Trip to Europe!!

tripleseven

Hi everyone....Well, Im off to Europe (Italy, Switzerland, France, and England) July 1st for a graduation gift from my parents! Im going with a group of friends from school but it should be fun. My question is, is that we will be flying on Lufthansa on an A340, and I was wondering has anyone been on one....what's it like. Also, since this will be my first international flight and a flight lasting longer than 6 hrs whats some good advice to flight jet lag....and not get bored. Thanks a lot.

I fly to Australia usually once a year. The trip from Los angeles, or San francisco to Sydney is between 13 and 16 hours depending on where you depart, season, weather (always heavy winds over the Pacific Ocean)......etc.....Normally the night before I fly I only sleep for about 4 hours or so that way I'm already dog tired before the flight departs (flights on UAL to Australia always depart late at night and arrive early in the morning for example if a flight left at 10:45pm Thursday from L.A it would arrive at about 6:45am Saturday in Australia). I figure if I can sleep at least 8 hours and arrive in the morning it's pretty simple to get into the timezone. I try to avoid jetlag altogether! Since you'll be flying East you should try and prepare yourself for the timezone change a few days before you depart. Also make sure you drink plenty of water so you don't dehydrate on the plane. If you're sleeping the whole way you don't need to worry about getting bored. And if you can't sleep and do happen to become bored walk around the aircraft, chat the flight attendants up, talk to people, make friends. On my last flight I couldn't sleep so that's what I did. Met about 12 people 2 of them which were females around my age I sat next to the rest of the flight and just talked.
cool.gif
..Most weirdest flight I've ever been on, but it was also the best!!! lol.......took me 3 weeks to recover from the flight only because I hadn't been able to sleep and didn't drink anywhere near enough water on the plane!!!!!! I especially love flying on long international flights!!!!
grin.gif
Wish the flight to Australia was a bit longer......
frown.gif

-Amos

I've flown on Lufthansa a lot...always Business Class, which is very nice. I'd say the coach seats on an A340 aren't any better than domestic US airlines, so you'll be pretty packed in. They do announcements in German first, then English. The preflight briefing is done on the screen with an animated program...it's really funny, try not to laugh.

Bring lot's of stuff to do unless you're a sleeper...I can't sleep on planes. Walkman, Gameboy, a book...whatever, and they will show two movies, so get the headsets. If your a typical teenage male and need to eat a lot you should bring your own food or you could get pretty hungry between the two meals you get.

Frankfurt is pretty cool...you'll connect there. It's a huge airport and great for watching planes...I've noticed a couple of nice observation decks but I always head for the lounges to drink beer. The airport isn't really fancy but efficient in a German sort of way...you'll see what I mean. There is a long underground walkway between domestic and international, just like UA at ORD. Also, very interesting people watching as you see all kinds of dress from all over the world.

You won't impress the Germans by running around being loud kids...have fun but be polite and you'll be treated with the minimum of kindness in return. I've always been treated okay but have always got the feeling they don't really like Americans. Other parts of Europe I've been to are great...Poland, Norway, and Denmark, absolutly ROCK.

As a guy who has flown the pond more times then I would like to say I can give you some advice. I do not like the A340 - it feels small and quite cramped - however I was flying Virgin which are the crappiest airline around IMHO.

Yes the flights are very long - your best bet is as soon as you are on the plane set your watch to the time of your location (if it is night go to sleep - if you will need to sleep when you land stay awake, etc) and plan your night sleep (the day before) around if you have to sleep on the aircraft or not. Depending if you need to sleep or stay awake dictates your options on how to pass the time.

Take your own food. Airline food is horrible and on the long flights you could have an empty tray infront of you for a long time. I generaly take a family togo's and eat it over the whole ride.

I highly suggest paying the $50 or whatever it is to get into the lounge before you depart. You have to get to the airport 2-3 hours before you depart and waiting with the riff raff in the terminal is no fun. In the lounge you just get to relax, have a drink, read a paper, watch TV, etc and do some networking.

[ QUOTE ]
I've always been treated okay but have always got the feeling they don't really like Americans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, that and there lack of humour is the way the germans are. I went to uni with a ton of them, and I still have a hard time understanding the culture. I hate to say it but many of them just seem very unfriendly. I would recommend walking around the aircraft evcery hour or so - just to get the blood going around.

[ QUOTE ]
You have to get to the airport 2-3 hours before you depart and waiting with the riff raff in the terminal is no fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I resent that comment!

[ QUOTE ]
I highly suggest paying the $50 or whatever it is to get into the lounge before you depart. You have to get to the airport 2-3 hours before you depart and waiting with the riff raff in the terminal is no fun. In the lounge you just get to relax, have a drink, read a paper, watch TV, etc and do some networking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow Iain, you think those lounges are worth $50? I used to fly Lufthansa every week for work so I have their megasuper status
grin.gif
but when my status expires in a couple years I'll never pay that much to get into the lounges. Sure you get free drinks and snacks - and I stress snacks, no really good food - but save your 50 bucks and go flying! Even though I can get into the lounges for free I spend most of the time with the riff-raff so I don't get bored with all the suits.

Back