Unanswered Questions about Ari Ben

junebuguf

I called up Ari Ben and talked to the phone sales rep and he kind of skirted some questions I had and that made me uncomfortable asking him some others, so hopefully some of you guys know the answers to these:

-- How many students are currently enrolled in Ari Ben's career pilot program?

-- How many instructors are there? (3:1 ratio??)

-- Are their career program graduates 'guaranteed' an opportunity to instruct? Or is this like a 'guaranteed' interview to instruct? Basically, if you go through their program and do reasonably well, are you guaranteed to have a CFI position when you're done?

-- How old is their program/school?

-- As per their policy, if I take out a loan, will they keep the entire balance? Since their payment policy is a third at a time, will they only keep that portion and forward the rest to me? How does that work?

-- Since theyre both part 141 and part 61, is their professional pilot program 141 or 61? Is there any ground school at all (besides instrument I think)?

-- Also do they use sims at all there? I know they advertise themselves as aviators not simulators, but do they at least have a sim on location to use for practice purposes? Do they charge extra for its use? I know ATP has unlimited sim time.

Sorry for the barage of questions. Thanks in advance for any and all info.

Junebuguf, perhaps I can help....

[ QUOTE ]
How many students are currently enrolled in Ari Ben's career pilot program?

[/ QUOTE ] As I mentioned in an earlier post, I do not want to venture a guess. Please rephrase the question as to the relevance of this question, perhaps I can then elaborate.

[ QUOTE ]
How many instructors are there? (3:1 ratio??)

[/ QUOTE ] I can think of 11 or so. Instruction is 1 on 1.

[ QUOTE ]
Are their career program graduates 'guaranteed' an opportunity to instruct? Or is this like a 'guaranteed' interview to instruct? Basically, if you go through their program and do reasonably well, are you guaranteed to have a CFI position when you're done?

[/ QUOTE ] Mike Cohen will tell you when you sign up for the Pro Program that he will give you two students upon the completion of all of your CFI ratings. If you do a good job as an instructor, you stay on and get more. If not, your gone. It's that simple.

[ QUOTE ]
How old is their program/school?

[/ QUOTE ] I think 17 years in the business as a school, but am not certain.

[ QUOTE ]
As per their policy, if I take out a loan, will they keep the entire balance? Since their payment policy is a third at a time, will they only keep that portion and forward the rest to me? How does that work?

[/ QUOTE ] Again I am not certain as I was in a different situation. It is my understanding that the funds are kept in an escrow, therefore, away from the business. Should there be another ATA situation, the money is isolated from the school. Ask for Julian, he can elaborate. As you mentioned, payments are made in thirds. Each flight concludes with a receipt, so you always can keep good track of your account. I had a discrepancy once concerning a flight and its fees. I spoke with TJ (who handles the accounts), and she quickly resolved the situation. Point here...only one person to talk to when you have a question concerning your account, not a barrage like the other schools.

[ QUOTE ]
Since theyre both part 141 and part 61, is their professional pilot program 141 or 61? Is there any ground school at all (besides instrument I think)?

[/ QUOTE ] Instrument is 141, the rest is 61. I average about 3 hrs ground/1 hr flight time with my students. Your instructor will hold your hand throughout your training, but you must ultimately be responsible for your training. What you put in is what you get out.

[ QUOTE ]
Also do they use sims at all there? I know they advertise themselves as aviators not simulators, but do they at least have a sim on location to use for practice purposes? Do they charge extra for its use? I know ATP has unlimited sim time.

[/ QUOTE ] No there are no sims. All the time is flight time. I spent a lot of time in FS 2002 here at home during my instrument rating. Rumor has it that they are considering a sim, but again, I am guessing. Call and ask Julian.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info Luftpost,

As for the number of students question, what I wanted to know precisely is how many students are enrolled in their professional pilot program. Also going by your 2:1 ratio and 11 instructors, I'm assuming that there are 22~30 students total enrolled in ALL programs? So a subset of these, say 10 or so must be career pilot students?

After you graduate are you allowed to stay on for a fixed # of hours of instruction like at Comair, or do you just stay on until you get another job? What I'm trying to figure out is how many students graduate the career program and how many start during any particular cycle. There have to be at least as many (or more) students coming on board than graduating for any new graduate to be able to instruct there. In the absence of such equilibrium, you have a wait list type scenario like at ATP and FSI.

junebuguf

[ QUOTE ]
As for the number of students question, what I wanted to know precisely is how many students are enrolled in their professional pilot program. Also going by your 2:1 ratio and 11 instructors, I'm assuming that there are 22~30 students total enrolled in ALL programs? So a subset of these, say 10 or so must be career pilot students?

[/ QUOTE ] I never said 2:1. There are more students than the figure you give, quite a bit more infact. Yes, most are not in the pro program. There are many that come in for individual ratings/certificates only. Again, ask Julian for the specific counts.

I reviewed my earlier post and would like to clarify what I meant by "one on one." All students meet with their instructor on an individual basis. It is always with the same instructor unless there are unusual circumstances. Only the Instrument, which is 141, is in a classroom environment.

[ QUOTE ]
After you graduate are you allowed to stay on for a fixed # of hours of instruction like at Comair, or do you just stay on until you get another job? What I'm trying to figure out is how many students graduate the career program and how many start during any particular cycle. There have to be at least as many (or more) students coming on board than graduating for any new graduate to be able to instruct there. In the absence of such equilibrium, you have a wait list type scenario like at ATP and FSI.

[/ QUOTE ] I had this same question prior to enrolling. Bottom line, there are many more students not in the pro course going through the school. Those that come in for time-building only must also go up with an instructor for a 5 hr checkout. Others in the pro course, never intend to instruct at the Aviator. They retreat back to their home base.

I have never heard of anyone being kicked out because they had accumulated too many hours. Being a flight instructor the rest of our lives is not our goal. We are all motivated to move on.

I think he wants a firmer number of students enrolled than just a "quite a bit more in fact". 200ish? 500ish? You'd make a good lawyer or marketing rep.
grin.gif
Carry on

Back