Transfers?

Purepower

First of all this site is great, I am new to air traffic control and this site has answered so many questions about the whole career. Its also very cool to see the same people posting about different questions, you guys really know what you are doing. My question is after you get picked up at a facility and have been there for a year or two what is the availability to move to another state or another location? My finance is going to have to move around for her career prob for the next 5-7 yrs. Would I be able to relocate? Would i lose senority when I did that? I searched the forums couldnt find my answer sorry if this has already been beaten to death. Id really appriciate your help. Thanks

From what I have learned, transferring depends on if your facility is willing to let you transfer or not. You might not have any problems at one center getting the transfer but at the next no way. Also I am not sure if there is a standard for how long you have to stay at a facility after you transfer there. I have heard that after you finish training usually the facility wants to keep you for at least 2 years.

First of all this site is great, I am new to air traffic control and this site has answered so many questions about the whole career. Its also very cool to see the same people posting about different questions, you guys really know what you are doing. My question is after you get picked up at a facility and have been there for a year or two what is the availability to move to another state or another location? My finance is going to have to move around for her career prob for the next 5-7 yrs. Would I be able to relocate? Would i lose senority when I did that? I searched the forums couldnt find my answer sorry if this has already been beaten to death. Id really appriciate your help. Thanks

Once you are at your facility you normally have to stay for one year after you are checked out, but do not tell your trainers you are planning on moving around, most places don't want to train you just for you to leave. However if your finance needs to move while you are in training, it is possible to transfer to another facility via ERR (Employee Relocation Request) but only if there is a facility that is no more than 3 level higher than your current facility and it normally (from what I have been told) has to be within the same option of what you are in, so for your sake, I hope you got selected for terminal.

A guy from the FAA who talked to our basics class today said he has transferred to ten different facilities throughout his career. I'm not saying this is a good idea for everyone, but I think it puts the possibility of a future transfer in perspective.

Disclaimer to FAA people who might be reading this: I plan on staying at KC center for about thirty years.

Thanks for the info, its nice to know that there can be an option. Spending a few years at a place would be fine as long as I might have the opportinity to relocate. Just out of curiosity why would it be better to be selected for terminal in this case verses anything else? Thanks again

There are just so many terminal facilities, compared to the centers.

The centers are bigger and employ hundreds of controllers, but are only located here and there. Terminals are much smaller by comparison, but are spread out all over the place.

Thanks for the info, its nice to know that there can be an option. Spending a few years at a place would be fine as long as I might have the opportinity to relocate.

Let's put it this way -- don't plan on a transfer, at least not until you're in your facility, know their needs, know your boss, know the needs and capacity of where you're going, and all the other things that you aren't aware of at the moment. When it comes to relocation because of a spouse's employment, the FAA has a spotty record, according to other controllers I've heard from.

Also, keep in mind that if you have to have that transfer a few years down the road, you'll have to avoid the places that have the most critical need (or just don't let their people go elsewhere, like N90). If you're at a facility that's hurting for controllers or is difficult to staff, they'll be less inclined to let you go.

I remember hearing that if you get a promotion that they can not prevent your transfering. However if you are making a lateral move it can be more difficult because they can say yes or no at that point.

Back