Total time question

Maximilian_Jenius

Super User
How do you all calculate your total time from your logbook? When I've posed this question in the past (not here), I get a ton of different answers. So looking for a genral consensus. I currently add my airplane SEL and airplane MEL time together to get my total time. While others have told me that you add everything to get your total time. So in their book, in addition to Airplane SEL and MEL. It sounds like they're adding dual received, PIC, day/night and cross country et al. to come to their totals. I don't know if I exactly agree with that thinking.

And before anyone asks. Yes I actually do have my IR rating and all my other ratings and certs as well. Ask about a mf on the FAA registry. No I don't know how to use an ADF, NDB, RMI or an OBS style VOR. But willing to learn if taught. No, I'm not a child of the magenta line. And yes after all of that. I'm still a competent and safe pilot and able to navigate safely from place to place. With zero accidents and incidents on my record. That should just about cover it, all right? Right??? #triggered

Last edited:
Depends on your objective. AirlineApps count all dual received (even your instrument) as SIC, even though you may have been legal to log/act as PIC under 61.31 & 61.51.

I’ll second that LogTen tells me…. But in the before times, I would add up the column at the end of each line of my big green logbook per page then as a running total. I also kept track of ASEL, AMEL, night, IFR, etc etc the same way.

Depends on your objective. AirlineApps count all dual received (even your instrument) as SIC, even though you may have been legal to log/act as PIC under 61.31 & 61.51.

You’d probably have to go back and manually update it I guess to make it read correctly. (if it’s your first app and all)

How do you all calculate your total time from your logbook? When I've posed this question in the past (not here), I get a ton of different questions. So looking for a genral consensus. I currently add my airplane SEL and airplane MEL time together to get my total time. While others have told me that you add everything to get your total time. So in their book, in addition to Airplane SEL and MEL. It sounds like they're adding dual received, PIC, day/night and cross country et al. to come to their totals. I don't know if I exactly agree with that thinking.

And before anyone asks. Yes I actually do have my IR rating and all my other ratings and certs as well. Ask about a mf on the FAA registry. No I don't know how to use an ADF, NDB, or an OBS style VOR. But willing to learn if taught. No, I'm not a child of the magenta line. And yes after all of that. I'm still a competent and safe pilot and able to navigate safely from place to place. With zero accidents and incidents on my record. That should just about cover it, all right? Right??? #triggered

but have you paid your dues?

:biggrin:

No I don't know how to use an ADF, NDB, or an OBS style VOR
Rules of bearing pointer type instruments.

You’re on the tail of the needle - but you don’t know the distance without more information. The head of the needle will ALWAYS fall and the tail will always rise because the needle always points at the station. Consequently you can push the head of the needle and pull the tail of the needle until they match what you want. That’s it.

1. Figure out the bearing from (radial) to the station you are on by visualizing the needle overplayed over the DG or moving the knob of it’s a variable card type.

2. figure out if you need to push the head or pull the tail to move the course back where you want.

3. Do that. Go to step 1.

The whole process is like an RMI if you have used one - but you have to do some of the math in your head.

All an OBS style VOR allows you to figure out what radial you’re on (bearing from the station). Set the radial you want to be on with the OBS. Note the needle deflection, fly towards the needle to get on that radial.

The best way to practice these skills and build an intuitive understanding of what’s happening is to just do it a lot. That’s expensive so use this:

You’re on the tail of the needle - but you don’t know the distance without more information. The head of the needle will ALWAYS fall and the tail will always rise because the needle always points at the station. Consequently you can push the head of the needle and pull the tail of the needle until they match what you want. That’s it.

1. Figure out the bearing from (radial) to the station you are on by visualizing the needle overplayed over the DG or moving the knob of it’s a variable card type.

2. figure out if you need to push the head or pull the tail to move the course back where you want.

The whole process is like an RMI if you have used one - but you have to do some of the math in your head.

