TSA Aircraft Incident

When I read the thread title, I thought that the Blue Suits of Uselessness had done some more inves-duh-gatin' and maybe pulled a pitot tube off an airplane or something.

I find it unbelieveable that management is still trying to sue the union for illegal job actions for the increased number of MX writeups.

I find it unbelieveable that management is still trying to sue the union for illegal job actions for the increased number of MX writeups.

Wha??!?!? If it's broke, write it up. Should be doing that even if you're NOT in contract negotiations. What's the FAA say about it?

We've gotten memos that we have to write up *everything* and that the feds are vigorously pursuing certificate action against anyone who doesn't. I bet we've had increased writeups as well.

Wha??!?!? If it's broke, write it up. Should be doing that even if you're NOT in contract negotiations. What's the FAA say about it?

You're preaching to the choir. We write stuff up negotiations or not. We have been in negotiations for over three years so the fact that management is trying to put this off on us is absurd. In the past couple of months the number of writeups spiked because they aren't fixing anything anymore. No APUs (I have the number and procedure memorized) and misc crap that need to be addressed every other leg. Flying long legs for with a CDL that restricts you to 250/.65 for many days. When time is up, "ops check good, unable to duplicate."

We think this is related to the uncertain future. We lost our American flying (17 airplanes total) plus more are being released so they can allegedly reacquire them later at better rates. The 10 planes that AMR transferred to TSA (illegally) we trash to begin with but now they are even worse since they are going back. TSA is the bane of any gate agents day (though they ardently claim that Mesa is far worse) as the aircraft are not reliable with deferred seats, hog gates (mx), and cancellations. I am downright embarrassed to be at work some days.

You're preaching to the choir. We write stuff up negotiations or not. We have been in negotiations for over three years so the fact that management is trying to put this off on us is absurd. In the past couple of months the number of writeups spiked because they aren't fixing anything anymore. No APUs (I have the number and procedure memorized) and misc crap that need to be addressed every other leg. Flying long legs for with a CDL that restricts you to 250/.65 for many days. When time is up, "ops check good, unable to duplicate."

Yeah, that wasn't a slam on your pilot group. That was more of a "I can't believe management is saying that stuff." As for the "ops check good" and not fixing things.....did some of our MX management guys go to TSA? That sounds about par for the Pinnacle course, too.

My main reason for running APUs as little as I can isn't to save fuel, it's to save the time on the APU. I know when it hits a certain point, rather than check it or overhaul it....they'll just defer it.

We've gotten memos that we have to write up *everything* and that the feds are vigorously pursuing certificate action against anyone who doesn't. I bet we've had increased writeups as well.

I'm sure that it stems from the increased scrutiny that the FAA has received in the last year. We have received similar memos as well.

Yeah, that wasn't a slam on your pilot group. That was more of a "I can't believe management is saying that stuff." As for the "ops check good" and not fixing things.....did some of our MX management guys go to TSA? That sounds about par for the Pinnacle course, too.

My main reason for running APUs as little as I can isn't to save fuel, it's to save the time on the APU. I know when it hits a certain point, rather than check it or overhaul it....they'll just defer it.

I hear you man. I should have said "Man, you are preaching to the choir." I know you aren't that type of guy.

We think this is related to the uncertain future. .

That's pretty interesting. Out of curiosity I read the latest company newsletter and the CFO or who ever he was was using very alarmist language about the state of TSA and the year 2009. Sounded very desperate and made it seem like there should to be mass concessions out of everyone to keep TSA profitable. It just struck me like they were intentionally trying to lower the company morale for some reason.... on the outside TSA looks fine with the UA and US contracts.

That's pretty interesting. Out of curiosity I read the latest company newsletter and the CFO or who ever he was was using very alarmist language about the state of TSA and the year 2009. Sounded very desperate and made it seem like there should to be mass concessions out of everyone to keep TSA profitable. It just struck me like they were intentionally trying to lower the company morale for some reason.... on the outside TSA looks fine with the UA and US contracts.

Pay attention to SEC filings and shareholder conference calls. They can stretch the truth with employees all they want, and they're just DBs. They do that on an SEC filing or lie to the shareholders, they're criminals.

Embraers have an issue with the seals in the engine having to do with the bleeds and the packs.

I'm not exactly sure which one, but apparently at Eagle back in the day, there were similar issues on many occasions.

Recently, I had a high-speed RTO in Boston due to smoke and fumes in the cockpit. Same issue- when MX ran up the airplane, the pack started pumping smoke into the cockpit and cabin. According to the captain I was with, an engine change would be required.

I've heard disparaging things about TSA's mx department and how they try to shave a few cents here and there. If this is actually their operating standard, then I would not be surprised if their sudden swell in cabin smoke incidents is related to not dealing with the engine seal issue effectively.

They supposedly found a melted duct on the airplane in question. That was the first time that it happened...not sure about the other two times. The aircraft in question is still out of service from the 3rd time a couple days ago. Hopefully they'll fix it and not pencil-whip it like the always do.

It'll be interesting to see how the company reacts in the coming weeks. Currently, they are unable to get financing for new airplanes for TSA or GJ if the TSA pilots aren't under a new contract. Advantage: Pilots?

They supposedly found a melted duct on the airplane in question. That was the first time that it happened...not sure about the other two times. The aircraft in question is still out of service from the 3rd time a couple days ago. Hopefully they'll fix it and not pencil-whip it like the always do.

It'll be interesting to see how the company reacts in the coming weeks. Currently, they are unable to get financing for new airplanes for TSA or GJ if the TSA pilots aren't under a new contract. Advantage: Pilots?

Wish the company Pinnacle works with for financing would say that. "Sorry, can't grow Colgan until you settle with the Pinnacle guys."

It sounds like we've got the company exactly where we need/want them right now. Their hands are tied, it seems. They wanted us to sign a 2 year contract extension with a minimal pay increase and no job protection...hah!

Back