Um.... this isn't anybody here. Is it?

OK...I was intriqued after I stopped laughing. The article had a link, which I followed that had more links, which I followed...only to arrive here:

http://www.tronguy.net/TRONcostume/

this is an explaination of how he made the suit...lots of good pictures of the development of the Tron suit.

More laughing.

I am actually inspired - I used to think you needed to be really fit and tone to wear a super-hero type suit. This guy has given me inspiration. When I go down the street to do my Multi at CPS, I may very well arrive in some kind of costume.

Wow. . .what a geek.

I have to say though, that this is just simply sad.

Attention starved overweight geek. . .now he gets to fly a matching plane around.

Actually...on further review...after more laughter...the guy is ok. He ended up on Jimmy Kimmel, he seems reasonably intelligent, and his notoriety as Tron Guy probably helps his computer business.

I think Doug should send him a special invite to the Vegas deal. Take a collection and pay for the room, with the cavaet that he must wear his Tron suit for all gatherings.

He is not anywhere near as bad as this guy www.mdculpepper.org

Thanks mdculpepper, so much for wanting to go to Fedex.

You should have seen the page before he revamped it...the version you saw is actually quite toned down from the original version. Still don't get the homo-erotic image when you click "The End". I would still take a job with FedEx, even with MD Culpepper. It does take a lot to make Tron Guy seem normal though...

I was shopping for tights, obviously.

Good man!

The surpirsing thing about this guy is that he appears to be straight...has a girlfriend and everything.

On a more serious note - let's say an airline pilot (such as MD Culpepper) had a website that was risque...like Peter Pan's, or was just weird, like Tron Guy...would that be grounds for the airline to call you in for some kind of psychological testing? What recourse does an airline have in matters like this?

Y'know, the awesome thing is that he probably bought that plane with the money he got from wearing that outfit.
I wish. I haven't made much money at all from being the Tron Guy.

Wonder if he ends his radio calls with "end of line."
I hadn't thought of that...and I probably won't do it unless someone asks me if it's the Tron Guy.

Now that is funny. I wonder what type of batteries it takes? Maybe I can get a pair of shoes like that.
Each armor piece except the helmet takes 2 AAs; the helmet takes a single 9-volt. The shoes are plain old white K-Mart boat shoes painted the same color as everything else.

The surpirsing thing about [Peter Pan] is that he appears to be straight...has a girlfriend and everything.
He's supposedly a babe magnet...

"I wanted [the plane] to be tasteful and not too out there," he said.
04-21_TronCostumeByJayMaynard.jpg

I wish. I haven't made much money at all from being the Tron Guy.

If this is in fact you, I like on your website under Computer consulting you state "I'm a serious computer Geek".

Really, I find that hard to believe. :D

Anyway, welcome to JC.

If this is in fact you, I like on your website under Computer consulting you state "I'm a serious computer Geek".
Serious enough to keep a keen eye on his referrer logs, I bet. ;)

Nice panel in that Zenith. Any reason you went with a standard six-pack of primary flight instruments, as opposed to an experimental EFIS? I see you have a Dynon D10 mounted, presumably for backup.

It is probably an EMS-D10 which is engine monitoring only. You will notice that there are no engine instruments in the panel. It is a very well equipped panel though with the redundant GPS's with the 496 presumably handling weather as well as the VOR with glide slope reciever. If he lost that DG and replaced it with an HSI he would be in business.

Serious enough to keep a keen eye on his referrer logs, I bet. ;)
Actually, I don't; I have access to them, but usually don't bother.

Nice panel in that Zenith. Any reason you went with a standard six-pack of primary flight instruments, as opposed to an experimental EFIS?
That aircraft is fully IFR certified. That requires TSOd flight instruments, and the EFIS (AMD offers the Dynon D120) would not be. The six pack is all electric, though (no vacuum pump to fail), and there's a second, backup battery that's dedicated to powering them in case of an electrical failure.

It is probably an EMS-D10 which is engine monitoring only. You will notice that there are no engine instruments in the panel.
Exactly. The EMS is quite nice, and presents all of the information I need on one screen. It could stand to be larger, but the big version wouldn't fit anywhere.

It is a very well equipped panel though with the redundant GPS's with the 496 presumably handling weather as well as the VOR with glide slope reciever. If he lost that DG and replaced it with an HSI he would be in business.
I thought about the HSI until I saw the $15K price tag. I decided I couldn't justify going that hog wild. If I get lots more money that's looking for a home, I'll get an HSI and replace the SL40 with an SL30 to use the existing CDI.

I use the 430 for navigation and driving the autopilot, and the 496 on a wider range setting for weather display and situational awareness. It's also nice to get set up for cruise, lean back in the comfortable reclined seat, and dial up good classic rock on the XM radio.

One other note:

JAMES ROBERT MAYNARD
DOI: 4/15/2005
Certificate: PRIVATE PILOT
Rating(s):
PRIVATE PILOT
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND

That's from when I had the plastic certificate issued. I originally got the ticket in 1988. In fact, next Thursday is the 20th anniversary of my first solo.

That beats out the worst thing I saw: a guy I checked out in an Archer a few years ago showed up the next day in a Top Gun outfit complete with the big-ass mirror shades and patches to go fly his buddy around Pensacola.

Probably a Navy student pilot.

Back