TSLA now valued at 464.3B

We’ve “printed” a lot of money over the last few months.

I’m afraid that once the stimulus defibrillator burns out, it’s gonna be an express elevator to hell.
a01.gif

Time for an update... TSLA Valuation has increased by 42% since I created this thread, and now has a Market Cap of 659 Billion Dollars.

Ford is 35.61 Billion
Boeing is 124.06 Billion
Apple is 2.15 Trillion

Tesla is considered by many to be more of a Tech company than a car company, so perhaps it’s still undervalued? Not sure their Operating Margin will ever approach that of a pure tech stock though.

Oh, and freaking Door Dash is worth 52.84 Billion now. Not sure which is more baffling.

Could be. Or Zoom. Or one of the many other stocks that have skyrocketed during the pandemic, highlighting the divide between Wall Street and everyone else.

The thing about Tesla though is that it’s on its own crazy trajectory. Put options on it are WAY too expensive with all of the volatility on it, and with the huge price on the stock it’s extremely expensive to short sell it too. It’s basically in this weird position now where it’s hard for anyone to correct it with a Bearish position, and it’s insanely leveraged up with Option calls.

It’s the figurative house of cards, and when it goes it’s going to be epic and almost certainly going to drag a bunch of other stuff down. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if next week is when it crashes, since the S&P inclusion date was this past Friday. Not really a whole lot left to prop it up now, except maybe the stimulus package.

Whoever has the brass to short it is definitely going to win big if they get the timing right.

The question I have regarding Tesla is what is going to happen as the larger high volume automakers start to sell carbon offset credits which are the only reason Tesla has been profitable.

It is an older article (and CNBC garbage, spit) but this describes how Tesla has been making profit and how they expect offset sales to decline in the future.

So what happens as GM and Ford get spooled up with EV sales and are able to go after Tesla’s offset business, they are still more of a boutique auto maker vs the volume brands. And the larger companies are able to still benefit from the federal and local tax credit from new EV sales. Before I left Colorado I was considering the Mustang Mach E for my wife and the 12,500$ discount reallly helped the math with that.

This is the windfall I see for say GM when they start selling cheapo EVs to rental car companies and then turn around and sell the offset, it is a win win for them and Tesla, unless it really gets it act together won’t be able to capture that kind of volume market.

I agree. Tesla is a great company, but the people that think they somehow have a monopoly on EVs are smoking crack. Ford, GM, Toyota, and also probably Hyundai and Kia are going to be cranking out very competitive products soon (and no doubt the offerings from China, like Nio). The thing about EVs is that they’re actually MUCH easier to design and build than a traditional ICE car.

Heck, Ford’s Mach-E is already pretty badass:

All of the others. Literally all of them.

Eww.

I’m surprised to hear you say that, usually you seem like someone that can be objective. Teslas are cool, but their fit and finish is awful. Not only is that well known by like every automotive journalist, you can see it for yourself in person. Thin paint, panel gaps, etc. I notice it all the time when walking by them. They also have horrific reliability, finishing almost last in rankings for years now:

The interiors are also cheap, and the display/driver dash is lacking.

I’m very pro-American business, and am stoked we have this amazing car company to somewhat “disrupt” the industry. But they have some major challenges, and as a former mechanical engineer and lifetime car guy that has designed and built FSAE race cars I see some major issues that need to be dealt with. It would be extremely foolish to think Tesla is somehow untouchable when it comes to quality, value, and (shortly down the road) technology.

I said it before, but it bears repeating: EVs are MUCH simpler than ICE cars and there's really no reason every established auto manufacturer can’t come up with a very nice product in the next couple of years. The Mach-E quite frankly has surprised me with how quickly it came along.

Back