Typed in, but have not flown it 4 years. What now?

Oxman

So, I'm typed in the KA350 but haven't flown it in 4 years. Needless to say I forgot all. So, If someone gets hired with a type, but needs to get proficient and current how does that work? Does Flight Safety or CAE offer that in between class to be brought back to proficient?

Last edited:
Wouldn’t that be their standard two day class? The one you do on your six, eighteen, thirty . . . . Month recurrent training? It would include an instrument proficiency ride, so that should make you legal.

So, I'm typed in the KA350 but haven't flown in in 4 years. Needless to say I forgot all. So, If someone gets hired with a type, but needs to get proficient and current how does that work? Does Flight Safety or CAE offer that in between class to be brought back to proficient?
This is highly a function of the rules under which the airplane is operated combined with whatever the insurer finds acceptable.

Notice that "safety" doesn't enter there, at all.

This is highly a function of the rules under which the airplane is operated combined with whatever the insurer finds acceptable.

No, it’s not any of that.

If you are 135/91k your training program will have the requalification table in it, otherwise the 142 training center or authorized examiner will have the re-qual requirements as laid out in the 8900. @ going from memory, 5 years from the last event (not expiration of last annual training event) will require what amounts to an initial basically.

The re-qual tables are practically identical - I.e the 142 table is the same as the 121 table in the 8900. If you are looking to go to a school house, just call them and give them your last training date, they’ll let you know what course you need to enroll in.

1e40dc90558bd89e6c9a577b67a77a0c.jpg

(I know that’s the 121 chart- happens to be the first one and I’m
Not really wanting to dig through FAA stuf on sat night. )

If you are hired at a 135 operator, it doesn’t matter as you’ll do their course, which includes Indoc and a pic Check. If you need additional elements, they will take care of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are 135/91k your training program will have the requalification table in it, otherwise the 142 training center or authorized examiner will have the re-qual requirements as laid out in the 8900. @ going from memory, 5 years from the last event (not expiration of last annual training event) will require what amounts to an initial basically.

The re-qual tables are practically identical - I.e the 142 table is the same as the 121 table in the 8900. If you are looking to go to a school house, just call them and give them your last training date, they’ll let you know what course you need to enroll in.

If you are hired at a 135 operator, it doesn’t matter as you’ll do their course, which includes Indoc and a pic Check. If you need additional elements, they will take care of that.

Isn't that literally what he said...it depends on the Part the operation operates under? Also, insurance WILL have input on what is required. So, I'd say he was correct, not "it's not any of that".

Did I miss something??

Isn't that literally what he said...it depends on the Part the operation operates under? Also, insurance WILL have input on what is required. So, I'd say he was correct, not "it's not any of that".

Did I miss something??

135 TP’s and 142 TP’s use the same timelines established with respect to safety from 8900. While non regulatory, I’ve never seen less hours. With regards to the OP the answer provided nearly nothing of value, and did not seem to be based from experience beyond the glib “ highly dependent” part - which it’s not, because you literally get the same requirements under each part.

Had he referenced either the 135/142 qualification table- then maybe it would be different.

Anyways, to the OP - if your last recurrent was more than 5 years ago, it’s likely that you’ll have to do a full initial, the check at the end would be your 135.293/.297 or 61.58/57 without having to do a type ride, and would follow the elements for such respectively.

I doubt insurance will have any objections as long as you meet the program requirements.

135 TP’s and 142 TP’s use the same timelines established with respect to safety from 8900. While non regulatory, I’ve never seen less hours. With regards to the OP the answer provided nearly nothing of value, and did not seem to be based from experience beyond the glib “ highly dependent” part - which it’s not, because you literally get the same requirements under each part.

Had he referenced either the 135/142 qualification table- then maybe it would be different.

Anyways, to the OP - if your last recurrent was more than 5 years ago, it’s likely that you’ll have to do a full initial, the check at the end would be your 135.293/.297 or 61.58/57 without having to do a type ride, and would follow the elements for such respectively.

I doubt insurance will have any objections as long as you meet the program requirements.

That's what I was looking for. Thank you.

"Safety??" Never heard of her.

Are all the boxes checked?

If you have any doubts, just go do three night landings. ;)

Wait... What?!

Our boy says, "it depends on operational rules", and you reply: "No, it doesn't. But here's a rules part chart for you to ponder. And, oh, btw, other parts might have different rules."

Huh?

Even beer shouldn't leave one that foopjazzled.

Last edited:
Back