and save the hassle. :whatever:

At this rate, it'll be cheaper to overnight your bag via FED EX the night prior to your trip and pick it up at your destination.

I completely agree. It just takes more time and planning to pay these ridiculous "baggage fees" when comparing your airline tickets. Your baggage fees are ultimately a fuel surcharge, and they might as well just add it into the total cost of the ticket and save the hassle. :whatever:

At this rate, it'll be cheaper to overnight your bag via FED EX the night prior to your trip and pick it up at your destination.

I'll take it into consideration next time i fly...

Screw the surcharges here and there. Give me a straight ticket price, all included.

I swear, it seems like you're buying a car!

"Just sign here, and heres the total price....then here, heres the destination fee, and then here, heres the gas guzzler fee, and then here, heres the i'm getting raped fee, and then one more here, heres the pistol with one bullet in the chamber fee in case you decide to take that option...."

Gotta agree with the all-inclusive price. Pretty soon you'll see Southwest come out with another commercial about the fees, and make it ala Vonage vs. the Phone Company this time. ;)

Cue that background music...

These fees WORK, because most people are IDIOTS. They only look at the listed price and don't consider the fees. Sure they complain when they find out about them, but they pay them because they don't have much of a choice. When it comes time to fly again, they again go with the lowest listed price and don't consider the fees.

United is going to pull every desperate trick out of the bag to raise revenue, because they have to do it in order to survive.

I'll take it into consideration next time i fly...

Screw the surcharges here and there. Give me a straight ticket price, all included.

I swear, it seems like you're buying a car!

"Just sign here, and heres the total price....then here, heres the destination fee, and then here, heres the gas guzzler fee, and then here, heres the i'm getting raped fee, and then one more here, heres the pistol with one bullet in the chamber fee in case you decide to take that option...."
:yeahthat:Exactly right. They are tricking the consumer who doesn't think about it until checking in one hour before flight. They suck.

Gotta agree with the all-inclusive price. Pretty soon you'll see Southwest come out with another commercial about the fees, and make it ala Vonage vs. the Phone Company this time. ;)

Cue that background music...

Speaking of Southwest ads...did anyone see their ad in USA Today last week or a few weeks ago, where it compares the prices between themselves and another airline, but when you hold it up to the light, all the hidden fees appear on the page? Pretty nifty, I thought.

The problem is that people then won't see their fare on the first page of the search results.

It's stupid, because the net ends up being the same but that's how people work.

Hell, if it were me, I'd just say, this is what I'm charging you, and you will get two checked bags and free food and drinks on the plane. If you want to pay it, pay it. If you don't, and want to get nickle and dimed by someone else, feel free.

Speaking of Southwest ads...did anyone see their ad in USA Today last week or a few weeks ago, where it compares the prices between themselves and another airline, but when you hold it up to the light, all the hidden fees appear on the page? Pretty nifty, I thought.
Ooh, i'd love to see that!! so are they still printing the ad?

ingenious idea!! i love their new television ads with all the add'l fees...like the lady when she turns around and her twin starts talking about the added fees and says "oh, just gimme your wallet, give me your wallet now". HAHA

I work for United/SkyWest and I agree with you guys 100%, the cost of bags(you would think) should be included in the cost of the ticket.

Ok sooo heres the question of the day: Why should someone pay for a baggage fee thats included in their ticket, when all they have is carry on?

Is it fair that someone pays for a fee that does not apply to them? NO WAY, which is one of the reasons why United probably doesn't do that, and because just after three days of the $15.00 bag fee, United generated a little over 600,000 dollars, can you believe that, just in bag charges alone, IN 3 DAYS! GEEEZ... that was what about a month ago, imagine now??......

So did they do it to make money or break even?

If tix were $15.00 more UA would have made a hellva lot more than $600k and alot would be pure profit from those who only carry on.

I rather not be nickel and dimed. I can fly Ryan Air for that - I expect more from a legacy carrier.

If tix were $15.00 more UA would have made a hellva lot more than $600k and alot would be pure profit from those who only carry on.

If they were to raise their ticket prices $15 they'd be at the end of the list of "sort by price", and as such make a helluva lot less.

Ok sooo heres the question of the day: Why should someone pay for a baggage fee thats included in their ticket, when all they have is carry on?

Is it fair that someone pays for a fee that does not apply to them? NO WAY.

Because it's not truely a baggage fee. It is the same service that the airlines have provided for as long as I can remember and now they're just charging for baggage? It's to make up the difference in rising fuel costs, it should be a standard price...check 2 bags and a carryon. If you only wish to bring your carryon....good for you.

Think about it, before these baggage costs...they never discounted you money for not checking in bags. No, the fee for your bags was included in the ticket and only when you exceeded the weight of the bag would you acquire a fee.

