Turn over rate or being burned out as a Dispatcher

Some just get bitter and angry but still keep working.

I'd call that being burned out as well. Regardless, these are the people who need to leave/retire/go anywhere else. The amount of poison they can dispense curdles the soul and can turn even the biggest kool-aid drinker into an angry and bitter employee. Misery loves and demands company.

I only really hear about burnout at the smaller cargo/regionals with the high workload and being understaffed. No one really leaves the majors unless you're retiring or dead

I will say this, the workloads are all higher for everyone (at majors And at the regionals).

If you’re at a regional, yes it sucks but you’re knocking out releases which is giving you experience, at the majors we are seeing burnouts as well. Vast numbers of people have left the majors because of buyout/early outs, etc which has made the majors pull from regionals even more. The issue is that we a lot of experienced people because of Covid, instead of coming at a drip pace, it was a floodgate of retirements… we will see more retirements at places like AA/SW as they changeover to flight keys as well. Embrace the suck for a year or two at a regional and you will be fine, and on the way out

I will say this, the workloads are all higher for everyone (at majors And at the regionals).

If you’re at a regional, yes it sucks but you’re knocking out releases which is giving you experience, at the majors we are seeing burnouts as well. Vast numbers of people have left the majors because of buyout/early outs, etc which has made the majors pull from regionals even more. The issue is that we a lot of experienced people because of Covid, instead of coming at a drip pace, it was a floodgate of retirements… we will see more retirements at places like AA/SW as they changeover to flight keys as well. Embrace the suck for a year or two at a regional and you will be fine, and on the way out

I figure the same thing at B6 as we switch over to Flight Keys in the next couple of years. My guess is a lot of 'spatchers close to or at retirement age are going to leave once we cut over

I figure the same thing at B6 as we switch over to Flight Keys in the next couple of years. My guess is a lot of 'spatchers close to or at retirement age are going to leave once we cut over
Is everyone and their mother getting Flight Keys?

process is already happening according tomy buddy, with more retirements inbound as well…

Have we seen a mass exodus from any industry before simply because people were unwilling to learn new methods? Flightkeys is actually incredibly intuitive and has so much automation that most of the dispatcher’s role is centered around exceptions. I’m not that near to retirement but I would probably stay in the industry longer if I was working with a tool that removed the drudgery from planning and allowed me to stay on top of flight following.

Have we seen a mass exodus from any industry before simply because people were unwilling to learn new methods? Flightkeys is actually incredibly intuitive and has so much automation that most of the dispatcher’s role is centered around exceptions. I’m not that near to retirement but I would probably stay in the industry longer if I was working with a tool that removed the drudgery from planning and allowed me to stay on top of flight following.

The driving thing is not wanting to learn, it is people being at a retirement point and it not being worth while learning a new system only to retire during or shortly after implementation.

Back