Understanding WX

ladder360

I understand weather just enough to pass my exams, but I also feel that it's just enough to be dangerous.

Anyone have any recommendations on good books or other resources to be able to have a more thorough understanding of weather conditions? There are a lot of long winded textbooks out there, but anyone ever been "wow'd" by anything?

I am taking aviation weather as one of my classes for college. The book we use has the same name coincidentally. It is not going to wow you but it will deffinately be your best bet for understanding WX in great detail.Good luck on maintaining the required information and safe skies!

"Flying the Weather Map"
Richard L. Collins

Analyzes the weather on 46 actual x/c flights he made - more "real world", less theory.

Thanks guys! Checked 'em all out. :rawk:

Picked up Flying the Weather Map first. Looks like a great practical read.

I agree... books didn't teach me much at all about weather. Experience has taught me a lot more.

Nothing can top practical experience! But after reading a short article about mountain flying and fall/winter weather in my area, I realized I need a little more information. I don't want to be the guy who makes a stupid judgment because he just had barely enough info without knowing it.

513METBSMXL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_AA219_PIsitb-sticker-dp-bottom,BottomLeft,25,43_SH20_OU01_.jpg

A very good, readable explanation of weather.

CFI. I've learned way more about weather from this job than from all my classes put together.

Back