Traveling w/Bike

what kind of range do you get out of a used Leaf?

70 miles, wife uses it as her daily driver and it's great. In CA she can use it in the carpool lane solo (for now).

2 wipes at best.

8766890.0.jpg

I just can't wrap my head around dropping $9-10K on a bicycle. That's nuts. For that kind of money into a set of knobbies it'd better have a ripping 2T and electric start.

There are people who believe dropping $12-15K on a motorcycle is insane....BMW makes bikes that cost more than a lot of cars, as I'm sure you know.

It's all about what you're passionate about. I have a friend who is an avid, competitive cyclist and he's probably got 8 grand in his bicycke in components and equipment. I'd never spend that because I'll never feel the *need* but he's got the money and time, so more power to him.

Frankly, I keep getting an itch to pick up a Versys. Have to quash that need for now.

I just can't wrap my head around dropping $9-10K on a bicycle. That's nuts. For that kind of money into a set of knobbies it'd better have a ripping 2T and electric start.

I paid 2k for a custom mountain bike. It was totally worth it for me.
I’ve known folks to pay 10-15k for a professional road bike.
If it’s your life and you make big cash, I say go for it.

Good thread, I've always rented when on the road - easy enough to bring shoes, pedals, helmet and a pack. However it is tempting to bring something along at times to have your own steed. Rentals & demos can certainly be a mixed bag. Buddy of mine of is keeping his folding bike at a Paris bike shop for the summer so that's handy. I know a number of our crews have bikes in AMS and other places, handy if you could snag the same overnights enough I guess.

Do your employers have rules against higher risk activities while on a trip? I think I could get away with mountain biking and hiking, but much more and I'd be politely asked to stop.

If the company is directing what you may or may not do during a rest period, then it's duty, and not rest.

This. That said, I'm not necessarily going to try to clear a big arse drop or double on an unfamiliar bike in the middle of a trip. I did hit a few drops & jumps in LAS awhile back but decided to stay away from one that had bigger consequences. Especially since I was by myself. I'd have no problem calling in sick if I crashed doing something I should be able to handle, but if I was sendin' it? Well, my chief may well have good reason to call me out I'd think. Off days?

im-still-gonna-send-it-17862232.png

Flying charter I had regular 2-3 day sits in various places with action sports. We had a written policy that said something along the lines of “ if you’re good at riding the black diamonds feel free to ride the blues, but no one shall try the double blacks while on a layover”

Back