"Ugly" near miss at JFK

There was just a story a couple of days ago on CNN.com or something about controllers' concerns regarding go arounds.

Kudos to the controller, due to his quick thinking and the pilot following his every instruction, he avoided what could of been a very "ugly" accident.

This seems to be a bad one... Pat Forrey, President of NATCA, was on FOX News...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwNXNIF8z_A

Well done piece.

The NTSB is involved now as well calling it a near mid air.

NTSB ADVISORY

National Transportation Safety Board
Washington, DC 20594

July 8, 2008

NTSB INVESTIGATING NEAR MIDAIR COLLISION IN NEW YORK

The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating a near midair collision in New York City in which two
airliners came in close proximity to one another.

On July 5, 2008, 8:36 pm eastern daylight time, Cayman
Airways flight 792, a Boeing 737-300, and a Linea Aerea
Nacional de Chile flight 533, Boeing 767-300, almost
collided at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), according to initial reports.

The Cayman Airways flight, on approach to runway 22L, was executing a missed approach and conflicted with the Linea Aeroea Navional de Chile flight that was departing runway 13R. Tower controllers intervened to attempt to resolve the conflict, assigning both aircraft diverging headings. The closest proximity of the two aircraft has not yet been determined. At the time of the incident, the weather was VFR with 6 miles visibility and haze.

There were no reported injuries or damage to the aircraft.
A preliminary report of the incident will be available on
the Board's web later this week.

Man, that's kind of scary to listen to. The average Joe-Six Pack probably wouldn't catch it but eww!

I noticed the controller didnt return to the radio. It sounds like someone else took his place. Must have spooked the ***t out of him. How close were they to each other?

I noticed the controller didnt return to the radio. It sounds like someone else took his place. Must have spooked the ***t out of him. How close were they to each other?

Anytime there is even a thought that an error or incident has occurred everyone working an operational position involved is relived from that position and an investigation is begun. All controllers are allowed to speak to a union rep and that rep is involved in the investigation in the capacity that all members rights are protected.

All parties involved fill out paperwork and statements, voice and radar tapes are pulled, and all related paperwork is saved. The process is very involved.

Parties involved also have the option of filing a CA-1 form, genrally head home for the day via Admin, and if needed can take further time off via workers compensation.

How close ? Word is 100 feet... controllers at the tracon (N90) claim the targets merged on the scope at the same altitude...

That would have been very ugly, and I'm glad it didn't turn out that way. AA597 is still fresh in the minds of the folks in Queens, not to mention 9/11.

Anytime there is even a thought that an error or incident has occurred everyone working an operational position involved is relived from that position and an investigation is begun. All controllers are allowed to speak to a union rep and that rep is involved in the investigation in the capacity that all members rights are protected.

All parties involved fill out paperwork and statements, voice and radar tapes are pulled, and all related paperwork is saved. The process is very involved.

Parties involved also have the option of filing a CA-1 form, genrally head home for the day via Admin, and if needed can take further time off via workers compensation.

How close ? Word is 100 feet... controllers at the tracon (N90) claim the targets merged on the scope at the same altitude...

I didnt know that. Learn something new everyday. Thanks for that info.
Whoa! 100 feet? Now that was a close call.

Kudos to the controller, due to his quick thinking and the pilot following his every instruction, he avoided what could of been a very "ugly" accident.

I'm not sure I agree, the controller was hesitant, told the Cayman jet to turn right and then left. In saying this I am NOT criticizing the controller; he had to handle a scary scenario that was developing very rapidly, and fortunately an accident didn't happen. The problem is that procedures at JFK allowed a near miss to happen in the first place.

I also wasn't sure from the tape if two different controllers were handling the converging runways at the time. (If I remember correctly, during busy times one controller will handle, eg., 22L and 13L, and the other will handle 22R and 13R.) I don't know if it was a factor here, but this seems to make the potential for a crash under these circumstances even greater.

That would have been very ugly, and I'm glad it didn't turn out that way. AA597 is still fresh in the minds of the folks in Queens, not to mention 9/11.

Its still fresh in my mind! There is a memorial over there in Belle Harbour now with something pointing towards DR, which is where majority of the passengers were from and also where the plane was heading.:(

Back