Ulcer

IrishSheepdog

Sitting in the median
Can you fly with an ulcer? Does it prohibit a first, second, or even third class medical? Anyone know?

No I don't have one, but I had a stomach ache for like three days (it was cuz of a flu shot) and I was like "OH CRAP." Just curious.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Can you fly with an ulcer?

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose it depends on** IF** you tell your DME?

the most common perscripton for an Ulcer is Tagament, which is not available over the counter. the Chances are it is not a restrictive medication.

Found this for ya':
The FAA allows certification for many common gastrointestinal diagnoses that can be documented as stable and well controlled. Included among this group of disorders are <font color="red">gastric ulcer disease</font color> , gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), esophagitis, hepatitis, and the inflammatory bowel diseases that include colitis, regional enteritis, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and Crohn's disease.

According to the Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners, page 51, persons with a history of an active ulcer within the preceding 3 months or a bleeding ulcer within the last 6 months may be considered for certification with appropriate documentation. Evidence of healing must be verified by a report from the treating physician that includes:

1. Confirmation that the applicant is symptom-free.
2. Radiographic or endoscopic evidence that the ulcer is healed.
3. Type, dosage, and frequency of medication used. The use of any medications other than simple antacids and/or sucralfate medications, such as Carafate, for immediate and maintenance therapy of the ulcer may be disqualifying.
A history of bleeding ulcers usually requires interim status reports at six to 12 month intervals following initial recertification.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
the most common perscripton for an Ulcer is Tagament

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually Tagamet is for the treatment of acid reflux, usually caused by GERD. There are other specific meds that actually treat the ulcer. Tagamet, Zantac, Pepcid, Nexium, etc. all fall into this category. You might be put on these meds to control some of the symptoms of the ulcer, but they don't treat the ulcer. The above drugs, and several drugs that treat the actual ulcer are on the FAA's "approved list".

Back