Total time question

i use the term to mean total aircraft time in all aircraft. Irrespective of all the qualifiers like PIC, instrument, etc, and definitely not including flight sim times.
Flight time, which is what most people do.

Flight time, which is what most people do.

I think people just use the loose term of total time, because like SteveCs pic of the Jepp logbook shows, they list it as total duration of flight. Or total time for short. Which is right next to the flight time columns.

No such thing as "Total Time". The FAA doesn't define the term. "Flight Time", and "Pilot Time" are defined. I have always assumed that when someone says "Total Time" they mean flight time, but who knows? maybe they mean "Pilot Time". But if you want to know what it means ask the person using the term, because the FAA doesn't define it.
Yea but, the insurance companies ask for Total Time.

From Steve's examply below. I'd say everything from Aircraft Category and Class goes to Total Time

1658080207039.png

How do you all calculate your total time from your logbook? When I've posed this question in the past (not here), I get a ton of different answers. So looking for a genral consensus. I currently add my airplane SEL and airplane MEL time together to get my total time. While others have told me that you add everything to get your total time. So in their book, in addition to Airplane SEL and MEL. It sounds like they're adding dual received, PIC, day/night and cross country et al. to come to their totals. I don't know if I exactly agree with that thinking.

And before anyone asks. Yes I actually do have my IR rating and all my other ratings and certs as well. Ask about a mf on the FAA registry. No I don't know how to use an ADF, NDB, RMI or an OBS style VOR. But willing to learn if taught. No, I'm not a child of the magenta line. And yes after all of that. I'm still a competent and safe pilot and able to navigate safely from place to place. With zero accidents and incidents on my record. That should just about cover it, all right? Right??? #triggered
I stand beside and look at airplanes. Then I log one hour for every ten minutes of looking. If somebody is daft enough to let me sit in a cockpit seat for 3 minutes, the factor is x20. What, that's not how FOs get hired anymore? ;)

Last edited:
Yea but, the insurance companies ask for Total Time.

From Steve's examply below. I'd say everything from Aircraft Category and Class goes to Total Time

View attachment 65917
Frank nailed it. If you want to respect all the technicalities alluded to in the various posts of this thread, do what @fholbert said. Else, add up Total PIC time, Total SIC time, and Total Student time. Still might not be perfect, but sure as shootin' good enough for a résumé or insurance form.

There's really not much to total time.
I would love to know the person that flies for 1.0 ASEL hours as a PIC and comes up with 2.0 hours total time. I mean the requirements are basically nothing now and people are trying to cut it further in half?

The more complex discussions come up when you are an SIC required by insurance in a single pilot type aircraft. Or the time building program some of us used to do in the Barons at Airnet. Building total time from the right seat of a baron to get to 135 mins. (getting paid, not paying like a 'streamer, eff those guys).

Frank nailed it. If you want to respect all the technicalities alluded to in the various posts of this thread, do what @fholbert said. Else, add up Total PIC time, Total SIC time, and Total Student time. Still might not be perfect, but sure as shootin' good enough for a résumé or insurance form.
It’s become clear to me, most on this form don’t own what they fly.

They are kinda like renters.

It’s become clear to me, most on this form don’t own what they fly.

They are kinda like renters.
Well, I haven't been around here long enough to hold an informed opinion. But at first blush, I say it's a combo platter serving up lots of jet drivers a few hours out of 172s and Seminoles in combo with a lot of crusty old-timers - some possessing great sagacity, others possessing mere sourness.

How do you add dual to total time?

Pretty sure I have 1.5 hr for SE time and then 1.5 in the “dual received” = Thats 1.5 hrs total time.

How are you guys saying add dual to make that 3 hrs total time? That’s double dipping.
I think they're saying, add up the single Total Flight Time column number for each flight you've done. Pretty sure no one is suggesting adding up any of the individual numbers in a row.

How do you all calculate your total time from your logbook? When I've posed this question in the past (not here), I get a ton of different answers. So looking for a genral consensus. I currently add my airplane SEL and airplane MEL time together to get my total time. While others have told me that you add everything to get your total time. So in their book, in addition to Airplane SEL and MEL. It sounds like they're adding dual received, PIC, day/night and cross country et al. to come to their totals. I don't know if I exactly agree with that thinking.

And before anyone asks. Yes I actually do have my IR rating and all my other ratings and certs as well. Ask about a mf on the FAA registry. No I don't know how to use an ADF, NDB, RMI or an OBS style VOR. But willing to learn if taught. No, I'm not a child of the magenta line. And yes after all of that. I'm still a competent and safe pilot and able to navigate safely from place to place. With zero accidents and incidents on my record. That should just about cover it, all right? Right??? #triggered
I'm not entirely sure I'm following along here.

Your first paragraph essentially asks, "how do I add up my flight time?" Your second paragraph more or less makes a statement regarding specific instrument procedures.

Is there a segue here that I'm missing?

Absolutely. I come from the time when they were common, many small airports only had them because they were cheap to have pre-GPS. Like riding a bike, you never forget them.
Speaking only for myself, I'm not sure I agree. I reckon I might still wobble my way down an NDB approach, but it sure as heck would not be pretty.

Back