Transporting an aircraft to Europe?

A jet is a lot different than a piston aircraft and far more reliable. I would have no problem taking a properly equipped SEL turbine across the Atlantic.

If I remember correctly the USAF and NAVY pilot also wear the uncomforatble dry suits when crossing large bodies of water and have the benefit of being in formation. If someone has to eject their exact position is going to be called into SAR.

If I remember correctly the USAF and NAVY pilot also wear the uncomforatble dry suits when crossing large bodies of water

The term you are looking for is "poopy suit"

index.php

If someone has to eject their exact position is going to be called into SAR.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help the boats get there much quicker. You are still going to be in the water a *long time* before someone picks you up.

The point of this, anyway, was the original assertion that nobody, ever, at all, unless they are a complete idiot, should fly across a body of water in a single engine aircraft.

Through this discussion, we have come to the conclusion that, in fact, it is okay to do for people with specific types of training, experience, and equipment.

The point of this, anyway, was the original assertion that nobody, ever, at all, unless they are a complete idiot, should fly across a body of water in a single engine aircraft.
Okay, let's modify that to "civil aircraft". Military is fine...you have to take a little more risk in a military situation.

Through this discussion, we have come to the conclusion that, in fact, it is okay to do for people with specific types of training, experience, and equipment.
Yeah, it's called the military. The rules get thrown out WRT the military.

There's no reason to fly a 172 over the North Atlantic. Ever.

-mini

There's no reason to fly a 172 over the North Atlantic. Ever.
Delivery is a reason. Your comment brings us right back to the beginning; opinion Vs factual data. Many think it idiotic and to be avoided...yet there are all those flights which are relatively uneventful and feature a successful arrival at the intended destination. Somebody should tell those ferry pilots.:rolleyes:

If a pilot decides not to make a flight because of the perceived risk, fine. But that same pilot should not project his feelings onto other pilots. It is exactly the crap I get about night flights over mtn terrain in a SE. I suppose I could add single pilot IFR to that too because I have been the recepient of many unsolicited comments questioning my descions to make such a flight.

It's one thing to say something such as, Hey, have you checked the weather? It's quite another thing to say, You're an idiot for making this flight.

Why do people feel it not just okay but their duty to inform me of their perceptions that I am an idiot for doing that which they would not?

"Hey, Wayne Handley. You're an idiot for flying like that!" Oh, he's proficient and properly equipped to meet the risk associated with that type of flight? So it goes for SE over water.

Yeah, it's called the military. The rules get thrown out WRT the military.

You're going to have to provide a little more definition here.

Military aviators operate by guidelines that are in most cases just as restrictive as the FAA. Outside of the legal realm, the very same types of ORM decisions are made by military flyers as their civilian counterparts. In fact, in my experience there is more attention paid to risk management and safety in military flying than there is in any type of professional civil aviation that I've seen.

In terms of the law, sometimes there are mission requirements that allow military aircraft to do things that aren't allowed in 14 CFR, but that is a Grand Canyon's worth of difference from "the rules get thrown out". The same thing goes for risk management decisions -- the mission comes first, but ORM is always part of the equasion. Flight-suit wearers are not just out there "turning and burning" at "mach 1 with their hair on fire".

It's disciplined, high-performance flying that is tightly regulated, and thoroughly trained and briefed to.

Guys flying combat missions are even filling out risk management matrices before their sorties, and that ORM is being reviewed by supervision. Who'd have thought that...organized ORM processes in combat. What would the crews of WWII thought of that....(shame, probably!).

Anyway, back on topic...

If your (and ppragman)'s points were that there's no reason for a general aviation pilot to fly a single engine general aviation aircraft over large bodies of water, then that's what you should have said.

Instead, a broad generalization (opinion, actually) was made that is at least partly inaccurate.

Words mean stuff.

Military aviators operate by guidelines that are in most cases just as restrictive as the FAA. Outside of the legal realm, the very same types of ORM decisions are made by military flyers as their civilian counterparts. In fact, in my experience there is more attention paid to risk management and safety in military flying than there is in any type of professional civil aviation that I've seen.

In terms of the law, sometimes there are mission requirements that allow military aircraft to do things that aren't allowed in 14 CFR, but that is a Grand Canyon's worth of difference from "the rules get thrown out". The same thing goes for risk management decisions -- the mission comes first, but ORM is always part of the equasion. Flight-suit wearers are not just out there "turning and burning" at "mach 1 with their hair on fire".

It's disciplined, high-performance flying that is tightly regulated, and thoroughly trained and briefed to.

Guys flying combat missions are even filling out risk management matrices before their sorties, and that ORM is being reviewed by supervision. Who'd have thought that...organized ORM processes in combat. What would the crews of WWII thought of that....(shame, probably!).

Anyway, back on topic...

If your (and ppragman)'s points were that there's no reason for a general aviation pilot to fly a single engine general aviation aircraft over large bodies of water, then that's what you should have said.

Instead, a broad generalization (opinion, actually) was made that is at least partly inaccurate.

Words mean stuff.

