Tour of 777 + Run in with TSA

youngflyer

I arrive at the airport and start preflighting the plane when my CFI comes out and tells us that his friend just called and told us that we can go on a test flight of a 777 and go on a tour of it. We takeoff and head over to Rome were the 777-200 is located. We did not get to go on the test flight due to the FAA deeming that the aircraft is not suitable for flight due to the fact that the emergency lighting was not functioning.. We got a great tour however... I had my first run in with the TSA on the ramp area. He stopped us and said that we needed to show him our badges. The Captain of the 777 told him that he was giving us a tour and that we were both pilots. He said I dont care and then we pulled out our pilot licenses (My student certificate) and he said not good enough but I will let it slide. He then proceeded to tell me to burn the film in my camera when I got home when I told him it was a digital camera. The captain told him that I was perfectly fine and he walked away muttering. Nonetheless, great tour!

Terrible, Terrible picture of me, but a cool picture nonetheless..

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing. :rawk:

Sorry to hear the tards over at TSA gave you problems. I would have told him I will burn my film after I'm finished burning him.

The TSA guy must be ex Air Force security. They seem to be big on the no pictures thing.

Great pics young flyer, what was 772 doing there? btw what Airline is it? From the tailview I thought it was a BA but,it has a Russian flag lol

Great pics young flyer, what was 772 doing there? btw what Airline is it? From the tailview I thought it was a BA but,it has a Russian flag lol

It does have a Russian flag but I don't think its Aeroflot's. They got rid of their 777 a while back. It would be interesting to know who operates this plane though.

Thanks for sharing the shots.

I remember many a trips up to Delta's TechOps and the Delta North complex as a kid. Always made my day to be able to walk around and inside the amazing machines that transport people. Very cool of your instructor to hook you guys up.

A few weeks ago I flew with a Captain who was a previous Engineer with Boeing. He talked at length about the numerous test flights he went on, sounded like a blast to put a machine like the 777 through it's paces, and even more interesting was his stories of 744 run throughs.

The TSA guy must be ex Air Force security. They seem to be big on the no pictures thing.

I would hope no one who was smart enough to do well on an ASVAB test to get into the Air Force, would lower themselves to the level of TSA nazi.

I've been wrong before of course.

I would hope no one who was smart enough to do well on an ASVAB test to get into the Air Force, would lower themselves to the level of TSA nazi.

I've been wrong before of course.

I do believe that the lowest scores you can possibly get on the ASVAB and still get in only qualify you for security forces.

Wow you got to hang in a Transaero 777:rawk: do you know why the plane was being test flown?

I did not know Transaero was getting a 777. We hang out with their pilots at UUDD (DME) all the time and they never mentioned it. Oh well. Good for them.

Thanks for the responses everybody! They are getting the 777 from some American airline according to the test pilot. It is extremely nice inside.

12423406.jpg

Looks like it's gonna be their second one

On what do you base this statement?

I can sort of second that of air force being sticklers for no picture taking because i had my share of run ins with them. For my 6+ years in the navy the only time the navy bitched about pictures was on the aircraft carrier doing flight operations, AF is bitching all the time even if you just wanna take a picture of some old beat up F-16 :) Well, officialy there should be no picture taking anywhere but....not everything is super sensitive top secret #### :)

I do believe that the lowest scores you can possibly get on the ASVAB and still get in only qualify you for security forces.

This is 100% correct.

When I left the service, the leadership was outsourcing "Security Forces" to civilian contractors.

Who knows, maybe one day we won't have to worry about Security Forces as an occupational choice for the Air Force. If you're that slow, the Army is available. ;)

Back