Transitioning from military, aspiring pilot.

Andrew_Neal

Came across this forum today and spent an hour or two reading a lot of great information - but nothing specifically about what I'm wondering. I wanted to ask current/previous pilots of the commercial and/or private sector about what it takes to get a good footing in the aviation industry as a pilot.

A little about myself. I'm 22, been in the Marines (enlisted side) on active duty for about 4 years now. 1 year left. I'm married with 2 children and 1 on the way. I work as an avionics tech on Bell H-1's. I'm going to be TRYING to obtain my FCC and A&P before I EAS next year. I'm also in school full-time for a B.S. in Computer Science/Software Engineering as a freshman. I'm from Atlanta currently living in NC.

Essentially, my end goal is to become a pilot for the private or commercial sector. I enjoy aviation as a whole but the maintenance side is too blue-collar for the work-life balance I'm trying to work towards. Although; I wouldn't mind doing it in the civilian sector until I finish my degree and are able to open up more options. I have not used my GI Bill and have every intention of using it for flight school, since federal & state grants is covering the majority of my school expenses. I also have the intent of joining the Air National Guard next year following my EAS in order to maintain health insurance benefits for my family, and to stay involved in military aviation while I work full time and finish my degree.

I have a lot of thoughts, ideas and opportunities running through my mind and a hard time adding them up in an order that will best set me up for a career as a pilot. The biggest challenge is reaching all of these goals while still providing for the family via full-time work. Just looking for some friendly advice from current pilots who may or may not have had similar situations or have any advice to offer.

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated!

Good luck Andrew, I think you'll find many threads in this forum to be helpful as well as the people themselves via networking. You seem to be in one of the best positions possible to start with the GI Bill, etc. It may be tough to balance everything with full time school, flying, and providing for the family... but it'll be worth it. The only thing I would say is be careful about what you allocate your flying money on. Keep asking yourself if the juice is worth the squeeze - tons of places will gladly take your money with little real value given. The first years of aviation employment are often surprisingly low income, so you'll have to be prepared for that. You may consider applying for a pilot slot in the Air National Guard once your degree is finished. Again, good luck!

Good luck Andrew, I think you'll find many threads in this forum to be helpful as well as the people themselves via networking. You seem to be in one of the best positions possible to start with the GI Bill, etc. It may be tough to balance everything with full time school, flying, and providing for the family... but it'll be worth it. The only thing I would say is be careful about what you allocate your flying money on. Keep asking yourself if the juice is worth the squeeze - tons of places will gladly take your money with little real value given. The first years of aviation employment are often surprisingly low income, so you'll have to be prepared for that. You may consider applying for a pilot slot in the Air National Guard once your degree is finished. Again, good luck!

Thanks Ryan, I feel very fortunate to have the opportunity to go through a lot of flight school on the GI Bill. Unfortunately I will have to front the capital for my PPL, but it's worth it considering what I'll be gaining following it's completion. I've found a lot of flight schools/pipelines/academies that seem reputable and have great placement percentages with airlines are often full time - so that presents an issue in finding a flight school that is all of those things, meets the VA criteria for the GI Bill, and also allows part time attendance - since I'll be working full time. I will definitely be switching over to the officer side of the Air National Guard as soon as my degree is complete or shortly before - it's much easier to do in the guard vs the Marine Corps and will hopefully allow me to rack up enough PIC hours to gain a position somewhere making a decent living.

Last edited:
OP: you're trying to play several different balls at once. Good that you have a plan before you EAS/ETS but, you need a better vector than whatever you are getting right now. If you'd like, PM me and I'll give you a call either DSN or comm.

For what it's worth, starting salaries for software engineers are $90K+

I know quite a few folks who code during the day and flight instruct on the side to stay sane...

I am one of them that does CS during the day, and there is plenty of flying on the weekends instructing.

You can pick up CS work on the side even with an airline gig. Even part time, it will pay more than the airline job for many years.

Since you ultimately need the degree anyway, if you have the aptitude, I would finish the CS degree, and fly on the side. No reason you can't get to CFI part time in college on your own dime.

OP: you're trying to play several different balls at once. Good that you have a plan before you EAS/ETS but, you need a better vector than whatever you are getting right now. If you'd like, PM me and I'll give you a call either DSN or comm.

Funny you say that - it's not the first time I've been accused of trying to accomplish too many things at once. I've been warned that it can lead to nothing getting accomplished. I would love a more methodical angle of attack, I'm just very conflicted as to how to put it all in order in a manner that allows me to continue to provide for the family. PM sent.

For what it's worth, starting salaries for software engineers are $90K+

I know quite a few folks who code during the day and flight instruct on the side to stay sane...

