TSO'd

Icaro

TSO\'d

What does it mean for an aircraft part to be TSO'd (or not, as the case may be)?

Re: TSO\'d

It stands for Technical Standard Order. Is a standard that a part or radio must meet to be considered TSO'ed. I think it's just a more strict certification standard, is all. Not sure, but part 135 and up it may be required that your radios meet this spec. King used to have two NavComm radios that seemed identical on the outside. One was TSO'ed and one wasn't. The KX175 series was TSO'ed but the KX170 wasn't and yet they were interchangeable in the aircraft.

So I guess that for Part 91, a piece of equipment doesn't have to be TSO'd?

No, but it does have to be FAA certified to go into a FAA certifed airplane. That is different from TSO.

It depends some equipment must meet the respective TSO under Part 91. For example ELTs installed after June 21, 1995 must meet TSO-C91 per FAR 91.207. I think the that tranpsonders and encoders must as well but I'm not sure about that.

There's also the FAA-PMA certification for aircraft parts. Not sure what the difference is between TSO and PMA. In my book they just tack on the 150% price increase over a similiar non-TSO/PMA part! Our sun visors in the RJ: something like $300.

To my understanding PMA or Parts Manufacturer Approval means the item is a functional equivalent to whatever it is to replace and the part is produced with a controlled and documented process.

While TSO means the item has been tested to prove it conforms to a set of technical specs published by the FAA for a given type of equipment.

[ QUOTE ]
So I guess that for Part 91, a piece of equipment doesn't have to be TSO'd?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and no.

If something is going to be permanently installed on an aircraft and it does not have an STC or it is not original equipment/official replacement for original equipment it MUST be TSO'd for Part 91 ops.

So, for example, when we replaced our Attitude Indicator, Turn and Slip Indicator and our Magnetic Compass we had to replace each with a TSO'd version because we were not replacing them with new "identical" instruments.

As DE said all TSO means is it meat a "stricter" set of certification standards. It could be nothing more than every piece of equipment is actually tested (as oppesed to every fifth piece, etc.) or it could meant they use "better" parts for the TSO'd version. All that really matters is TSO'd stuff can fail just like non-TSO'd stuff and it costs more, usually a lot more.

PMA is similar to TSO when it comes to implimentation but it's more along the lines of "I'm going to replace my Gizmo with the identical Gizmo and on my airframe this particular Gizmo is PMA'd for use (meaing it doesn't need to be TSO'd in order to mount it)."

When you're dealing with an olde raircraft, essentially, EVERYTING you want to add to it needs to be TSO'd because finding original equipment is almost impossible - short of overhauling what you have.

I would like to install a 4 point harness and I'd like to replace my attitude indicator, so for these things, if I understood pilot602 correctly I need the parts to be TSO'd, correct?

The attitude indicator would probably need to be TSO'd. The Harness would most likely need to be STC'd.

Unless you can find an original equipment replacement for the Attitude indicator (meaning same manufacturer, same part-no or a PMA version for that attitude indicator).

Because the airplane wasn't certified with a four-point harness you'll need an STC (Supplemental Type Certificate) because you are "changing" the equipment installed on the airframe.

Gotta love the FAA.

I'd say talk to the mechanic who's gonna sign off your work before you believe any advice you get at this thread...including mine....

I will. I wanted to just try to understand the process itself. More complicated than I thought.

Back