UND or SIU

Tommay85

Just thought id post this in the UND section also.

Im currently trying to decide between these two schools. I want to go to Und because

I. Its away from home
II. very good aviation program
III. newer fleet
IV. less student to intructor ratio

For SIU

I. closer (less expenses for traveling back and forth)
II. 1000 dollars less expensive
III. My truck could actually make it there and back

Now Ive read that there are too many students for the instructors at SIU where as UND has alot less students per instructor which is better because that gives you the oportunity to have more one on one time with instructor.

If you were in my situation, which would you choose. The 1000 dollar difference isnt really a concern of me or my parents.

Thanks in advance

Tom

I did not go UND but I have heard some good things about it.
The most important is their partnership with several airlines.

You say they have partnership with some airlines? That is what I would really like to know about. I am a freshman at Riddle and it is not floating my boat so i'v been trying to talk to my parents about UND. I am born and raised Floridian and had never heard of UND's flight department all we get down here is Riddle this Riddle that. My mom is skeptical about UND bc she thinks no one flys up there because of the weather and doesnt know if UND on my resume in a few years will be as worthy as an ERAU one. I am doing my best to learn everything I can about my options because this is a huge life choice. If you have any facts about the airlines UND is with it would help me tramendously THANKS

[ QUOTE ]
You say they have partnership with some airlines? That is what I would really like to know about. I am a freshman at Riddle and it is not floating my boat so i'v been trying to talk to my parents about UND. I am born and raised Floridian and had never heard of UND's flight department all we get down here is Riddle this Riddle that. My mom is skeptical about UND bc she thinks no one flys up there because of the weather and doesnt know if UND on my resume in a few years will be as worthy as an ERAU one. I am doing my best to learn everything I can about my options because this is a huge life choice. If you have any facts about the airlines UND is with it would help me tramendously THANKS

[/ QUOTE ]

I really have no clue regarding that, really. But I've been noticing something about UND (at least from their site) ....

Once in a while, they'll post a job opening exclusive to UND graduates.

If you see at the job postings site....you'll notice that right now, they have one that says "FOR UND ALUMNI ONLY!!!"

I don't know...I'm thinking this is quite a good thing from UND's part

Check it out:
http://www.aero.und.edu/Student-Services/jobctr.php3

Maybe one of the guys at UND can confirm that for you.
smile.gif

Yes, we do have a lot of good partnerships with airlines and other companies. A lot of our instructors just got hired with Horizon, Piedmont, Mesaba, American Eagle, Pinnacle and AirNet Express.

[ QUOTE ]
<snip>and doesnt know if UND on my resume in a few years will be as worthy as an ERAU one. </snip>

[/ QUOTE ]

UND has a very respected aero program. If at all possible I would suggest taking a tour. I transferred to UND after being at Purdue and was very impressed by the facilities/fleet/instructors here. I too was a little unsure about UND until I visited and talked to people.

[ QUOTE ]
What were some of the things that you were unsure about UND? (just curious)

[/ QUOTE ]

Mainly the weather and the fact that it was North Dakota. Sure enough the wx here sucks and I'm not too fond of ND, but I like the program so much I can put up with the crappy wx. Having been here a year now, I have no regrets and would reccommend UND to anyone.

[ QUOTE ]
and the fact that it was North Dakota

[/ QUOTE ]
lol, the wx issue really didn't bother me when deciding about UND, but as you said, the fact "it's North Dakota", well...was just a bit of a turnoff...
grin.gif

Looking forward to it.
smile.gif

Thanks

EDIT: Wait, what state are you originally from?

[ QUOTE ]

lol, the wx issue really didn't bother me when deciding about UND, but as you said, the fact "it's North Dakota", well...was just a bit of a turnoff...
grin.gif

Looking forward to it.
smile.gif

Thanks

EDIT: Wait, what state are you originally from?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm from Alaska. With that said, I know I really shouldn't bitch about the ND wx. But going to school in Indiana (Purdue) spoiled me as far as winter wx goes.

As far as it being ND, really its not too bad. You can usually find something fun to do. We've got great hockey here if you're into that sort of thing. The Ralph is a great place to watch hockey. Its well worth getting season tickets. It's also fun tailgating for home football games. Other than sports theres always Winnipeg 2 hours north of here. Lots of people drive up there to go clubbin' and get their drink on.
spin2.gif
So even though its ND, theres plenty of stuff to fill your weekends.

Back