Typical day as an Assistant Flight Dispatcher.

luicwalker90

Hello, I am new to this website. I have a one simple question. I want to know what a typical day is like as an ASSISTANT Fight Dispatcher. Thank you in advance.

It would vary greatly based on the airline you were working as an assistant for. You will have to be more specific.

When making the move to a major, can you pretty much count on being hired as an "assistant" dispatcher vs. dispatcher?

I'd imagine so unless you are bringing a vast amount of knowledge/experience with you to that airline. Which you and I have a ways to go before that time comes :biggrin:

do regional airlines look at your college transcript before they hire? Also, after graduation, I am planning on attending iFOD to get my dispatcher's license. I was browsing through iFOD's website couple weeks ago and I came across this statement made by them. " IFOD's placement assistance program for Domestic Students stands at 100% to date. Majority of our Dispatcher students are offered jobs during their training" - iFOD's website. How accurate is this?

do regional airlines look at your college transcript before they hire? Also, after graduation, I am planning on attending iFOD to get my dispatcher's license. I was browsing through iFOD's website couple weeks ago and I came across this statement made by them. " IFOD's placement assistance program for Domestic Students stands at 100% to date. Majority of our Dispatcher students are offered jobs during their training" - iFOD's website. How accurate is this?

None of the regionals I worked at (3 different ones) ever requested a copy of my college transcript, although this isn't a guarantee or anything. As for the 100% placement rate...I did not got IFOD, but I would be weary of such a claim. Certainly when I went to school, the majority of students did NOT get offered jobs during class. Just remember the old adage: if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

I can answer your question about IFOD and I highly recommend IFOD. Their claim is somewhat accurate in that most of the students are international students who already have jobs and only 3-6 students on average are looking for jobs during the class. I attended IFOD back in July and received my license and had an interview while attending school, and several shortly after finishing my oral and practical exam. I was actually offered a job, but turned it down to take a job with a major airline who only tends to hire dispatchers from within. Good luck and do all the research you can on finding the right school for you.

When making the move to a major, can you pretty much count on being hired as an "assistant" dispatcher vs. dispatcher?

I was a dispatcher at my first airline a little over a year before getting picked up at a major as a regular dispatcher, not assistant which my current airline does have. You never know what the airlines are looking for each class they hire and who the hiring managers are each time they do hire.

I believe that's valid up until about June, since that website is rarely updated (the copyright ends in 2009). I'm at iFOD now and have an interview tomorrow, while waiting on replies for about a dozen other airlines. I can see it since about half our current students are international, and out of 15 I'm one of only 5 w/out a current job...

Back