Type Ratings and Insurance for PPLs?

DrBenny

I was wondering how much time a PP would need before he could get insured in a Cessna Caravan. (Yeah, right--I wish I had the money to get one!) Obviously, a type rating would be required before the FAA gave their nod, but how long would it be before one could fly without a CFI.

And while I'm on it--can one get a type rating from a CFI at a regular ol' FBO (assuming he has the rating and quals to give the training)? Or does one have to go to FSI or something?

I may (just may) have the chance to fly a Caravan in the next couple of years. It is a long shot, but it would be a bunch of fun!

You don't need a type rating for a Caravan.

Insurance will be royally expensive however, unless you have a fair amount of total time, turbine time, and have gone through a standardized school for the Caravan (i.e. FlightSafety)...and even then it won't be cheap.

Actually caravans would not be that steep to insure. That is why they are selling them with executive interiors. It is easier for the person who has their own business to get insured on something like a caravan than some of the cabin class pressurized twins. They are really nothing more than a stretched 206 with a turbine engine. No complicated emergency procedures, can't land with the gear up, etc.

Caravan? Executive? Never. Let's ride that bird like she was made for, bring her flying in remote locations.. grass strip on a tropical island.. ahh
wink.gif
Plus you can pack enough stuff for a year.

[ QUOTE ]
You don't need a type rating for a Caravan.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was under the impression that one needs a type rating for anything with a turbine engine, regardless of weight. Is this not so?

[ QUOTE ]
Caravan? Executive? Never. Let's ride that bird like she was made for, bring her flying in remote locations.. grass strip on a tropical island.. ahh
wink.gif
Plus you can pack enough stuff for a year.

[/ QUOTE ]
If indeed I do get to fly this bird, it would be more for that purpose. Ahh, but the interior will be the executive version! SO MUCH ROOM!

Type ratings are only required for turbojet engines, aircraft over 12,500, and whatever else the FAA deems necessary to have a type for.

I think you need a type rating for a Piper Malibu Mirage, is this true? I could be making this up.

No, but the insurance company might require type-specific training. That might be what you're thinking...

Back