Traf. pattern at towered apt

In my experience when ATC asks for a report, it is the next checkpoint they expect you to reach. I.e "Report final approach course inbound" or "report final approach fix with the gear" or "report 5 mile initial". In other words, from your present position (in this case, not on DW, just somewhere in space headed towards the pattern) they expect you to proceed to wherever they asked for the report.

I was talking about "enter"....a directive statement; rather than "report"...a descriptive statement. Although at the field I'm at, they'll give "report left base" and expect you to fly a base entry......this may or may not be true of all fields.
I agree, when they tell you to enter the pattern somewhere those are directions and you need to comply.

You know there is a place here where they will tell you to report base on their initial call but still expect you to fly the 45 entry. There was also a dude in the tower who was a total jerk though and I don't consider that the norm.

Bottom line, if at all wondering what tower means, query them. Never hurts to ask.
Absolutely

Thanks for all the replies. So, it sounds like the next time I hear the tower say that then I should just ask what they mean since it could mean something differently at another airport. The first time I went to that airport they told me to report 2 mile base, but this time to my surprise, they just said report right base.

If they are telling you to report left base, that's where they expect you to enter the pattern. Generally, whatever they tell you to report will be about a mile from where you enter the pattern (2 mile base, 3 mile final are mostly what you'll hear)

If they wanted you to enter downwind, they would have said so. If you want the full pattern, ask.

Also, minimizing time that landing traffic is in the pattern interferes less with T&G aircraft in closed traffic. That's better for everyone.

Not always. I've been told to report a base leg when I was clearly in position for a downwind entry off the opposite end of the runway.

If they say "report" I interpret that as meaning they want me to enter the pattern normally depending on my position and report when I am turning onto a particular leg. Otherwise, they'd tell me to "enter" the pattern on that leg specifically. Thus far I've never had anyone at any tower bite my head off for interpreting their instructions that way. Of course if I'm unsure about what they want me to do, I ask.

In my experience, "report" right base means enter on a right base. If you're approaching a runway in such a manner as to simply enter a base leg, there's really no need to fly the whole pattern.

In my experience, "report" right base means enter on a right base. If you're approaching a runway in such a manner as to simply enter a base leg, there's really no need to fly the whole pattern.

:yeahthat:

I take it as they clear me TO the right base, so I will get there in the shortest manner possible. If they want you to fly downwind they will clear you to downwind. In other words I go directly to wherever they say, whether it's report or enter, that is where they want you. If they clear you that far out then it probably isn't busy enough to matter anyways;).

Back