Trucking business.

desertdog71

Girthy Member
Since all of my PM's revolve around people wanting to get into trucking or asking about it.

Here is the deal.

If you want to get into the business, do not waste your money and go to some community college or driving school and plop down the money for training.

My suggestion is to sign on with a company that does training and requires you to do a training contract. Your school will be paid for, provided you stay with that company for the duration of the contract. Those run 12-18 months.

There are several "training" companies and most of them suck in one way or another. My personal opinion is that if you want to go this route, go to Schneider National. They are nation wide, have terminals and places to train all over the country. They will teach you properly and they don't suck near as bad as other places after you are trained.

Point 2. All these "training" companies suck. So do your time, keep your mouth shut, and move on after your contract is up.

Point 3. Do NOT get sucked into a lease purchase program. This is where you lease/purchase a tractor from the company and then you operate like an owner/operator. I will simply say that YOU WILL FAIL. Without the experience you are ill prepared for the realities of business ownership. If you are versed in business ownership, you ought to know better than to lease purchase a truck. These programs exist to prey on the uneducated and those with crap credit. If your credit sucks, don't try to be a business owner. I will not go further into this, just don't do it.

Point 4. If you think your regional jet jock job is tough and your QOL sucks, you are a pansy ass and ill equipped to handle trucking. Freight dogs that work 12-15 hour days and sleep in hangars have a better idea of the suck you will face in trucking. You will be gone 14-21 days minimum, you will get one day off for 7 on the road, you go to bed and wake up at your job. You will be over regulated and ass raped by every state in the union if your • isn't 100% in order, you will be mistreated by shippers, receivers, other drivers, the waitress at the truckcstop and everyone else you meet. You will not exercise, not be able to eat healthy, gain weight, probably get diabetes and croak by the time you reach 61. Yes 61 is the average life expectancy of a truck driver.

Point 5. Over 90% of people that get into this business are out of it in less than a year.

Point 6. If that all sounds awesome to you and you are in good shape, learn to do something specialized like flatbed work. Flatbed work pays really good about 3-4 years down the road when you buy a truck and work for yourself.

Now you have a small snapshot of what it is, and how to get into it.

Now also understand that I clear about $1500 a week as an owner/operator and I will give it all up tomorrow for a $35K a year flying gig. Money comes and goes, and its not that difficult to make if you are willing to work. In October, once my final truck payment is made, I am selling the truck and going back to aviation with adequate savings this time to be able to survive the first two years.

Best of luck to you all.

Good writeup for someone im sure. I feel bad for a lot of those guys(truckers), they work hard to earn what they have.

Look at it this way, no one has made a movie about an insane regional pilot yet who hunts down people who mess with them on the radio.

Not yet anyways. LOL

Anyone wanting to get into the business. I'll sell you a fine 2006 Freightliner Columbia and teach you how to drive it. $20,000 all included. You will make over $1000 a week unless you suck and then you won't have to bitch about regional pay, 5am shows, and 4 day trips. You'd be your own boss and do whatever you want.

DD -

I remember when you left the trucking business and were instructing full time at White Air. What changed for you once you went to Colgan?

Colgan was fine, I was just out of money by that time and couldn't afford to stay. That is when White Air offered me $40K salary to instruct, so that is what I did into 2009, then I flew one last season for Grand Canyon Airlines. That wrapped up on 10/29/2009 and I was forced to return to trucking to pay the bills. I have a family and mortgage and no desire to relocate.

Now, I have rebuilt my savings and want to make another run, because honestly the upside in aviation is way better and I enjoy it. I don't feel like I was able to give myself a legitimate chance at the 121 world because I ran out of money and options.

Good write up. My wife and I did trucking for a year, and we would have gone another couple of years if life had not happened.

It's definitely work, but we were together and seeing the country. We'd both do it again in a heartbeat, but we were a team and we like each other. It changes the dynamics a lot when you have someone with you. We could also make more money because of how teams are treated vs solos.

I'll second going to a training company. My wife and I did that, got excellent training, and were happy with how the whole deal was handled. I may get in trouble for this, but go to thetruckersreport.com. It's a web forum, like this one, but for trucks.

I'm not worried about getting work again, I really can't do much until October when I sell my truck anyways. Unless of course, something that pays decent presents itself, then I can eat a few months truck payment and not worry about savings as much.

Honestly Boris, I will fly anything if the money is right and it works logistically for me. I am not relocating for any job paying under $70K so logistics will play a big role. I have options for base in ORD or PHX but that is about it as far as sitting reserve somewhere. Commuting from Tulsa is no picnic if going anywhere on the coasts.

If you told me, I could drive to my local airport, fly a piston twin or small t-prop 5 days a week and make $40K, I'd pretty much be like a pig in poop. It's just not reality though.

If you're in Tulsa, look up Flight Concepts. I think they have some commutable air ambo stuff out west. Also some lears in Tulsa. It wouldn't hurt to drop by the International Jet hangar, too. Last I heard they had a few MU-2s left and just the DO still flying, but there's always the chance that things have started to pick up. Couldn't find a better bunch of people to work for/with. Tell em Matt C. sent you. This may or may not help... ;)

When I said "international jet", I meant "incontinental jet". (pilot) words is hard! (/pilot). In any case, good luck.

Oh, also, Omni (the DC-10/757 operator) has some Lears there, too, on a 135 cert. Might look at that. Hope something pans out.

Only 1500 a week? Go work as a freight train conductor you can make more. All you need is a ged no previous training required the rr will pay for everything. There are negatives too but the way you described trucking sounds like its way worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting read. I have experience driving small box trucks and a few straight trucks but nothing with Air Brakes or requiring a CDL. There are good local jobs and Class B jobs that pay well. If for what ever I can't fly or get burnt out from Aviation, I'll do trucking but not OTR. Is there any money to be made buying a small Isuzu box truck and doing local deliveries for example?

Interesting read. I have experience driving small box trucks and a few straight trucks but nothing with Air Brakes or requiring a CDL. There are good local jobs and Class B jobs that pay well. If for what ever I can't fly or get burnt out from Aviation, I'll do trucking but not OTR. Is there any money to be made buying a small Isuzu box truck and doing local deliveries for example?
I don't know about anything that small. My guess is no because every swinging sausage in the business wants to stay local.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Very good read. I was looking into getting my CDL and start trucking. From what I researched as well as your input, I'm glad I didn't take the plunge.

I'm at one of the more reputable LTL companies, they hand-picked me off the dock and paid for my CDL-A. Got doubles, haz, and tanker. Monday thru Friday, 430 AM start and work until the job is done or the 14 hour clock runs out. It's all within 50 miles of the terminal, and I've been finding myself dowtown/in the city limits a lot recently.

I used to fantasize about OTR, but now that I see how rigorous the schedule can be, combined with how shippers/recievers treat road drivers, plus the health consequences... Meh. There's a lot of jobs in trucking, and I think I'm lucky to have among the better ones. I really couldn't recommend it for just anybody, and I especially wouldn't condone dropping thousands for a CDL.

Back