Twin time for flight training.

TripleSticks

I've noticed a couple places boasting lots of twin engine time for their flight training. ATP and Ari-Ben come to mind right off the top of my head. Are there any other schools that give you the majority of your time in twin engine aircraft? Is this an advantage over the typical school that trains mostly in single engine aircraft?

Thanks,
John

Flightsafety and Pan Am use the twins for part of their training programs, but you'll still do a lot of single-engine work. There are some small operators that advertise in the magazines.

I went to ATP, and feel I gained several advantages:

1. 135 hours of multi time in my logbook. Now that I'm finished and back in FBO-land, that time is sacred. It will really help me once my total time is higher.

2. Workload. I learned to fly instruments in a twin, and now flying an approach in a fixed-gear single seems so simple with much less to do.

3. You can really go places on cross-countries. Instead of buzzing along at 100kt, most light twins will do 160 or better, opening up more possibilities. This gives you exposure to different weather, geography, and air traffic.

Go to any FBO with a readily available MEI and structure your own Part 61 twin program. You can get just as many ME hours as with the big schools, but likely for much less money and without having to move. There's nothing extraordinary about these programs. You can do the same most anywhere.

But isn't one of the benifits of training in a place that would normally use twins that, if you are hired as an instructor, you would instruct in mostly twins. If that's the case then most of your hours would be twin engine hours and that could be a serious benifit. At least, I would think that it would be.

It would greatly beinfit you to train and instruct somewhere that, when you get to 1500 hrs, you have 1000 twin and 500 single (just making those numbers up). Right?

[ QUOTE ]
But isn't one of the benifits of training in a place that would normally use twins that, if you are hired as an instructor, you would instruct in mostly twins. If that's the case then most of your hours would be twin engine hours and that could be a serious benifit. At least, I would think that it would be.

It would greatly beinfit you to train and instruct somewhere that, when you get to 1500 hrs, you have 1000 twin and 500 single (just making those numbers up). Right?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what Ari-Ben, All-ATPs, and others promote, and it is a good strategy. But if you don't live near one of their locations, and don't want to pack up and move and quit your job (assuming you're employed), then you could still get a decent amount of multi hours during training (maybe 75-100).

I don't know specific insurance requirements, but with these hours in the type and model of ME aircraft at whatever school you attend, you should be in a good position to pick up some ME hours as an MEI, I would think.

If you're flexible in location and have the money, then you probably should look at one of these schools does most of their training in twins. All are good choices, depending on your situation.

No.

Most multi instructor jobs go to the more "senior" flight instructors (with the exception of being "hired back" at the school you did the all-twin training at). Even if you were lucky enough to get a job someplace as only a MEI there simply aren't that many multi students so oyou income would be severly limited.

I'm in this position right now and after I finish my MEI/MEII I'm going back to get all my single engine add-ons so I that I might be somewhat marketable.

Doing you training in a twin is great ... but you have to realise it won't do you a lot of good for your first few jobs. Those very first, entry-level jobs are all going to be single engine ops.

Thanks for the info. I'm heading down to florida the 22-25 to take a little vacation and to visit Epic and Ari-Ben. I'm leaning towards Ari because of all the twin time but I have heared great things about Epic too.

I guess only time will tell.

On a different note... I can't start my training until I sell my car. Anyone in the market for a 1991 Acura NSX? I'll make you a sweet deal on it.

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/vdetail.jtmpl?car_id=138484576&dealer_id=&car_year=1991&make=ACURA&distance=25&max_price=&model=NSX&end_year=2004&advcd_on=n&min_price=&address=45209&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=1983&color=&cardist=0

I thought about that but I don't really want to go to a big academy. I know they have great rep's and great programs but that's not the best atmosphere for learning (for me). I might stop in to FSI since I'll be driving right through Vero. But.... I'm not going to tell them that I'm coming because I don't want a cookie cutter tour.

I haven't decided yet.

But... I don't want to spend all of my time looking at schools either. I'm bringing my girlfriend and spending a couple days there for a mini vacation. I could use some beach time.

Back