Traffic watch in the Bay Area

ahsmatt7

Soooo...I have my first flight as traffic watch out of Livermore for the Bay Area tomorrow from 1-4pm. I'm an instructor and I tell you what....I'm nervous as hell. That being said, if any of you are on NORCAL app tomorrow, listen for me.

Nervous about the controllers or the job? Controllers are chill as hell out here, they approve almost everything I ever ask for.

Nervous about the controllers or the job? Controllers are chill as hell out here, they approve almost everything I ever ask for.
Hah yeah at least with traffic watch they probably know pretty much exactly where you're going to be and when. Not this "WHO are you and you wanna do WHAT for how long?!?"

They're super chill in nor cal. I worked the SFO bravo from 2-10000 feet for days and they were accommodating.

Everything went well! Very nice controllers!!! Thanks for the support everyone. Hacker15e, I remember following that thread
Yeah they're really cool. I only ever heard a guy get the number for busting a TFR.

"Cessna 123 you're headed right into a TFR".
"Ahhhhh Cessna 123 yeah my son is playing down there I'm just gonna get a quick pic of Standford Stadium"
"Cessna 123 head direct Crystal Springs"
"Ahhhhh Cessna 123 yeah almost done here and then I'll go direct Crystal Springs"
".....Cessna 123 I need you to take down a number...."

Just don't be that guy and you'll be fine.

For those interested in this operation, specifically JordanD. I highly Recommend it. The owner takes really good care of the pilots and airplanes. Everything is too notch.

Doesn't sound that cool to me. Pilot is squawking, talking and not loitering. Nothing worth a number.

Might just be a cultural thing though. Airplane magnet monument ™ is on our final. It gets to the point where a pilot passing through wants to know if they can get a good picture of airplane magnet monument ™ from 10,000 feet AGL. "No, but I can get you in close if you have some reserves for a descent and slight vector off course." Military training flights, GA, Mainline 121 all love airplane magnet monument ™. We have three stadiums within TFR distance to airplane magnet monument ™. I've never had an issue. My only question is which side of the plane is the best camera on for the best photos?

For those interested in this operation, specifically JordanD. I highly Recommend it. The owner takes really good care of the pilots and airplanes. Everything is too notch.
I thought about it but the commute 5 days a week from the city would have been hell for me. Glad to hear that it's a decent operation though.

This reminds me. We need to get this cursed SFO meet and greet to finally happen. @ChasenSFO

SFO M&G happened. Me and @scooter2525 went to In n Out back in his Amflight days. It was a fantastic turn out between the two of us.

Doesn't sound that cool to me. Pilot is squawking, talking and not loitering. Nothing worth a number.

Might just be a cultural thing though. Airplane magnet monument ™ is on our final. It gets to the point where a pilot passing through wants to know if they can get a good picture of airplane magnet monument ™ from 10,000 feet AGL. "No, but I can get you in close if you have some reserves for a descent and slight vector off course." Military training flights, GA, Mainline 121 all love airplane magnet monument ™. We have three stadiums within TFR distance to airplane magnet monument ™. I've never had an issue. My only question is which side of the plane is the best camera on for the best photos?
There was a football game going on at Stanford Stadium with a TFR up centered around the stadium, he flew right into the TFR, over the stadium, and only then did he comply with ATC's requested turn which was no doubt issued to keep him from entering said TFR. And he did this knowingly(at least he knew for sure when ATC told him he was about to fly into one). I was with my primary instructor when we heard it and during a ground school class a few weeks later he went over the incident after finding out some details about it. I didn't know if ATC had any choice but to report something like that, assumed they had to. Either way, even as a student pilot with maybe 10 hours at the time, I didn't feel bad for him. That's just dumb.

I thought about it but the commute 5 days a week from the city would have been hell for me. Glad to hear that it's a decent operation though.

This reminds me. We need to get this cursed SFO meet and greet to finally happen. @ChasenSFO
make your availability as you wish. Two days a week? Whatsever you like. It's my second job so it's easy to make it work.

Oh yeah, I forgot to text you back the other day. You still around?

Back