Traffic through NY/Long Island

Bernoulli Fan

Controller
Hello all. I'm attending the AT-SAT in Holtsville, NY, January 9th, driving down from Boston. I'm deciding between taking the New London-Orient Point ferry, taking the Bridgeport-Port Jefferson ferry, and driving all the way down I-95 and "around the horn," so to speak.

I can save quite a bit of money driving all the way, so I'm asking for knowledge of Thursday night traffic through Stamford (8:30 pm), Mount Vernon (9 pm), and on the Long Island Expressway (9:30 pm).

Any input appreciated, and good luck to everyone testing.

The traffic is incredibly bad into Holtsville. I had to drive up from Philly. Connecticut traffic along 95 is the worst on the east coast. I get a kick out of people who rant about the traffic in their cities. They have never driven on 95 in Connecticut. If you take the ferry, take it from New London. If you drive, pick up the Merritt Parkway in New Haven (it runs parallel to 95). Take that then to 87 in the Bronx and that will then connect you with the LIE. I don't envy your drive IN THE LEAST. If I were you I would put up the coin and take the ferry. Good luck on the test. If you do drive-make sure there isn't any Red Sox stuff on your car as you drive through the north Bronx. That could be dangerous.

Hello. I have family in NH so I routinely make the trip from Long Island. If you want to avoid the Ferry, take the Merrit. I try to avoid 95 as much as possible, to twisty, slow and ugly. When time permits I like to take the new london ferry to orient point. Its a nice leisurely ride across the sound, and a scenic ride through wine country for about another 45-60min to Holtsville. The hotel where the testing takes place is right off the Long Island expressway. And if memory serves is nice enough.

As for time it may be a wash.

Good luck!

-Dan

Considering his screen name....I suppose the picture represents the Bernoulli principle. You know, High Velocity=Low Pressure, Low Velocity=High Pressure. Thus Pressure moves from High to Low, where as, airfoils create high velocity on the superior portion of the wing and low velocity on the inferior portion.....thus creating lift.....making everyone squeeze their sphincters at Vr when rolling down runways at denver airport. WEEEEEEEEE!

UTAMAV:bandit:

Oh how terribly nerdy

Late at night around 8 or 9 traffic is not bad at all in NYC and Long Island. After 9 pm they really begin to clear up and are quick moving. I am unsure of Conneticut traffic but would take everyones else's word for it. If you are coming down the night before you shouldn't have an issue even if you hit a bit of traffic through CT

Late at night around 8 or 9 traffic is not bad at all in NYC and Long Island. After 9 pm they really begin to clear up and are quick moving. I am unsure of Conneticut traffic but would take everyones else's word for it. If you are coming down the night before you shouldn't have an issue even if you hit a bit of traffic through CT

yeah, listen to LISRAREF. we actually live here on LI. if your leavin at night on thursday you will be fine. there is little to no traffic around here at night. if you do take a ferry the Bridgetown-Port Jeff ferry is pretty close to the testing site. maybe a 20 minute drive at night. AT MOST. the Orient Point Ferry is pretty far from everything (because its at the VERY end of the island), but you should hit much traffic heading to the site, and it will probably only take you like an hour and a half at most. any other questions you can PM me if you want. good luck on the test.

Save your car from CT potholes and rent a plane from Norwood Memorial or Beverly Airport. Easiest VFR flying to ISP and the Marriot hotel offers free shuttle to and from MacAurthur ISP.

BVY-HFD-ISP over BDL class C and call up the Long Island sound reporting on Bridgeport FSS.

Watch out for the SWA 737s in the pattern at ISP- when the visuals are in effect they like to enter at 2.5 downwind at 2500 and about 170. Parking overnight at the FBOs is free with Avgas.

I did the drive in July from Enfield, CT. On the way there, I avoided the ferry and simply drove all the way around. It worked out really well. First thing I'd recommend, take route 15 (Merit Parkway) instead of I95. There is like no traffic, and you drive at the same speed as I95. Route 15 pretty much run parallel to I95.
You wont lose any time at all, and even possibly gain some with all the construction and nonsense on the CT side of I95. And I believe you cut down on some tolls using route 15. Route 15 runs either right into, or very close to I695 which will link you right up with I495 (Long Island Expressway). From that point, it's like a 20 minute drive or so into Holtsville.

On the way back we took the Ferry from Port Jefferson. I wouldn't recommend taking the Orient Point ferry. It's way out of the way. The ferry takes much more time and is kind of a hassle. However, I'd definitely recommend it on the way home, simply because the area around there is very cool, with some quick, nice places to eat while you wait. Real homey feel.

So to answer your question... the traffic through stamford, stratford, and on the Expressway, is really not that bad at that time. Just bring a few dollars for the bridge tolls. I think they total around $10.

Good luck.

I did the drive in July from Enfield, CT. On the way there, I avoided the ferry and simply drove all the way around. It worked out really well. First thing I'd recommend, take route 15 (Merit Parkway) instead of I95. There is like no traffic, and you drive at the same speed as I95. Route 15 pretty much run parallel to I95.
You wont lose any time at all, and even possibly gain some with all the construction and nonsense on the CT side of I95. And I believe you cut down on some tolls using route 15. Route 15 runs either right into, or very close to I695 which will link you right up with I495 (Long Island Expressway). From that point, it's like a 20 minute drive or so into Holtsville.

On the way back we took the Ferry from Port Jefferson. I wouldn't recommend taking the Orient Point ferry. It's way out of the way. The ferry takes much more time and is kind of a hassle. However, I'd definitely recommend it on the way home, simply because the area around there is very cool, with some quick, nice places to eat while you wait. Real homey feel.

So to answer your question... the traffic through stamford, stratford, and on the Expressway, is really not that bad at that time. Just bring a few dollars for the bridge tolls. I think they total around $10.

Good luck.

Well hell... walk then.

C172s at BVY at the main FBO go for around 110/ hr wet

BVY to ISP is about 50 min if you do it right wheels up to wheels down- and you can marvel at the ZBW / ZNY airspace.

If you drive, enjoy the 8% gas tax in CT

Considering his screen name....I suppose the picture represents the Bernoulli principle. You know, High Velocity=Low Pressure, Low Velocity=High Pressure. Thus Pressure moves from High to Low, where as, airfoils create high velocity on the superior portion of the wing and low velocity on the inferior portion.....thus creating lift.....making everyone squeeze their sphincters at Vr when rolling down runways at denver airport. WEEEEEEEEE!

Oh how terribly nerdy

WHAT?!?!? :drool: Please tell me you googled that and didn't just pick it from your brain!! And I pray you won't be in MY class in OKC (if I make it there).

Good luck.

20 minutes from the beginning of the Expressway to Holtsville??? you must have been doin somewhere around 200mph then. it will take you around 45 minutes....at least

WHAT?!?!? :drool: Please tell me you googled that and didn't just pick it from your brain!! And I pray you won't be in MY class in OKC (if I make it there).

Yeah unfortunately that came from my brain, I was a big physics nerd in college. Now, I take care of gunshot wounds and motorcycle wreck victims....go figure. Well, perhaps there is physics involved there. "Motorcycle A, traveling at 135km/h with a mass of 217kg will hit said highway divider, with density "f". Calculate the force of impact." Yeah, I think that works.

You and I, would have so much fun in OKC!!! HAHA!

Thanks for all the replies. Including the ones involving sphincters, motorcycle crashes, and explanations of Bernoulli's Principle.

Back