Two F-16s collide off S.C.

N826AW

Off-Duty Cop
Pilot sought after 2 F-16s collide off S.C. coast

CHARLESTON, S.C. – The Air Force says crews are searching for an F-16 fighter pilot off the coast of South Carolina after two jets collided Thursday night.
Senior Master Sgt. Brad Fallin at Shaw Air Force Base says the two planes collided around 8:30 p.m. Thursday about 40 miles off Folly Beach, near Charleston, during night training exercises. Each plane was carrying one person.
Fallin says one jet landed safely at Charleston Air Force Base, but the location of the other plane and pilot is unknown.

Fallin says the Coast Guard is currently searching the with two helicopters and two service vessels.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091016/ap_on_re_us/us_f16_collision_1

Sorry to hear that germb.

Three phone calls I never have forgotten about.

One being a young man struck by lightening at a deployed location, following the late issuance of one of my forecaster's lightening watches and the lack of a warning issuance by the base weather individuals (who were ultimately responsible - but it still sucked pretty bad). No death though.

And the other two, well, unfortunate outcome for two separate helicopter operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Sadly mission requirements sometimes put our aviation resources into a very bad position with a very little chance of successfully making it home. Gotta get it done though, but there is a cost.

And the other two, well, unfortunate outcome for two separate helicopter operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Everyone I worked with was convinced we would lose an aircraft in the sandbox one way or another. thank god it didn't happen. One of the -53's ran over a crew chief in the fuel pits kiling him though. That was kinda hard to fathom as it is a "safe zone" and easily could have been any one of us.
I was actually able to get through 5 years without personally knowing anyone who died in military aviation thanfully.

Hope they find the pilot and he's ok. Any update?

I was flying past charleston the other day and heard a coast guard chopper asking for advisorys while doing S and R. Lets hope they find em.

Back