UAVs and Job Security

[ QUOTE ]
Well, they're saying that the JSF will be ready by what, 2010? And then it will have a life of about 40 years?

So that means we've got about 50 years to figure it out. By then, I'll be happy if I'm not drooling my old folks food out of my mouth.

grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

and if by March 29, 2050 they don't have unmanned commercial aircraft I will be out of a job anyways since that will be my 60th birthday.

[ QUOTE ]
and if by March 29, 2050 they don't have unmanned commercial aircraft I will be out of a job anyways since that will be my 60th birthday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn SUSpilot, your a 14 year old Mortgage banker, that pretty young
grin.gif

Man, I'll be 71 in 2050, I guess I won't be flying either, thats pretty weird to think about.

I would not want to be the UAV operator on the ground of a passenger operated plane that has a malfunction/failure, crashes and involves loss of life. The psychological and legal damage would be enough to put anyone over the edge. Sure there are other variables involved but if you had responsibility for the safety of that flight you have to live with that the rest of your life. I'd sooner go down with the ship knowing I did all that I could. Could you image then having to go through an NTSB investigation, face family members, lawyers etc. That would be a job I’d pass on. I think it will be a long time before we are remotely controlling the fate of hundreds above us.

[ QUOTE ]
Geez, 2050 I'll be 80 years old!

[/ QUOTE ] guess that means i'll be 82 then... L-O-V-E-L-Y...

Hopefully, I'll still be up and going strong! but to think that I'll be here to see Apache Junction hit 275,000 residents is, right now, beyond me (they have 34,000 right now)... but that's what's being forecasted for transportation... btw - for you phx folks, the new RTP (regional transportation plan) just came out and will need to be voted on at the November election - to check it out, go HERE - KEEP IN MIND THAT YOU WILL BE VOTING ON THIS and from my position as a transportation planner, it's an adequate plan and is VERY MUCH needed!!!!! Although I have the feeling the area is going to build out even faster than what they're saying, they're going to need that money sooner if we don't want complete gridlock....

- now, back to the subject at hand -

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Geez, 2050 I'll be 80 years old!

[/ QUOTE ] guess that means i'll be 82 then... L-O-V-E-L-Y...

Hopefully, I'll still be up and going strong! but to think that I'll be here to see Apache Junction hit 275,000 residents is, right now, beyond me (they have 34,000 right now)... but that's what's being forecasted for transportation... btw - for you phx folks, the new RTP (regional transportation plan) just came out and will need to be voted on at the November election - to check it out, go HERE - KEEP IN MIND THAT YOU WILL BE VOTING ON THIS and from my position as a transportation planner, it's an adequate plan and is VERY MUCH needed!!!!! Although I have the feeling the area is going to build out even faster than what they're saying, they're going to need that money sooner if we don't want complete gridlock....

- now, back to the subject at hand -

[/ QUOTE ]

Traffic is out of control as-in in the PHX metro area.

Woops meant I'll be 70 and done flying for a living for 10 years, its amazing little mistakes you can make trying to post while doing work at the same time.

What about Artificial Intelligence? Can't AI 'think' and learn like humans, including resolving emergencies not in the book?
You know, if technology has infinite potential, theoretically there will one day be no jobs left, including doctors and lawyers. Pretty scary. Just think of the hospital executives "but those robot interns don't complain about fatigue and 100 hour workweeks!'
Het Doug, before the offline Jumpseat was taken away, did you ever jumpseat on the A320? Is it much different than the MD-88s?

Until AI reaches the level of LCdr Data from Star Trek, nobody will get on an airplane flown by a robot/android/AI construct.

FL270

[ QUOTE ]
Het Doug, before the offline Jumpseat was taken away, did you ever jumpseat on the A320? Is it much different than the MD-88s?

[/ QUOTE ]

I jumpsat everything except a 747.

The A320 was very nice. Almost more on par with a 757, but the jumpseats were a lot better.

Back