Ultra High Bypass Engines

I'm just wondering if that reporter got stuck making that clip in the middle of a mustache March challenge.

I have to think that if the price of fuel continues to climb at this rate for an extended time, props are gonna make a huge comeback. You can call that new UDF technology whatever you want, most people will call them "Props".

Ya, I've seen that before. Flew one this morning. It's called a turbo prop. The piagio even puts them on backwards just like that.

Can anyone tell me why turboprops aren't set up as ducted-fans? Seems safer, but I don't know anything about the engineering involved.

Can anyone tell me why turboprops aren't set up as ducted-fans? Seems safer, but I don't know anything about the engineering involved.
Think about all the extra weight that would involve. The increase in safety would be extremely minor compared to the reduced useful load and increased fuel consumption.

Think about all the extra weight that would involve. The increase in safety would be extremely minor compared to the reduced useful load and increased fuel consumption.

I understand the added weight of the ducts.

Wouldn't the ducting reduce turbulence coming off the blades? Would there be any efficiency gained there?

I honestly don't know. I started thinking about it when I saw some of the ducted tailrotors on helos and wondered about the larger application on fixed wing aircraft.

I may have missed the point...but what advantages over the traditional jet engine are there?

Back