Everyone is paying for the same service and should receive the same benefits of the flight..i.e. getting from point a to point b. If they wanna get technical, I should receive a discount since I'm sitting next to fatty over here that weighs twice as much as I do (not my fault he brought extra baggage) :laff:

I rather not be nickel and dimed. I can fly Ryan Air for that - I expect more from a legacy carrier.

True, United would probably make way more money, but way increase the ticket fare and have 2 bags checked for free, when you can go to JetBlue or American as an example, pay less for a ticket, and check bags either for free, or pay 15.00 more vs paying 30,50,70 dollars more for a United ticket. If United did that, they would sink quick, they like everyone else needs to keep their ticket prices down as low as possible to stay competitive with the other Airlines.

Now, if all the airlines started to included the baggage fee in their ticket with free bags to check, than I'm sure it would remain and be successful, but I highly doubt anyone other than Southwest anytime soon will do that.
Thats awesome for Southwest that they dont charge pax to check bags, im sure their revenue has gone up some because of it, but the other airlines continue to charge for bags because they have destinations and direct routes that southwest do not and will not ever have, and take advantage of it. LAX-JFK UA,AA,DL or LAX-EWR, IAD-DEN, BOS-LAX or LAX-SBA, SBA-SLC, SLC-COS (COLORADO SPRINGS), or even LAX-ASE (ASPEN, CO). The airlines know that sometimes people just dont have to much of a choice, especially if that "particular" airline is the only one thats flying to the remote destination.
To top things off, who do you know that will absolutely have to check bags, a FAMILY.
Is it right to charge for bags no, is it necessary in this time of need, if you want to go to work tomarrow, well than absolutely.
These are my thoughts on it anyway.

Because it's not truely a baggage fee. It is the same service that the airlines have provided for as long as I can remember and now they're just charging for baggage? It's to make up the difference in rising fuel costs, it should be a standard price...check 2 bags and a carryon. If you only wish to bring your carryon....good for you.

Think about it, before these baggage costs...they never discounted you money for not checking in bags. No, the fee for your bags was included in the ticket and only when you exceeded the weight of the bag would you acquire a fee.

Everyone is paying for the same service and should receive the same benefits of the flight..i.e. getting from point a to point b. If they wanna get technical, I should receive a discount since I'm sitting next to fatty over here that weighs twice as much as I do (not my fault he brought extra baggage) :laff:

I agree with you, i'm sure the fee for bags ,if one, was included in the cost of the ticket, but now the airlines are using the cost of fuel as an excuse to charge even more for somthing that im sure they have been charging for anyway to begin with. They will do what it takes to stay in business. I don't think it's right at all, but I would like to go to work later today and still have a job, so I cant complain too much. Besides right or wrong, I want this industry to succeed no matter what it takes.

True, United would probably make way more money, but way increase the ticket fare and have 2 bags checked for free, when you can go to JetBlue or American as an example, pay less for a ticket, and check bags either for free, or pay 15.00 more vs paying 30,50,70 dollars more for a United ticket. If United did that, they would sink quick, they like everyone else needs to keep their ticket prices down as low as possible to stay competitive with the other Airlines.

Now, if all the airlines started to included the baggage fee in their ticket with free bags to check, than I'm sure it would remain and be successful, but I highly doubt anyone other than Southwest anytime soon will do that.
Thats awesome for Southwest that they dont charge pax to check bags, im sure their revenue has gone up some because of it, but the other airlines continue to charge for bags because they have destinations and direct routes that southwest do not and will not ever have, and take advantage of it. LAX-JFK UA,AA,DL or LAX-EWR, IAD-DEN, BOS-LAX or LAX-SBA, SBA-SLC, SLC-COS (COLORADO SPRINGS), or even LAX-ASE (ASPEN, CO). The airlines know that sometimes people just dont have to much of a choice, especially if that "particular" airline is the only one thats flying to the remote destination.
To top things off, who do you know that will absolutely have to check bags, a FAMILY.
Is it right to charge for bags no, is it necessary in this time of need, if you want to go to work tomarrow, well than absolutely.
These are my thoughts on it anyway.

I agree with you, i'm sure the fee for bags ,if one, was included in the cost of the ticket, but now the airlines are using the cost of fuel as an excuse to charge even more for somthing that im sure they have been charging for anyway to begin with. They will do what it takes to stay in business. I don't think it's right at all, but I would like to go to work later today and still have a job, so I cant complain too much. Besides right or wrong, I want this industry to succeed no matter what it takes.

I agree, I'm just busting your :panic::panic:

I don't think it's wrong for the company to try and make money. Passengers have just become accustomed to unrealisticly low ticket prices.

Back