TRACON vs. ARTCC

NY ATC

Hey everyone whats going on. So I recently took my PEPC i believe everything went fine, they said they would contact me in 3-4 weeks with my FOL and academy dates. As you know I got hired at NY Center (ZNY) i recently spoke to someone that had gotten NY TRACON and wants to switch. So I have an option now switching out with someone to be at NY TRACON instead of ZNY, any insight? Both facilities are level 12...Please let me know it be greatly appreciated

Hey everyone whats going on. So I recently took my PEPC i believe everything went fine, they said they would contact me in 3-4 weeks with my FOL and academy dates. As you know I got hired at NY Center (ZNY) i recently spoke to someone that had gotten NY TRACON and wants to switch. So I have an option now switching out with someone to be at NY TRACON instead of ZNY, any insight? Both facilities are level 12...Please let me know it be greatly appreciated

IMHO... I'd stay at center.

if you were planning on moving around go with the tracon...generally speaking it is harder to transfer facilities if you are at a center vs going elsewhere at a tracon or tower...

I personally want to work at a center...but really thats just because it is the highest level facility around me. It is also out in the desert and not at a major airport..so I am thinking that would make for a more pleasant commute:)

My question is, who gave you the option to switch? Because it is my understanding(from when i was at PEPC and talked with the HR) that alot of thought goes into there selection of your spot, that it has to do with more than just where you want to go. When you went through PEPC you got your TOL for a specific location, and when you get your FOL it will be the same, I honestly do not think that you have a choice of "switching" spots with someone else.

I personally want to work at a center...but really thats just because it is the highest level facility around me. It is also out in the desert and not at a major airport..so I am thinking that would make for a more pleasant commute:)

Definitely want Center so I can actually see the planes. and in 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1...

Terminal is the way to go...the enroute guys are only there to talk to the airplanes while they are enroute :p

Isn't that like watching paint dry? The cool Tower/TRACON guys are at the gun range with FAA Logos as targets.

Am I right on with that one CJ?
It was more symbolic... puttin airplanes around and then whacking them into the sky.

Wouldn't working at a TRACON be more difficult/challenging than ARTCC? I would guess that since en-route has aircraft at constant altitudes (for much of the time at least), then there is more time to plan and sequence.

Whereas TRACON has many aircraft in a constricted airspace, descending and ascending within close proximity, varying speeds, varying weather, all mixed in with GA.

Wouldn't working at a TRACON be more difficult/challenging than ARTCC? I would guess that since en-route has aircraft at constant altitudes (for much of the time at least), then there is more time to plan and sequence.

Whereas TRACON has many aircraft in a constricted airspace, descending and ascending within close proximity, varying speeds, varying weather, all mixed in with GA.

I thought that originally, as well. But the enroute controller has to deal with ~100 shelves, frequencies, and LOAs in his area of specialty. He also has to deal with airplanes coming at him at 600mph and worry about things like thinking in Mach numbers and TAS at the same time. He also can't give an aircraft doing 600 knots over the ground a 360 because he'll likely make about a 40 mile radius circle before he finally gets around. It's more finesse. He also gets to play approach controller, doing ground service and working combined high/low sectors when things get "slower." it's just a bigger bag of tricks. oh, and there's always fun military stuff like CELNAV, flight breakups, air refueling routes, and ALTRAV crap :banghead:

that said, i still think TRACON is more fun. sequencing, shutting the door on center, and shoving planes down tower's throat are all pretty fun :laff: jk. but it's a lot more reactionary in nature, IMO. which is more my bag. i enjoy creative problem solving on the fly.

Back