Training for Regional

DakotaBlue

If you want to move this feel free....i was wondering if the fellas who have gone through regional new hire training would be willing to share their knowledge with a few of us...primary questions are living arrangements while in training, length of training, and basic material in the training...thanks fellas

I got hired at Skywest in the summer of 1999. Like many of the regionals at the time, Skywest did not pay us for being there or provide housing. It was all up to us. Two of my friends from my previous job were in the same new-hire class so we split the cost of an efficiency short-term rental apartment in the same complex with about half of our classmates. Today the company provides a hotel room for new-hires and pays them a salary based on 60 hour/month at the new hire pay rate ($19.00 I think).

Class is held at the Salt Lake maintenance hangar/training facility. We arrived to find long tables with a stack of books behind personalized name tags and “place settings.” The books included the Flight Operations Manual (FOM), Brasilia systems manuals, a cockpit poster, Brasilia Quick Reference Handbook, a notepad, and a handful of pens and highlighters. A welcome letter with instructor’s names and a syllabus was on top.

The first couple weeks were Basic Indoc. We learned about the operations, Part 121 regs, emergency equipment, and the FOM. Our time outside class was spent reading chapter after chapter of the FOM and beginning to learn our cockpit flows and checklists.

The next few weeks was spent learning the aircraft systems. Two by two we split into our sim pairs (we chose our own sim partners). Outside class we met with a line pilot who would guide us through our “static” syllabus- learning the flows and checklists; sometimes in the actual airplane, sometime sitting in front of a wood or cardboard mock-up.

A couple tests were given during the time. 70% was passing. No pass, no continue!

When I went through, most everything was on overhead transparencies, but now they’ve moved to PowerPoint presentations. While there is a lot of material to cover, the atmosphere was very relaxed with plenty of coffee breaks and time to stretch your legs. Class would usually start around 8am and be done 4:30-5pm with an hour lunch.

Then came Sim training. At the time the Brasilia sim was in SLC. Now it’s in Long Beach, CA. If I remember correctly it was 5 or 6 sessions where we learned everything from how to operate the autopilot and flight control panel to flying a single-engine NDB to minimums. After sim we climb in the actual airplane for some actual approaches and landings.

All in all, a great experience. The company wants to see you pass, so there are no tricks to wash you out or intimidate you.

Thanks for sharing that information. I saw in your profile that you are now a CRJ Captain. How long did that take you once hired?

Exactly 3 years. I had the seniority to upgrade in the Brasilia in about 18 months. I let it go by in hopes of upgrading in Portland (which I never got to do!). I looked into my crystal ball (pre-9/11) and saw it was going to take a very long time to hold PDX as captain. Instead I went to the right seat of the RJ and was locked there for 12 months. I was one of the last to upgrade from my initial new hire class.

There were a couple guys in my new hire class who did 12 months in the right seat of the Brasilia, 12 months in the right seat of the RJ then upgraded to captain in the RJ. TWO years from new hire to RJ captain. Of course they've spent the last two.5 years on reserve!

Just to update, I have gone through a little more recent than Chris. For me it was 3 weeks (usually 3 1/2, holidays) of ground evenly divided into indoc and systems. You need an 80 percent or better on the indoc and systems test to stay. There is 3 days of FTD in Fresno, 5 days of sim in Long Beach, and 1 night for an aircraft checkride (somewhere in the system) in the wee hours of the morning. Pay was 65 hours a month, but they no longer are pay new hires till they pass their aircraft checkride (which bites). Though, they still do put you up in hotels during all of training. Hope that helps, good luck.

What is the most junior bases at Skywest? It's my goal to someday work for them and I would love to stay in Utah, Is SLC a more senior base?

What aircraft are most of the new hires getting, RJ or Brasilia?

Thanks cricket for updating my info! It's been a while since I went through the new hire hullabalu!

The junior bases seem to shift a lot but Fresno and SLC always seem to be getting new hires. Houston has been the junior base in the EMB. Not too sure about the RJ, but it seems SLC is real easy to get (maybe because it's the largest?).

Thanks Chris, hopefully I'll be doing an internship there this Fall, so I can check it out myself
smile.gif

Here's a link to detailed post on my sim training for the Dojet.

Sim Training

I lived at a crashpad during my training. You can typically find crashpad ads in the parking lot bus stops or crew room bulletin boards.

Back