Ultralight Questions

CK

Right now I'm looking at buying an ultralight. I have a couple questions to any one that has or does fly one. How safe are they? What are the operating cost? What is required to log time in them? What do they cost to purchase? Insurence prices? Does the parachute system in some help at all?
I was thinking of buying a used one and my dad would only let me get the safest one, do to the fact that he's pulled 2 of them out of trees. So what one would be the best and cheapest type to buy and what do they cost?

[ QUOTE ]
why dont you save your money and put it towards your career training?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you can log PIC time so isn't this considered towards training? Plus all my mulit flying is free as of now so I don't have much to spend it on.......

Alex. I don't know whole lot about ultralights but this is what I understand. You can't log the time towards any sort of FAA certificate or as traditional flying time...it's not recognized time as far as a piloting career goes.

There is a new Sport Pilot catagory coming out soon that will include some of the larger ultralights. When that happens, and if your ultralight is one of the approved ones, you will be able to log the time and even get a Sport Pilot license at 20 hours. With a Sport Pilot license you will be able to take a person with you but will still need to be 16 to solo and 17 to get the license....that's probably what you won't like about it.

Be sure to have your dad do some research on this before you guys buy one so that you'll be able to log the time when you turn 16. www.sportpilot.org

Self certification of your medical condition and holding a drivers license will allow you to fly as a Sport Pilot...no FAA medical needed.

[ QUOTE ]
Be sure to have your dad do some research on this before you guys buy one so that you'll be able to log the time when you turn 16.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does he have to wait untilhe's 16 to log the flight time?

As a Sport Pilot...he could log training time younger than 16...but not solo time. You'd have to be 16 to solo.

Under the current ultralight rules. You don't need a FAA pilots license, however, the flight time is useless towards an aviation career or towards an FAA certificate.

Don,

As long as the ultra light is ok under part 103, I think that's what it is, you can log time in it, from what I understand any way.......

[ QUOTE ]
As a Sport Pilot...he could log training time younger than 16...but not solo time. You'd have to be 16 to solo.

Under the current ultralight rules. You don't need a FAA pilots license, however, the flight time is useless towards an aviation career or towards an FAA certificate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I'm back with you now...I thought you were just speaking about flight time in general....

Alex. You can log whatever you want. I'm saying part 103 ultralight time doesn't count towards any FAA certificates or ratings. Nor is it accepted in the industry as loggable time. If you can prove me wrong via FAA regs, then feel free to cite an FAR and I'll happily consider myself re-educated.

Are you trying to tell me that you can do 40 hours in an ultralight and then go take your private checkride?

Well mind as well forget the whole thing. After telling me it's ok to get one they decided it is better for me not to. Oh well........

And all in less than 24 hours...

Aren't parents cruel? (Being one I can say that. Really.)

My wife's favorite saying is "I'm the meanest mom in the world".
wink.gif

Back