I've met several, now that you mention it. They fly part time at Delta and do freelance software architecture. I would absolutely love a scenario like that; thing is I would have to get a full-time gig doing avionics or something until I finish out my degree and can land that sort of entry level position in the CS field, seeing as I'm only sitting at about 20 credits or so and would need to have an income in the mean time. Fortunately I've found a decent university (that isn't Phoenix or Devry) that allows you to maintain full time status by doing two 8-week sessions taking 2 classes per session. Park University, they have an extended campus where I'm stationed. It makes the whole active-duty and full-time school thing much easier.

I am one of them that does CS during the day, and there is plenty of flying on the weekends instructing.

You can pick up CS work on the side even with an airline gig. Even part time, it will pay more than the airline job for many years.

Since you ultimately need the degree anyway, if you have the aptitude, I would finish the CS degree, and fly on the side. No reason you can't get to CFI part time in college on your own dime.

The degree is definitely a priority. I was going to get my PPL part time, probably flying on evenings/afternoons that I don't go to class after work.

After a lot of thought and discussion with some of you on this forum, I think I may have a revised rough-draft of a plan of how I'm going to accomplish my goals.

Trying to juggle work, flight school and my bachelors degree all at the same time is obviously not going to be healthy. Following my EAS I can pick up a job doing avionics. I can do that until I finish my degree. (by the way, reviewed my transcripts, I'm considered a sophomore and not a freshman) After my degree is complete I'm considering trying to get a pilot spot in the Air National Guard to put me through flight school, since from what I hear - the FAA will allow you to take written tests to gain your civilian ratings.

Hopefully from that point it's just a matter of building hours.. I can supplement my income by doing CS work when I'm not flying. I hear this works out well for many people.

One thing I'm not certain about is which way would really be faster to the airlines? The ANG route or just using my GI bill for flight school after I finish my undergrad? I also don't know at what points during a ANG piloting career that you are eligible to apply to take the written FAA tests for civilian ratings, so that I'd be able to get a civilian job flying for regionals or cooperate to build multi-engine hours over the years. Any past/present military flyers have any knowledge on this?

Thanks for the input everyone.

I also don't know at what points during a ANG piloting career that you are eligible to apply to take the written FAA tests for civilian ratings, so that I'd be able to get a civilian job flying for regionals or cooperate to build multi-engine hours over the years. Any past/present military flyers have any knowledge on this?

You can get a Mil Comp commercial at the back end of pilot training. Something else to factor in: quite a few Guard units want guys to be full-timers for some set period following pilot training and aircraft specific training.

I'll tell ya this: I now manage a Cyber Security contract for the AF (after 10 years of flying)...and I can't keep guys on it even though pay for a couple of years of experience is six-figures. The contractor's employees keep getting stolen by the banking industry. Keep that in mind when you weigh studying airplanes vs. IT systems.

You can get a Mil Comp commercial at the back end of pilot training. Something else to factor in: quite a few Guard units want guys to be full-timers for some set period following pilot training and aircraft specific training.

I'll tell ya this: I now manage a Cyber Security contract for the AF (after 10 years of flying)...and I can't keep guys on it even though pay for a couple of years of experience is six-figures. The contractor's employees keep getting stolen by the banking industry. Keep that in mind when you weigh studying airplanes vs. IT systems.

Wouldn't mind being full time in the guard for a while following UPT. I've enjoyed my time on active duty so far, and if I can do it for 5 years as an enlisted Marine.. I can only imagine it would be even better on the Air Force/ANG side of the house.

..and essentially, your saying my undergraduate studies in computer science will be an excellent side job or backup plan. Right?

Everything written so far has been good advice.
1. Do the "shotgun" with the Guard/Reserves. With commercial fixed wing (FW), as your final goal (it seems), concentrate in Air Force but also consider Army. With the Army you will have to go rotary wing (RW), but FW may be available down the road. WO pilot positions do not require a college degree.
2. Most Guard units will probably take you on as a CE/mechanic which gives you a foot in the door for a pilot slot.
3. Work on civilian flight training as well. If the Guard/Resece slot comes along great. But don't just wait for it. Keep moving.
4. Airlines do not have part time pilot positions. Depending on your seniority and the contract, however, you can essentially be a part time pilot. For example my airline's bidding system lets me get a schedule working about 15 days/month (usually less). I put all my trips in "open time" where other pilots can pick them up then fly what is left- about 8-12 days/month for less pay, of course.
5. Most airlines are friendly toward reserve/guard pilots though a few are not (though they keep it quiet). Basically what this means is that if you have orders you can take off indefinitely and build seniority while you are gone.
Good luck.

Back