Transferring Facilities?

Is it possible however to go from an 8 or a 9 to a 12 or would the highest be 10 or 11 respectively? I was hoping to start at a slower tower and possibly progress to a higher facility in the same area but they are all 12s.

I went from an ATC-8 (SFB ATCT) to an ATC-12 (ATL). The rules have changed many, many times while I have been in the FAA. Right now that's totally acceptable.

I went from an ATC-8 (SFB ATCT) to an ATC-12 (ATL). The rules have changed many, many times while I have been in the FAA. Right now that's totally acceptable.

How long did you have to work there before they let you do this? Was it a difficult or lengthy process?

I was at SFB for 5 years before gping to ATL, however my ATM (At the time) would have let me go after a year of CPC as we were well staffed. And of course, I had been an FAA controller at several facilities for 19 years before getting selected at ATL.
And no, as for the paperwork it was simple. From the day I submitted until I was selected was about 4 months, then 2 months later I was moving.

Does anyone know if it is possible to transfer from an ARTCC to TRACON position easily or is it nearly impossible? I am thrilled to be going to an ARTCC but there are more facilities that are TRACON's and I might want to live somewhere new in 5-10 years. Would I only be able to switch to another ARTCC? I figure neither one of them look at planes and they both use radar so it would just be learning the airspace and pace of work wouldn't it?

Getting out of a Center is very, very hard. I have known only a handful of people in my 23 years with the FAA that have actually "gotten out," but it is possible.

A lot of centers are critically staffed...

there aren't many people in the FAA that are in towers or TRACONs that want to go to centers...so that doesn't allow the people that are currently at centers people to replace them when they leave to go to a tower or TRACON.

I've known eight people that were at centers and got out...this is how they did it.

1 person was there for 18 years...bid on a sup job and got selected.

5 people washed out of the center...they said it was because they didn't like the mentality...it could have been they couldn't make it....but who knows.

1 person put in for a hardship and it got approved.

1 person died due to brain cancer.

Back