type rating question

hammer

I'm pretty sure the answer to this is "no" but can someone verify it for me and give me the source ...

Jet aircraft that weighs more than 12,500 pounds and is certified for two pilot operation and is being used for commercial carriage ... does the F/O who is logging SIC time require a type rating?

Thanks.

Absolutely not. Look in the FAR's! Some corporate companies like for you to be type rated, but it is certainly not required for an F/O.

Hammer
Good question, of which there is a few different but correct answers.
First by regulation FAR 61.55, the sic does not need to be typed. Most pilots get their first operating experience sitting in the right seat without the type. I started out this way but was fortuante enough to attend Flight Safety SIC course for the jet I was copilot on. I use copilots without the type and even allow them to fly left seat, nothing in the regs about which seat you occupy. I would venture to guess that Doug isn't typed yet as most airline FO's are not, unless they are international FO's. The regs are pretty simple and liberal here, but where it gets sticky is when you factor in the insurance companies.
We recently changed insurance companies and the new company wanted us to type our FO's at the tune of about 27K each. We even argued that taking them to SIC training was cost prohibitive and finally got them to "bless" our FO's individually. It sucks because most of my FO's have more total time than me, and most of them have big airplane time as they are furloughed airline types.
You can still find operators who will give you a break and hire you to fly right seat, if they want you bad enough they will go to bat with the insurance company. This would apply to any operator of an aiplane requireing a type, not just jets.
Good luck

Jim

Thanks for your response, Jim. If you don't mind entertaining one more question ... re: insurance. What type of range do you see in the premiums for a lower time F/O to a high time F/O?

That's a question of which there is no answer ... its what ever the insurance company can get. I think it comes down to the bargaining power of the chief pilot / risk manager, factoring in the complexity or I should say the perceived complexity of the aircraft and the operational profile of the company. Obviously a less experienced pilot should expect to be charged a higher premium, but strange things happen in the insurance industry. I think alot of chief pilots use the insurance issue to weed out low time applicants, this just means that he/she is unwilling to negotiate with the insuarance carrier. When your low on experience sell yourself on attitude and ability / potential.
Good Luck

Jim

Back