All an OBS style VOR allows you to figure out what radial you’re on (bearing from the station). Set the radial you want to be on with the OBS. Note the needle deflection, fly towards the needle to get on that radial.

The best way to practice these skills and build an intuitive understanding of what’s happening is to just do it a lot. That’s expensive so use this:
I had to do an NDB approach for my SAAB type ride. That was a pain.

I had to do an NDB approach for my SAAB type ride. That was a pain.
Tbh I love NDBs but they’re old AF.

But with an RMI they’re awesome - they’re cheap to operate, after it “clicks” they’re really easy to use, and you can listen to the radio with them!

Why anyone would try to use one without an RMI is a mystery to me.

The fall is quickly approaching, so I'm putting in tons of apps for survey season starting in Oct/Nov. I'm not at the Airline apps phase yet. But for resumes, should I parrot what Airline apps wants? If so then I'd be at like 1200-1300 tt.

Thank you for that reply it was a very detailed and non judgemental way to mentor other still on the come up with your experience. And not to bash others over their heads with your scads of hours and experience. I really appreciate your approach. Unlike others on the site.

How do you all calculate your total time from your logbook? When I've posed this question in the past (not here), I get a ton of different questions. So looking for a genral consensus. I currently add my airplane SEL and airplane MEL time together to get my total time. While others have told me that you add everything to get your total time. So in their book, in addition to Airplane SEL and MEL. It sounds like they're adding dual received, PIC, day/night and cross country et al. to come to their totals. I don't know if I exactly agree with that thinking.

And before anyone asks. Yes I actually do have my IR rating and all my other ratings and certs as well. Ask about a mf on the FAA registry. No I don't know how to use an ADF, NDB, or an OBS style VOR. But willing to learn if taught. No, I'm not a child of the magenta line. And yes after all of that. I'm still a competent and safe pilot and able to navigate safely from place to place. With zero accidents and incidents on my record. That should just about cover it, all right? Right??? #triggered
Is this a trick question?

Total time is just that. SE, ME, Helo, Sea/Floats, Dual, SIC. It all counts as Total Time

Thank you for that reply it was a very detailed and non judgemental way to mentor other still on the come up with your experience. And not to bash others over their heads with your scads of hours and experience. I really appreciate your approach. Unlike others on the site.
Least I can do!

Also, like, remember, people are • a lot of the time - how can you be expected to know something if you’ve never done it?

I’ve never used an A-N style airway - if someone tried to give me a hard time over that it’d be ridiculous - the same is true of this, it’s an old ass and largely antiquated technology in the modern era - it can be useful to know, at that time learn it, but if you never see it it’s not some sort of moral failing.

Also, the “children of the magenta” is somewhat of an overplayed meme any more - the more annoying thing when I was a check airman was guys who just didn’t know how to use their avionics. Like - if you have a GPS and an autopilot, you should know how to use them.

Did the NDB full approach in IMC into PAFB in the 737-200 when the ASR/PAR was down, a while back. Was simple enough, teardrop course reversal, be fully configured during the inbound turn.

RNP or bust.

Every 737 I walk into, the ADF is off. I have no clue how ADF approaches work ;) but I’m the lone guy who throws on the ADF on the center panel just to screw with other pilots. ;)

Tbh I love NDBs but they’re old AF.

But with an RMI they’re awesome - they’re cheap to operate, after it “clicks” they’re really easy to use, and you can listen to the radio with them!

Why anyone would try to use one without an RMI is a mystery to me.
Yep. It's like most things, if you use them somewhat regularly they're not bad. But this was my first time using an NDB and RMI.

If I remember right, it was an NDB approach in Memphis for the ride. Might have even been a circling approach.
Did the NDB full approach in IMC into PAFB in the 737-200 when the ASR/PAR was down, a while back. Was simple enough, teardrop course reversal, be fully configured during the inbound turn.
They're not bad if you do them regularly.

Back