Transfer

willthom

I just completed the PEPC in Memphis, and I found out I would be assigned to that facility even though it was not my geographical preference. I have been living in Texas now for about 5 years and I would like to stay here. If I'm ultimately selected is there anything I can do about this?

It seems the general consensus here is that you're pretty limited in transferring until you check out. It also seems fairly common that people will get offers from facilities not on their geographic prefs, after all, we will be the ones working for them - not the other way around. I'm going to go ahead and state the obvious, if you don't want the position you can always decline.

I appreciate the input, but I have every intention of accepting the offer and following through with the training requirements if I am ultimately selected. I was told by the guy who interviewed me that once I become a fully certified Controller there is a strong possibility that I could be transferred if requested.

I appreciate the input, but I have every intention of accepting the offer and following through with the training requirements if I am ultimately selected. I was told by the guy who interviewed me that once I become a fully certified Controller there is a strong possibility that I could be transferred if requested.

Ya I think you'll be fine once you check out. So where are you headed? Best of luck.

I just completed the PEPC in Memphis, and I found out I would be assigned to that facility even though it was not my geographical preference. I have been living in Texas now for about 5 years and I would like to stay here. If I'm ultimately selected is there anything I can do about this?

Talk to your HR person as soon as possible. errr, well.... unless your HR person is "Rene", who is completely unfriendly and worthless.

Anyway, people *have* successfully gotten their locations changed prior to OKC. I'm working on it myself right now.

You can try to change before OKC, which will save you some headaches. But just know that you likely won't be allowed to transfer until ~4-5 years after you make CPC. They want you to at least earn your keep before letting you go. Things may change, but i've heard that 4-5 years is pretty standard.

center puke eh? best thing you can do is talk to hr and ask them the best thing...if youve already gone to your pepc and signed the tol then it might be a little tougher to switch. also, you can use the search function on the forum...believe it or not, you arent the first person to ask this question, so you might be able to find some info from others experiences

You can try to change before OKC, which will save you some headaches. But just know that you likely won't be allowed to transfer until ~4-5 years after you make CPC. They want you to at least earn your keep before letting you go. Things may change, but i've heard that 4-5 years is pretty standard.

You may be right with the 4-5 years but I just wanted to throw out there that when I spoke to HR at the PEPC she said that once you make CPC you are free to request a transfer anywhere. Of course if you want to make more money, in my case I am starting at a level 7, you would have to transfer up. That pretty much goes without saying. My thoughts are to give it some time at your first facility and make sure you really have it under your belt. I plan on staying there for a few years before asking to transfer to the East coast somewhere. Just my .02!!!

Once you do make CPC...yes, you are free to transfer to another location. Just one catch: The manager of the factiliy you work at has to be willing to let you go, and the new facility you want has to have room for you. I have been told it could take anywhere from a few months, to a few years for the process.

I was told by ZDV that once you make CPC, dont expect a transfer granted the next day. After all the time and money invested in your training, they will be wanting a return on their investment, at least for a few years.

Something to keep in mind...

Once you do make CPC...yes, you are free to transfer to another location. Just one catch: The manager of the factiliy you work at has to be willing to let you go, and the new facility you want has to have room for you. I have been told it could take anywhere from a few months, to a few years for the process.

I was told by ZDV that once you make CPC, dont expect a transfer granted the next day. After all the time and money invested in your training, they will be wanting a return on their investment, at least for a few years.

Something to keep in mind...

I completely agree!!!

Back