Un-freezing locks...

EatSleepFly

Anyone have any techniques for thawing car door locks? Gotta love these single digit temps....
crazy.gif

Oh yeah, and I have no de-icer, no lighter and no power locks. And no way to go get de-icer.

And P.S.- I don't want to hear it from all of you in warm climates!
grin.gif

your at home right? try a wet hot sponge (dishwashing sponge?) and drip the hot (as hot as you can get it) water into the lock.

Kristie would know, she grew up in Wisconsin, ya der you betchya hey!

well, i just figure hot water is "moveable".... you can take it anywhere! haha

cuz figure if you ever stick your tongue on a cold metal pole - hot water is going to save it, even if it does burn it!
grin.gif

edit: not that i would know that on a personal level though.. haha
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
your at home right? try a wet hot sponge (dishwashing sponge?) and drip the hot (as hot as you can get it) water into the lock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tried it on the pax side. It froze....
tongue.gif

Thanks anyways though!
wink.gif

Careful with hot water!
When it's really cold out you can end up with a really frozen lock!

edit: Oops. Too late with the warning.

A lot of extension cords and a blow dryer?

Or just carjack your neighbor, drive down the Checker Auto Parts and pick up some "unfreezer".

On second thoughts, forget I suggested the first part of that...
smile.gif

Can you heat up the key, say on the stove, and carefully (don't burn yourself!) try to work the lock loose?

Yeah, its 10 deg. F here..and the wind chill is -2. My trip de jour got cancelled anyways due to some other circumstance, so now I have nowhere to be. Good thing it did get cancelled though, or I'd probably have one pissed off boss when I couldn't make it to the airport on time!
blush.gif

Ah well...time to park it on the couch in front of PS2 and wait until it warms up!
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Can you heat up the key, say on the stove, and carefully (don't burn yourself!) try to work the lock loose?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tried that too. It must be really frozen. I even found a ligher a few min. ago and heated the key and lock with that. No luck except almost starting my truck on fire from all the crap I sprayed into the lock, lol.

Got a hair dryer? An extension cord and a lot of time might do the trick.

If I remember correctly I think Walmart/Kmart seels a spray that is supposed to unfreeze (or maybe prevent freezing) locks. Looks like a spray paint can.

[ QUOTE ]
If you can get an extension cord and a hair dryer...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah...I'd need about 500 ft. of extension cord and I don't even own a hair dryer (I don't have enough hair). I'll have to wait until one of my friends decides to answer his phone so I can make him get me some de-icer.

[ QUOTE ]
If you can get an extension cord and a hair dryer...

[/ QUOTE ]

True... But what if he's bald? Do bald guys have hair dryers?

Can you find a girlfriend WITH a hairdryer? Or is she locked in the car?
smile.gif

Try holding up a CD of Celine Dion up to the door locks. I think "Ice Queen" has super twins power in the form of a ice something-or-rather.

Stick your tongue on the lock.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

(The paramedics will have some Isopropyl Alcohol. After they remove your tongue from the lock, you can probably borrow some)
grin.gif

Back