Trump admin launches program to help veterans become commercial pilots

All restrictions for PRK and LASIK were removed in 2007

Nice. That had me horrified that the cut they make in the eye could come open again at some point. Thanks to extended wear contacts and being a civilian I doubt I'll ever undergo any of these kinds of surgeries though.

I got PRK back in 2010 and it was the best thing I ever did. I was 20/400 and now I'm 20/15.

I'm glad it went well for you. Did you have any problems with your night vision at all? Was there much of a recovery period? I'd still love to get it done, but now that I spent all this money to be a pilot and have a career as one I don't think I'm willing to chance it no matter how good the procedures are getting.

I'm glad it went well for you. Did you have any problems with your night vision at all? Was there much of a recovery period? I'd still love to get it done, but now that I spent all this money to be a pilot and have a career as one I don't think I'm willing to chance it no matter how good the procedures are getting.
I had LASIK in 2005, went from 20/Blind to 20/15 & 20/20. 10 years post LASIK I had to get glasses again as my eyes continued to age, but I really need them at night. LASIK reduced my night vision, especially causing halos with headlights / traffic lights etc. Doesn't happen to everyone, but is a possible by product.

I have slight halos at night around lights but nothing crazy. PRK is a bit longer recovery period but it's more durable than LASIK. I had to get PRK because my corneas or whatever were to thin for LASIK. Per AF rules I couldn't get my medical back for at least 6 weeks but I know with the FAA it's more like a week (at least for Controllers, don't know about pilots). Immediate post-op recovery was about 3 days then maybe 6 months of light sensitivity but nothing that wasn't solved just by wearing sunglasses anytime I was outside.

Another data point for you. I am prior enlisted. Got PRK in 2004 from the Marine Corps (well, Navy really), got commissioned in ‘08 and had my first T-34C flight in 2009. Been in ground and air combat. Was a private pilot before I commissioned and it didn’t make a hill of beans difference in my aviation training. Will be using GI Bill for my ATP-CTP. I think I got everything covered in this thread.

Also, PRK is one of the top 5 things that has ever happened to me and one of my top 3 best decisions in life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Another data point for. I️ am prior enlisted. Got PRK in 2004 from the Marine Corps (well, Navy really), got commissioned in ‘08 and had my first T-34C flight in 2009. Been in ground and air combat. Was a private pilot before I️ commissioned and it didn’t make a hill of beans difference in my aviation training. Will be using GI Bill for my ATP-CTP. I️ think I️ got everything covered in this thread.

Also, PRK is one of the top 5 things that has ever happened to me and one of my top 3 best decisions in life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you came in enlisted and then upgraded to being an officer? I'm a bit clueless as a civilian. Did your private pilot rating at least help you get selected to become a pilot at all?

So you came in enlisted and then upgraded to being an officer? I'm a bit clueless as a civilian. Did your private pilot rating at least help you get selected to become a pilot at all?

We had a guy who washed out of ATC who had his commercial and I think multi. He was accepted into officer candidate school even after washing out and became a WSO on the F-15E

We had a guy who washed out of ATC who had his commercial and I think multi. He was accepted into officer candidate school even after washing out and became a WSO on the F-15E

Glad to know that the rating counts for something. I've done a little bit of research, but I doubt I have the best picture of what the initial flight training in the military's like and what the washout rate is as I'm sure there are plenty of capable pilots washing out too as it has to be a lot more pressure and urgency than what we face in the civilian world. I'm sure having a private or at least some flight experience makes that early training easier than someone entirely new to flying.

My enlisted friends would say that I downgraded. I went through an enlisted commissioning program. About 100 Marines per year get it, and it's a great deal. Biggest scam in the Marine Corps. Bigger than getting PRK for free. I've gotten some great gigs from being in the military, thus why I have committed my life to it (until 2020, then who knows where I'll be).

I like to think that the PPL helped out, but it was more likely above average grades in a difficult major and maxing out the scores on the ASTB (standardized test the Navy/Marine Corps gives for flight candidates).

Can't speak for all commissioning routes, or for all the services, but I know that civilian flight experience had exactly zero effect on getting picked up for pilot out of NROTC.....it wasn't even something they asked about. I think that might well be different on the USAF side, and maybe some other programs. I was a commercial/IR ticket holder at the time. As for actual usefulness in Navy flight training......it helped me get through primary in the T-34C with good enough grades to get jets. Once I started intermediate/advanced jet training, it had basically no value, the flying was so different and you were flying so terribly much faster than in a Cessna/Piper, and doing quasi make believe "tactical" things too such as formation flying, dropping little blue bombs, and in a very loose definition, dogfighting/ACM/BFM. Long story short, I knew people who had backgrounds that ran from no previous flying experience, to Alaskan bush flying, to regional airline pilot. When we got through the first few weeks of T-45 flights, we were all on the same level, doing something completely new. At that point, success or failure was largely based on your ability to learn quickly and improve within the time allocated. If you didn't, you got booted. I knew 1000+ hr civilian former regional pilots who got booted, just like I knew folks with zero prior time who rocked the program.

It will give you a leg over other applicants on the actual academic evaluations done because some of the terms and images will be familiar....

Outside that my civilian flight experience only impressed my individual recruiter, not anybody on the board.

You’d have far greater impact having an outstanding PT score and a high GPA.

This has all stemmed from certain programs like leading edge aviation initially taking advantage of vets. Charging them 150-200k for helicopter training and starting them in a turbine as a student pilot. That absolutely needed to be addressed, however the government again reacted with a knee jerk and cut a lot of good programs funding down.

It was upper limit aviation in Utah that was over charging and training in a turbine, not leading edge aviation in Oregon. I went to leading edge for my helicopter ratings.

Back