tradition is alive, sweeeeeet!

Timbuff10

As some of you know, besides flying im into photography also.

Well the other day after I pushed my Frontier flight here at DEN, I noticed some fire trucks parked at a gate which isn't that uncommon as people seem to have heart attacks and stuff all the time. Anyway, these were parked a little different than normal. I grabbed my camera and figured I may see my first water cannon salute? As luck turned out, a UA 757 rolled up and the water began a spraying. It was really a nice thing to watch too. I can only hope that I am as lucky as that captain some day!

A great event but so sad at the same time... but hey, it looks like another spot opened up for someone!

water cannon salute picture click here

Just thought I would share,
Tim Samples

Great pic. Anyone know how that started? The cannon salutes that is.

I would imagine it started when someone turned on the water.....
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
would imagine it started when someone turned on the water.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Touche
laugh.gif

Great pic, Tim...

The Smoke-eaters at O'Hare came out and did that for my dad when he retired from United off the 777 in 2000. It was, in a word, moving.

Don't think it sad, though. Many of these guys, after some 30 years of doing it, are ready for something else. If anything, my dad misses the people a hell of alot more then the flying.

P.

i think the tradition started as a money saving venture. Considering how airliners are usually dirty and not washed that often i bet that is management's way of getting the planes cleaned.

Do it when someone retires!

haha just kidding

i use a digital Olympus C-700. its a 2 mega pixel but it has the 10X optical zoom which is the key. If you are looking at buying a digicam, and the guy trying to sell it to you even mentions the word digital zoom, immediately turn around.

my one tip, Optical Zoom rules, digital zoom drools!

Thanks.

I'll have a bunch more questions for you once I can actually afford one. Just kinda looking right now.

[ QUOTE ]
i use a digital Olympus C-700. its a 2 mega pixel but it has the 10X optical zoom which is the key. If you are looking at buying a digicam, and the guy trying to sell it to you even mentions the word digital zoom, immediately turn around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that makes sense. Every digital camera has infinite digital zoom. It is called "crop" in any editing program
smile.gif

Do you find you use the full zoom a lot shooting A/C? For most of my pictures (a lot around the house), I find myself wishing for more wide-angle. Can't even do that in photoshop
smile.gif

QP

Yeah when I shoot aircraft in action, (ie flying or movig fast) I find that I usually use the full 10X optical zoom which translates to about 380mm. Sometimes you can get away with a little less than that but not much. It all depends on how close you are and other variables.

The negative thing about my camera is that to get a high quality shot you really have to get the entire aircraft full frame. If you do any cropping in PS later on, you end up losing too much quality. In the end this makes me a better photographer though because I have to get the shot right from the beginning instead of altering it in photoshop.

I most likely will be looking to upgrade to a better camera though as I am starting to make $$ off of some of my pics. Flight International Magazine just paid me $100 for a picture I took a while back. And the bank that finances the airplanes for Frontier Airlines is getting a nice deal going with me for a few hundred bucks too. I hope it all works out!

Tim Samples

[ QUOTE ]
I most likely will be looking to upgrade to a better camera though as I am starting to make $$ off of some of my pics. Flight International Magazine just paid me $100 for a picture I took a while back. And the bank that finances the airplanes for Frontier Airlines is getting a nice deal going with me for a few hundred bucks too. I hope it all works out!

[/ QUOTE ]

Are these pics you are getting paid for on Airliners.net. If so, do you have a link?

And a while back, I posted a question about digital cameras. Well, I finally got one. Cannon Power Shot A70, 3.2 megapixels, and I love it. Paid $300 for it and two flash cards came with it (16mb and 32mb) I don't mind the digital zoom, but I'll agree with Tim, the optical zoom is much better than digital zoom. If I knew how to post pics on here, I would post some of them on here.

Yeah, from time to time when I check my E-mail, I get requests from people wanting to buy 8x10 prints of my pictures and publications wanting to use them. Most seem to fall through but some do pan out. I have actually sold quite a few to wives of pilots giving the pictures to their husbands last Christmas.

Anyway, here is the link to all my pictures on A.net

Tim Samples Aviation Photos

Doug, if you ever want to use any of my pictures on jetcareers to spice up the site, be my guest!

Tim Samples

Wow Tim! Those are some very impressive pictures. Did you pick this talent up on your own, or did you take photo courses?

Back