UND v.s ERAU

William3

I am currently in HS, and my dream for many years has been to attend ERAU. I have been doing research, and found out good and bad things. One bad thing being COST. I have heard about high costs at embry and low financial aid. I have also heard their flight training has something to be desired. Anyways, some of these things could be rumors and just the opinion of others.

I now have been researching other schools though. My mom brought to my attention UND. She says she knows someone who's kid wanted to go to embry, like me, but couldn't get financial aid and decided to go to UND, as it seemed like a good choice. What differences are there between the two? What training is better, and which school would look better when applying for a job? All help or comments are appreciated.

Hey William,
I am a freshman at UND this year and faced many of the same choices you are facing. As for cost, both ERAU and UND are very expensive. However, you are going to get great training at either school. I chose UND over ERAU for a couple of reasons. I toured both schools and I felt that UND was much more organized. The other main deciding point was that at UND you are guarenteed a scheduled flight at least three times a week (assuming the weather cooperates), and if you wanted to fly more than that it really isnt that tough to get more launches if you wanted to. It is my understanding that at ERAU getting up in the air is a little bit tougher and that you arent guarenteed nearly as much flight time. The other thing that I really like about UND is that you get the university feel as well, it's not just purely an aviation school, as there are about 12,000 kids that go here. About half of which are women! Thats a ratio you will never see at ERAU! I would definetley recomend you come up here and take a tour of the facilities, they are all top notch. If you think that you can put up with the cold weather, then UND is definetely a place that you should look into.

Just wanted to say that UND is a state school and not private, so the cost is going to be considerably cheaper at UND.

Well I can tell you first hand that UND is an excellent school, because I graduated their almost 5 years ago. Und is just as expensive as ERAU. As far as getting a job based on the name of a school, no The airlines don't care where you went to school, or what you have a degree in just as long as you have the ratings, and the experience. I would suggest getting a non-aviation degree, so that way if the airlines did not work out for you, you would have something to fall back on. As far as ERAU goes I started my college career their, and I have to say riddle was not what I thought it would be. I attended the D/B campus and their were a lot of distractions. Flying at riddle was more of a hassle, than it was fun. If you are bent on getting an aviation degree, there are many colleges to choose from that offer aviation degrees a lot cheaper than ERAU, and UND. Before you make your decision explore all of your options. If you have any more questions about Riddle, or UND PM me.

i visited them both and I was shocked at how much better a school UND obviously was. so I signed up, had everything set, two weeks before class I find out my roomate was 36 (im19) and they wouldnt reassign me till next semester, so I dropped out, and decided to get all my ratings at the local part 61 hole in the runway (all for about 20g
grin.gif
) i paid another 20g for local state school , and I could buy a commache 250 and a citabria , mantain them for a year and be on par with ERAU $$$.

That was real smart of you Hootie, I am at UND right now and I don't care for it. The spring semester will be my last semester here and then I am transferring to another school. So did you finsh all your ratings yet?

Wait, so you dropped out because your roommate was too old for you?? Seems like a hasty decision to me
smirk.gif

So you dropped out of school because your roomate was to old? Sound like that was a hasty decision.

lol, what 36 year old lives in the dorms? it was a blessing in disguise. I had a friend who did go there that semester I missed. He was a wild guy and was always whining about how dead it was up there and that the girls were not very attractive. He went up there with his private already done, he never got his instrument(not the schools fault) still to this day. Yes I have all my ratings (except cfi, (next month)) working at it part time once or twice a week . sometimes going full bore (instrument took me two weeks) and sometimes taking two months off without thought of an airplane. So far I have spent 20g including examiner fees, books, headset, tests, etc. and I have flown a variety of airplanes, and I have flown by myself in about 10 different states and I flew myself into leadville colorado this summer which was neat. I still think UND is the best college program by far, but im happy with the way I ended up. If I lived about an hour north I would have qualified for minnesota tuition and I would have gone to UND for sure. I would have just waited my freak roomate out for a semester
grin.gif

Good call Ed!

Last week there all the snow had melted and it was around 60 degrees. Now, we have gotten around a foot of snow in the last 30 hours and we're in the middle of a Winter Storm Warning that is bringing snow as I write. It sucks.

[ QUOTE ]
Und is just as expensive as ERAU.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you clarify this with some numbers? Anyone? I'm just curious because this is the deciding factor between ERAU and UND for me. Thanks.

Wow, I don't think so.

Just look at UND's tuition and compare! Riddle, being a private school, is a hell lot more.

I mean, UND is around 10K for out-of-state tuition, and Riddle is 20K+ (?), I think...

Perhaps, they're referring to flight costs when saying it's as expensive?.....

UND is not as expensive as ERAU. Read, UND is NOT more expensive than ERAU. Just looking at the differences in yearly tuition costs can tell you that. And if you are out of state, one of the first things the Aviation Department tells you is to get in-state as quick as possible. So you would actually only pay for out of state tuition for one year.

20K I wish it was that. I am a freshman at Riddle and I can tell you this place is all about the money. They dont care about [expletive deleted] as long as your payin them. I have spent over 12000 dollars alone on my private so far and still have 3 more flights. That is just the flying expense. Paying for class kicks your ass too I dont know exactly how much but this school should not have a single general education class for the amount we pay. I am looking into other schools right now hoping to get the [expletive deleted] out of Riddle sometime next year.

And at UND if you stay your first summer you can get in state residency and then pay in state tuition for the next 3 years. That will cut your tuition in half. Its nice being in a state which is desperate to appear in the census

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I don't think so.

Just look at UND's tuition and compare! Riddle, being a private school, is a hell lot more.

I mean, UND is around 10K for out-of-state tuition, and Riddle is 20K+ (?), I think...

Perhaps, they're referring to flight costs when saying it's as expensive?.....

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't think UND was as expensive, just wishful thinking on my part.
frown.gif
Would have made my decision for which college to go to much easier.

[ QUOTE ]
Would have made my decision for which college to go to much easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you been accepted at both schools?
smile.gif

Are you a highschool senior? (If you don't mind me asking)
wink.gif

Back