Read my post. Nothing single engine without survival gear, floats or gliding distance is a good idea. Period. If the military does it without survival gear in the F-16s that's a horrible idea, and they will regret it when they lose a pilot to the North Atlantic. I'm not the one to make the decision though.

A turbine is better than a piston, but either way, you're just as screwed if the thing quits and your not prepared.

BTW, just because the military tells you to do something doesn't make it a good idea normally, but hey, its your job. In normal life no person with a sense of self preservation would favorably respond to, "alright son, run up that hill and charge that machine gun nest." But its your job.

Read my post. Nothing single engine without survival gear, floats or gliding distance is a good idea. Period. If the military does it without survival gear in the F-16s that's a horrible idea, and they will regret it when they lose a pilot to the North Atlantic. I'm not the one to make the decision though.

I highly doubt the miltary crosses any large body of water unprepared.

Wasn't there movie put out several years that was on a true store about 2 aircraft try ferry across a large body of water? 1 aircraft turned back due to mechanical and the other ended up getting lost and ditched after an NDB or OMEGA failure?

Delivery is a reason. Your comment brings us right back to the beginning; opinion Vs factual data.
Tear the wings off, put it in a box and ship it. Reassemble it on the other side. There's your delivery.

Many think it idiotic and to be avoided...yet there are all those flights which are relatively uneventful and feature a successful arrival at the intended destination. Somebody should tell those ferry pilots.:rolleyes:
Thousands of people do recreational drugs every day and don't get HIV from the needles. Does that mean it's a good idea? Someone should tell those crack addicts.

If a pilot decides not to make a flight because of the perceived risk, fine. But that same pilot should not project his feelings onto other pilots.
Why? That's how you learn. I'd rather learn from other people's experiences (loss of vacuum power, engine, electrical, fires, etc.) than my own mistakes that I only get to make once.

It is exactly the crap I get about night flights over mtn terrain in a SE.
Which, IMO, isn't the greatest idea. Though I'd rather do that than fly a single over water day OR night beyond power off gliding distance.

I suppose I could add single pilot IFR to that too because I have been the recepient of many unsolicited comments questioning my descions to make such a flight.
Single pilot IFR can be safer than a two person crew if the single pilot knows what he or she is doing. There are plenty of pilots that have turned the wrong way in IMC and slam into mountains because they were discussing the procedure with their co-pilot rather than just flying the aircraft.

I think the single pilot IFR vs. two pilot IFR debate needs to be based on aircraft type too. Yeah, you can get just as dead in a 172 or a single pilot jet, but how much faster are things happening in that single pilot jet than your 172? Three? Four times as fast? Two and a half at the very least? Things can get out of hand very quickly and a second set of trained eyes/hands might be a better idea in that case.

It's one thing to say something such as, Hey, have you checked the weather? It's quite another thing to say, You're an idiot for making this flight.
Yes, it is. They both have different meanings. There's no reason to fly a plane like a 172 across the north atlantic...none. It just isn't that important.

Why do people feel it not just okay but their duty to inform me of their perceptions that I am an idiot for doing that which they would not?
Because we probably know people that have had problems in these situations and we don't want to see you have the same bad situation happen. In the end, I don't much care to be honest. You can go fly a Cirrus from NY to EGLL if you want. I won't lose sleep over it, but don't expect me to give you a pat on the back and tell you I think it was the finest piece of judgment and decision making I've ever seen.

"Hey, Wayne Handley. You're an idiot for flying like that!" Oh, he's proficient and properly equipped to meet the risk associated with that type of flight? So it goes for SE over water.
Just how proficient can one be at ditching in the middle of the north atlantic, surving impact, egressing, successfully getting to the surface and not swimming DOWN, climbing into your floatation device, active your ELT and survive hypothermia until you're fished out of the waters? How often does one get to practice that?

Okay. How much clearer can I make it? When it comes to defending a nation, sometimes there are things that the military just "has to do". Things like flying a single engine fighter over the N. Atlantic, flying tight formations or refueling with the lights out, flying through a warzone and dodging anti-aircraft attack to complete the mission come to mind but I'm sure there are more.

Would you do those things if it wasn't to defend the nation? Probably not. I can't think of a good reason. Yes..."practice" or "training" counts as part of that "defending the nation" thing.

No doubt. I don't mean to imply that there are no "rules" in the literal sense for military. Just that, sometimes you have to do what you have to do when it comes to protecting the USA. Flying a 172 across the N. Atlantic is not incidental to protecting the nation.

In terms of the law, sometimes there are mission requirements that allow military aircraft to do things that aren't allowed in 14 CFR, but that is a Grand Canyon's worth of difference from "the rules get thrown out".
Yeah, I know it wasn't the greatest way to phrase it, but hopefully you know what I was referring to now.

That isn't what I meant though. I don't think there's a reason to fly a piston twin across the N. Atlantic either. Same with some turboprops and even jets.

-mini

For what its worth, I've personally seen people freeze to death in that kind of water, in the summer. Unless you've got a survival suit and a raft you've got no chance.

Regardless of the type of aircraft two trained pilots are generally better than one, especially in abnormal and emergency situations.

Remember, just because the FAA allows something doesn't mean it's safe.

Back