Training suggestions

whamo

I have 560hrs total time, SEL commercial, instrument rated. Roughly half of that time is tail wheel and I have a private glider add on. I haven't flown in 10 years and haven't done any instrument work in 15. I'm 51 years old and I work 3 weeks on/off. Like most pilots I longed to fly for a living but it never seemed to be realistic while raising a family. Now the kids are gone and I'm antsy to get back in the air. Obviously I need to become current and get an IPP check. I'm also interested in pursuing a multi rating with instrument. What would be the most efficient pathway to this end? I have the funds available to jump in with both feet. Additionally I'm considering traveling to a location with better weather so I can fly as often as possible during my 3 week r&r, so flight school suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Welcome back. There are some pretty good items out there by places like AOPA that are geared specifically toward "rusty pilots." Where are you located? The biggest changes you may see are the proliferation of RNAV approaches and technology in the cockpit (both behind the glass and on the lap). I think the most efficient way to get your back in the saddle training done is to get 1-on-1 with a flight instructor who will tailor a syllabus which includes your commercial multi rating. Having to ride with a DPE at the culmination of your refresh is will keep you from phoning it in.

Get current in SEL and start applying for a job somewhere, since you already have commercial and 560 hrs. This way you can at least start getting paid to fly right away, while you look to do your multi and such. Sounds like there are places out there for banner towing (since you have so much tail-wheel time), or Aerial pictomerty, or even jump pilot positions and such, depending on where you live.

Get current in SEL and start applying for a job somewhere, since you already have commercial and 560 hrs. This way you can at least start getting paid to fly right away, while you look to do your multi and such. Sounds like there are places out there for banner towing (since you have so much tail-wheel time), or Aerial pictomerty, or even jump pilot positions and such, depending on where you live.
I'm concerned about my lack of recent fight experience, I may have a line on something I can do during my three weeks off but multi rating is required, otherwise I'd probably be pursuing the CFI first.

Any interest in being a CFI? The studying for that will pretty much cover getting you current, and lots more options for gigs that way. Plus you seem to have the time.

Any interest in being a CFI? The studying for that will pretty much cover getting you current, and lots more options for gigs that way. Plus you seem to have the time.
CFI is definitely on my agenda, but the multi add on sounds so much more fun.

I have 560hrs total time, SEL commercial, instrument rated. Roughly half of that time is tail wheel and I have a private glider add on. I haven't flown in 10 years and haven't done any instrument work in 15. I'm 51 years old and I work 3 weeks on/off. Like most pilots I longed to fly for a living but it never seemed to be realistic while raising a family. Now the kids are gone and I'm antsy to get back in the air. Obviously I need to become current and get an IPP check. I'm also interested in pursuing a multi rating with instrument. What would be the most efficient pathway to this end? I have the funds available to jump in with both feet. Additionally I'm considering traveling to a location with better weather so I can fly as often as possible during my 3 week r&r, so flight school suggestions would be appreciated.
Embry Riddle in Prescott?

Back